PDA

View Full Version : Righthaven rocked, owes $34,000 after "fair use" loss

DamianTV
08-16-2011, 03:30 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/08/righthaven-rocked-owes-34000-after-fair-use-loss.ars

Then the defense lawyers wanted to be paid. They asked for $34,000 in fees, arguing that they had won the case. To avoid paying the opposing lawyers, Righthaven recently argued that fees could not be awarded; since Righthaven had no standing to sue in the first place, it argued, the court had no jurisdiction over the case at all, not even to assign legal fees.

Just this quick little excerpt from the article shows what kind of mentality these idiots have!

Kotin
08-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Lol fail..

Yieu
08-16-2011, 03:57 PM
They're arguing against their own interests for the sake of not paying a fee they owe.

Romulus
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
haha bitches.

AdamT
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
This is beautiful irony.

DamianTV
08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok, Serious Question:

Is providing a Link to the Source and putting whatever is copied from the article in Quotes sufficient that both the Forums and Individual Forum Members wont get sued by money grubbing dirtbag companies like this? We all post (well, at least I do) News Articles that have relevance to other Forum Members. And I'd just hate to see anyone have to put up with the hassle of courts and litigation from these Hemmoroids that do nothing but make linking to news articles a Royal Pain in the Ass (hence the hemmoroid comment) for everyone!

PeacePlan
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok, Serious Question:

Is providing a Link to the Source and putting whatever is copied from the article in Quotes sufficient that both the Forums and Individual Forum Members wont get sued by money grubbing dirtbag companies like this? We all post (well, at least I do) News Articles that have relevance to other Forum Members. And I'd just hate to see anyone have to put up with the hassle of courts and litigation from these Hemmoroids that do nothing but make linking to news articles a Royal Pain in the Ass (hence the hemmoroid comment) for everyone!

It would be very hard to sue Ron Paul Forums because they are not profiting from it. If you take something that someone writes and charge a price like even dues or membership they would have a better chance. Providing links to stories when you are not making anything from it is a benefit for them (the authors) IMO

Anything is possible in this age of lawsuits gone wild? I am no legal expert though and this is just my opinion.