PDA

View Full Version : Why just run ads in Iowa and NH? Late night cable is cheap.

Razmear
08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
The subject pretty much says it all. These ads could be run in late night cable bulk buys and get a significant amount of attention. Voting doesn't start in Iowa or NH for quite sometime, but donations could be coming in as a result of these ads from all over the country.
Is there any good reason not to start running "The One" nationwide in the cheapest spots available?

eb

PastaRocket848
08-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Because grandma goes to bed early lol

Razmear
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
We don't need grandma til polling time comes, stoners with disposable income would be a financial boost right now.

CaptUSA
08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, the nice thing about making this huge buy is that you get free media to go with it. I've seen parts of this ad repeated 3 different times today on the cable channels.

Johncjackson
08-16-2011, 05:40 PM
What was the buy? I checked Google news for Ron Paul and read these forums, but I haven't read anything about the media buy, only the existence of a commercial.

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Because the campaign doesn't have the money! When you're running a tight campaign you have to be very very selective about how you spend your money, and running a nationwide commercial is out of the question.

hueylong
08-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Late night cable time is cheap for a reason. It's a small audience, and not the people you're looking to get to.

Razmear
08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Late night cable time is cheap for a reason. It's a small audience, and not the people you're looking to get to.

There was a grassroots campaign last cycle that bought cheap cable ads for Ron Paul, think they paid less than $20 per spot. The idea came very late in the campaign and if I remember correct it had positive results. Maybe this is something for the PAC to do, but they would not be able to use official Ron Paul ads.
Ron has about 75% name recognition. I believe the other 25% would vote for him, or maybe send a few bucks if they were exposed to ads like The One, and those 25% are probably the ones up at 3am watching bad movies on the SciFi channel.

eb

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2011, 06:54 PM
FACT: Local citizens can produce support ads and buy them. Don't know if it would be advised but why not?

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
There was a grassroots campaign last cycle that bought cheap cable ads for Ron Paul, think they paid less than $20 per spot. The idea came very late in the campaign and if I remember correct it had positive results. Maybe this is something for the PAC to do, but they would not be able to use official Ron Paul ads.
Ron has about 75% name recognition. I believe the other 25% would vote for him, or maybe send a few bucks if they were exposed to ads like The One, and those 25% are probably the ones up at 3am watching bad movies on the SciFi channel.

eb

The campaign does not have money to do this. They had to PULL the conviction ad in Iowa (per Doug Wead) because they didn't have the money. They are trying to break through onto the national scene by doing really well in Iowa, and running a national cable campaign no matter how cheap, is not in their plans.

Rede
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Is there any good reason not to start running "The One" nationwide in the cheapest spots available?

Haven't you heard? Ron Paul doesn't have a chance - he's unelectable.

In all seriousness, that's why.

You can't convince the entire nation that you're electable while the national media has decided and is saying that you aren't, when media buys are incredibly expensive for and opponents are getting free exposure, and when you have to get a message like Dr. Paul's across in sound bites and 60 second debate answers. Like it or not, the national stage is not where he shines.

Truthfully, Dr Paul does better when he has time to have a discussion, make nuanced arguments and connect with people. He does better when he can distribute cookbooks and show off his family. Long story short, our guy really shines at the local level and you can campaign locally in the early primary and caucus states.

Fortunately for us, Ron doesn't have to convince the entire country he's electable and worth voting for. He doesn't have to convince the national media that he's electable either. He just has to prove it and win one of Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina while being competitive in the others. If he focuses on that, he can run a campaign a lot like Rand's targetting local tea parties, interest groups and the average person on the street. I like how that campaign ended.

I like the choice to focus the ad-buys where they are.

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Haven't you heard? Ron Paul doesn't have a chance - he's unelectable.

In all seriousness, that's why.

You can't convince the entire nation that you're electable while the national media has decided and is saying that you aren't, when media buys are incredibly expensive for and opponents are getting free exposure, and when you have to get a message like Dr. Paul's across in sound bites and 60 second debate answers. Like it or not, the national stage is not where he shines.

Truthfully, Dr Paul does better when he has time to have a discussion, make nuanced arguments and connect with people. He does better when he can distribute cookbooks and show off his family. Long story short, our guy really shines at the local level and you can campaign locally in the early primary and caucus states.

Fortunately for us, Ron doesn't have to convince the entire country he's electable and worth voting for. He doesn't have to convince the national media that he's electable either. He just has to prove it and win one of Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina while being competitive in the others. If he focuses on that, he can run a campaign a lot like Rand's targetting local tea parties, interest groups and the average person on the street. I like how that campaign ended.

I like the choice to focus the ad-buys where they are.

Agreed. If he wants to be taken seriously he has to break through in an early state.

AdamT
08-16-2011, 07:10 PM
It's cheap for a reason: no one's watching.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
It's cheap for a reason: no one's watching.

Not always the case. Talk radio usually gets shit ratings but has high volume. Reason, rich people and educated people don't give a shit about $1 or whatever to fill out an arbitron book.

kylejack
08-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Late night cable has negative stigma. Being mixed in with people selling miracle elixirs, local scrap metal shops, budget furniture stores, and cash 4 gold is not the message we want to send.

parocks
08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
FACT: Local citizens can produce support ads and buy them. Don't know if it would be advised but why not?

What about local citizens paying to air "the one"?

BamaFanNKy
08-17-2011, 05:58 AM
What about local citizens paying to air "the one"?

NO! That would be illegal.

anewvoice
08-17-2011, 06:21 AM
The campaign does not have money to do this. They had to PULL the conviction ad in Iowa (per Doug Wead) because they didn't have the money. They are trying to break through onto the national scene by doing really well in Iowa, and running a national cable campaign no matter how cheap, is not in their plans.

I'll be interested to see the financials, I'm all for pushing for more money but I do not buy this campaign ran out of money bit. We're bragging about only having spent 400k in Iowa, whereas Pawlenty went all in for 1 million. We raised over 4.5 million in Q2. Not sure if flights and staff are included but that's a wide gap.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Why not spend the money better by giving it to the campaign so that they can target specific areas with mail and phone calls?

NO! That would be illegal.
What if they edited it so that the "paid for by RP 2012 PCC" wasn't on the video?

Not always the case. Talk radio usually gets shit ratings but has high volume. Reason, rich people and educated people don't give a shit about $1 or whatever to fill out an arbitron book.Actually it's my understanding that in many markets talk is the highest rated. I know that talk stations tend to draw the most revenue.

RonPaul101.com
08-17-2011, 07:41 AM
I'll be interested to see the financials, I'm all for pushing for more money but I do not buy this campaign ran out of money bit. We're bragging about only having spent 400k in Iowa, whereas Pawlenty went all in for 1 million. We raised over 4.5 million in Q2. Not sure if flights and staff are included but that's a wide gap.

True, those who claim they pulled ads because they ran out of money are wrong. They pulled the ads because they reached the point where they no longer deliver good value for the campaign's dollar. Same would be true for nationwide ad's at this early point. Think of folks outside this political relm; they are not focused on politics yet, so the message would likely be wasted.