PDA

View Full Version : I just met Ron Paul! Back from the Columbia rally

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I've been donating to the Ron Paul campaign since May when I first discovered him on youtube. I donate every month and am a daily googler for Dr. Paul. I haven't gone to any rallies or participated in my local meetups because I'm a bit anti-social. I saw that he was coming to Columbia and I'm only about an hour and a half away so I decided to make the drive down there with my ten year old son.

I got there a little late and Dr. Paul was already speaking when I arrived. My son and I were stoked when we saw Ron Paul in person. There was a decent sized crowd there but not as big as I had hoped. I estimated there were about a hundred or so there. The majority of the crowd looked to be college students. There were a few army soldiers there in uniform as well. It felt amazing to hear his message in person and stand beside fellow Ron Paul heads and cheer together. His speech was a bit different than I had heard on youtube but the content was the same. We all chimed in unison during certain parts, finishing his sentences. My son even yelled along.

After he finished, about half the crowd bolted. Some were saying that they'd be back tommorow. I figured they had already met Dr. Paul. There was a huge line and we waited about 25 minutes to get to meet him. He signed my son's Ron Paul sign and he shook both our hands. I told him that it was an honor and that I knew he could win this. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I have no pics.

Well, this is a start for me. I plan to start getting more involved now in the whole grassroots movement now that I've had a taste of it.

me3
11-02-2007, 09:59 PM
That's awesome Pete. I'm happy you brought your son along.

bulloncoins
11-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I met him at his birthday bash this year here in Texas. It really is a great feeling to shake the hand of such a great American, and someone I can finally believe in.

Glad you have decided to get more involved.

American
11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Thats awesome, I really regret not seeing him when he was at the google campus. I hope he makes another trip this way.

Sounds like you and your son had a good time.

:)

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 10:16 PM
That's awesome Pete. I'm happy you brought your son along.

Thanks. I'm glad that my son even cares. He was really into being there and meeting Ron Paul. We watch his youtube videos together constantly. Last year he studied the Constitution and Revolutionary War, so the concepts of liberty and limited government make perfect sense to him. It's kind of a sad statement about America that a child can understand these ideas better than many adults.

I met him at his birthday bash this year here in Texas. It really is a great feeling to shake the hand of such a great American, and someone I can finally believe in.

Glad you have decided to get more involved.

Thanks. I felt surreal at first. I have been watching him on the internet and TV for so many months now, it felt like I had stepped into a youtube video, if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to anybody really. I was looking forward to some great conversations with like minded people, but it didn't happen. I met the Granny Warrior but she acted like she didn't want to talk to me. I don't know what was up with that. People weren't as friendly as I hoped, but I'm shy so maybe that's just how I percieved it. I have a hard time in the South because I look hispanic and people treat me like a foreigner all the time even though my family has been in the US since the 1800s.

Syren123
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks. I'm glad that my son even cares. He was really into being there and meeting Ron Paul. We watch his youtube videos together constantly. Last year he studied the Constitution and Revolutionary War, so the concepts of liberty and limited government make perfect sense to him. It's kind of a sad statement about America that a child can understand these ideas better than many adults.

Thanks. I felt surreal at first. I have been watching him on the internet and TV for so many months now, it felt like I had stepped into a youtube video, if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to anybody really. I was looking forward to some great conversations with like minded people, but it didn't happen. I met the Granny Warrior but she acted like she didn't want to talk to me. I don't know what was up with that. People weren't as friendly as I hoped, but I'm shy so maybe that's just how I percieved it. I have a hard time in the South because I look hispanic and people treat me like a foreigner all the time even though my family has been in the US since the 1800s.

Glad you got to meet the Great One, Pete.
You might want to think about joining your local meetup...just check it out. It's a lot easier to meet RP minded people there than at a rally. In fact, a lot of times, the people at the rallies all know each other from doing other RP events and functions so it becomes kind of a friendship thing. At least that's how it's working here in CA for us.

It does happen, however, that some meetups end up being crazy. If you don't like it, don't go back. But you'll never know unless you give it a try.

constitutional
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM

I wish I can share your excitement.

I'm a foreigner and I'm sure you will find great people at rallies/meet up once you get to know the right ones.

lx43
11-02-2007, 10:35 PM
What area of the stand where you located?

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
What area of the stand where you located?

I stood in the grass because the amphitheatre was full. My son stood beside me on a large concrete block, standing above the crowd.

lx43
11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't remember there was so many people there. I'd been more than happy to talk with you. With the RP campaign I finally feel there are some people out there that identify with my views of govt. I am not politically homeless anymore. :D

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Glad you got to meet the Great One, Pete.
You might want to think about joining your local meetup...just check it out. It's a lot easier to meet RP minded people there than at a rally. In fact, a lot of times, the people at the rallies all know each other from doing other RP events and functions so it becomes kind of a friendship thing. At least that's how it's working here in CA for us.

It does happen, however, that some meetups end up being crazy. If you don't like it, don't go back. But you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Thanks for the tip. I already joined my local meetup, but I have yet to attend any events. Like I said, I'm anti-social, not because I don't like people. People are just weird to me, I think because they can't comprehend that I am American. I know that sounds funny, but it's true. I used to live out in the Southwest and I never had those issues, but in the South, people see my dark skin and just assume that I'm Mexican. I'm not even Hispanic. People don't know how to speak to me. They often talk to me like a child as if I can't understand their complex vocabularies.

Syren123
11-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the tip. I already joined my local meetup, but I have yet to attend any events. Like I said, I'm anti-social, not because I don't like people. People are just weird to me, I think because they can't comprehend that I am American. I know that sounds funny, but it's true. I used to live out in the Southwest and I never had those issues, but in the South, people see my dark skin and just assume that I'm Mexican. I'm not even Hispanic. People don't know how to speak to me. They often talk to me like a child as if I can't understand their complex vocabularies.

Pete...people are weird. That's just the way it is.
The great thing about RP meetups and this whole revolution in general is the opportunity to meet like-minded people you would NEVER have met otherwise. You don't have to like them all, but guaranteed you will make at least one or two new friends who will be permanent. You just have to get out there a little bit and give it some time. Yoiu have a boy so obviously SOMEONE thinks you're pretty great...so why worry what a few mouthbreathers think?

Stay clear of the obvious knuckledraggers, strike up a few RP conversations with some friendly folks, and it will happen.

I've met more great people in the last 6 months than I have met in the last 10 years, not to mention three of my biggest heroes (Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, Ed Griffin). I know you'll meet a kindred spirit as well.

constitutional
11-02-2007, 10:57 PM

I'm not a U.S. citizen and only been in U.S. for about 7 years. I live in MD and people are nice here and in North East.

You should move to North East if that's an issue for you. I use to feel like you do but the feelings faded away once I started interacting with a lot of people.

Don't let the influence you have on yourself get to your son. Stayyy positve. :rolleyes:

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't remember there was so many people there. I'd been more than happy to talk with you. With the RP campaign I finally feel there are some people out there that identify with my views of govt. I am not politically homeless anymore. :D

I wish that I had the chance to speak with you. My son is the only one that even cares to listen to what Ron Paul has to say. I try to talk about Ron Paul to other family members but they are really hostile to his posistions. My brother-in-law stopped talking to me, because I told him that we should get out of Iraq as soon as possible. He said we need to stay. I asked him the question, "How many lives are worth losing in Iraq?" And he replied, "As many as it takes." We haven't gotten along since. Some people act like this whole damned war is a movie. They have no empathy for the people that are suffering because of it.

Dlynne
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Some people act like this whole damned war is a movie. They have no empathy for the people that are suffering because of it.

That is a good observation: people act like it is a movie. That attitude might be changing, though, even if the change is happening very slowly. :(

Pete Kay
11-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm not a U.S. citizen and only been in U.S. for about 7 years. I live in MD and people are nice here and in North East.

You should move to North East if that's an issue for you. I use to feel like you do but the feelings faded away once I started interacting with a lot of people.

Don't let the influence you have on yourself get to your son. Stayyy positve. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you can sympathise with me. I appreciate that. I do try to make an effort to be positive. That's why I drove down to see Ron Paul. :)

constitutional
11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I wish that I had the chance to speak with you. My son is the only one that even cares to listen to what Ron Paul has to say. I try to talk about Ron Paul to other family members but they are really hostile to his posistions. My brother-in-law stopped talking to me, because I told him that we should get out of Iraq as soon as possible. He said we need to stay. I asked him the question, "How many lives are worth losing in Iraq?" And he replied, "As many as it takes." We haven't gotten along since. Some people act like this whole damned war is a movie. They have no empathy for the people that are suffering because of it.

You guys have not talked to each other? Where is the political tolerance? This nation has come a long way because we tolerate other people's views no matter how absurd. And if your brother-in-law is a stubborn, let it be. There are people like that but that should not stop your good relationship with them.

vegetarianrpfan
11-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi Pete, I'm very glad you got to go and brought your son along. It's too bad we didn't get to chat, I would have been happy to talk with you! There are two Granny Warriors... maybe the one you met was missing her monkey, who couldn't make it down for the festivities due to government bureacracy (required vets' visits for monkeys entering South Carolina!)

I have recently met a few Iraq War veterans who are for Dr. Paul and against the war, and they make a very eloquent case. It seems that people like your brother-in-law really do not comprehend that even one soldier's life is not worth losing if it does the country no good in the end; our presence in Iraq makes things worse and serves as a recruiting tool. I can see how that can make your relationship with him more difficult, because it seems to imply a lack of compassion for those brave enough to serve and protect us in our military forces.

I'm glad that you are teaching your son the ways of liberty and freedom :D He will definitely thank you later on.

rancher89
11-03-2007, 06:24 AM
There were all sorts of people there, Muslems, Confederates, active duty, Birchers, old, young, black, white, brown. I'm sorry you got a "cold shoulder." My husband had a fine talk with the Muslem students for RP and I had a nice talke with the Bircher fellow also. The Granny Warrior I talked to seemed a little tired, but upbeat. There was an active duty SC Reserve fellow there in uniform. He had taken his name patch off and had obviously grown some facial hair while on leave. He said that RP had lots of support among his friends, but they were afraid to violate rules by showing up.

We had the large American flag and blue tarp Veterans for Ron Paul. We had endless numbers of people come by and take our picture and talk a bit.

vegetarianrpfan
11-03-2007, 07:55 PM
... There was an active duty SC Reserve fellow there in uniform. He had taken his name patch off and had obviously grown some facial hair while on leave. He said that RP had lots of support among his friends, but they were afraid to violate rules by showing up.

One of the people in Army uniform was behind me in the line to meet Ron Paul, and was so excited to meet him. It is very good to see so many current military members supporting the only candidate who truly supports them.

rancher89
11-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm glad that you can sympathise with me. I appreciate that. I do try to make an effort to be positive. That's why I drove down to see Ron Paul. :)

Pete Kay,

Glad you came down. I think you may have under estimated the number of people there. From the pictures I took there were several hundred people there after the event just standing in line to meet Ron Paul in person. I tried to get a quick estimate from looking at the stands and you you were right they were full and if you got there late you had to stand outside of the ampi-theater. Not sure how many people it holds but it was full and overflowing! My meetup group had almost 20 people there and we were in one small section. I'd say there were at least 500-700 people there. If not 1000.:)

Pete Kay
11-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Pete Kay,

Glad you came down. I think you may have under estimated the number of people there. From the pictures I took there were several hundred people there after the event just standing in line to meet Ron Paul in person. I tried to get a quick estimate from looking at the stands and you you were right they were full and if you got there late you had to stand outside of the ampi-theater. Not sure how many people it holds but it was full and overflowing! My meetup group had almost 20 people there and we were in one small section. I'd say there were at least 500-700 people there. If not 1000.:)

I may have been wrong. I originally thought it was around 200, but my son convinced me that it was closer to 100. It definitely was not 1000. Maybe somewhere in the middle? Anyway, it's not all that important. What was important was the passion that was evident for what Ron Paul was saying. Passion is what motivates people to vote.

I'm really glad that I went. I finally put a bumper sticker on my car and a yard sign out on my lawn. I've dealt with a lot of ridicule from my family towards my support for Ron Paul and honestly I was worried about throwing my support out there publicly. But now that I went to the rally, I felt a part of something. There's a huge chasm between looking at Ron Paul on youtube and attending a Ron Paul rally. Now that I felt that fire, I truly understand the passion that so many on this board feel.