PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a socratic method of opening a liberals eyes to Ron Paul -- conversation inside

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Probably one of the most frustrating conversations I've ever had so far.

My text is red, her's is green:

i'm not a republican

???

the ron paul invite you sent me

Still, what does that have to do with anything?

he's a republicna

So?

i don't like republicana
*republicans

What do you like?

democrats

What if a democrat acts like a republican?

its hard when the republicans control the house

lol
My question was what if a democrat acts like a republican. How do you feel toward that democrat? I'm not even talking about Obama, but it's encouraging that you at least noticed.

lol
i'm not an idiot like most americans

So, are you going to answer the question?

yea
it depends on what the person believes in
certain values are really important to me

So what you said earlier might not always be true, then? I mean, about liking democrats, and not liking republicans?

i haven't found one i like
they need to support gay marriage at least

So if a republican supported gay marriage, you'd at least listen to what he had to say?

yup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJz81lAwY0M
forward to the 2 minute mark

kk
but i g2
g
bye

Cognitive Dissonance... that's our biggest enemy here, not the media.

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I hope I planted a seed.

hillertexas
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
well done!! +rep

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
well done!! +rep

Thanks but I was hoping she would stick around a bit... lol... who suddenly has somewhere to be at 1:45 in the afternoon? Argh.

hillertexas
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks but I was hoping she would stick around a bit... lol... who suddenly has somewhere to be at 1:45 in the afternoon? Argh.

I'm bet she thought about it all night.

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm bet she thought about it all night.

That convo just happened 20 minutes ago. Hopefully she thinks about it all day. :P

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Let me know if you watched the video, k?

i watched it
he tip toes around the subject though

How so?

he's against it but he doesn't really care
he's trying to appeal to the gay community but he's not personally for it

Those aren't his motives. He's not trying to appeal to any community. He is staunchly pro-personal liberty. He's also "against" pot, but he thinks it should be legal.

i watched the whole video
people can say whatever they want

implying is more difficult

implying?

sorry
implementing

That's true for any candidate.

yea

It has to be nice to know that there is a republican out there who is pro gay-marriage, though, right?

eh

If he wanted to be "popular" or appeal to his party, he wouldn't say things like that.

it might help
but it's not that, i don't trust the stupid people who vote
people think bachman and palin are amazing

I know, they're nuts.
Check this out... http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-15-2011/indecision-2012---corn-polled-edition---ron-paul---the-top-tier
Jon Stewart is hilarious.
That video says the same thing you just said to me. lol

if bachman wins, i'm leaving the country ASAP

Really, why is that? (I'm inclined to do the same, but just wondering what your specific reasons are)

she's a freaking nut case

I agree, but why do you say that?

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/republicans/a/michele-bachmann-quotes.htm

Any thing in there specific that you find crazy?

she says a lot of stuff without thinking
or any background info

Yeah she is similar to Sarah Palin for that reason. And many other politicians. But that isn't crazy, that's just a politician banking on the audience not doing any research.
Is there anything she has specifically said that makes you think she's nuts?

i try to avoid her

Are you saying you've never seen or heard her say anything that makes you think she's nuts?

libertyjam
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
You need to not put her on the spot so much, surprised she's even still talking to you. I guarantee she's thinking about bolting after the last couple of lines.

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
You need to not put her on the spot so much, surprised she's even still talking to you. I guarantee she's thinking about bolting after the last couple of lines.

I'm holding back so hard!

cucucachu0000
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
lol thats pretty funny. who cares about bachmann tho ask her about why obama hasnt ended the wars or gotten rid of guantanamo or stopped the policy of sending people to be tortured in other countries? and they show her some videos of him speaking against it.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-16-2011, 05:09 PM
You have way more patience than me. I would've written off that dingbat near the beginning. She sounds like a partisan Democrat who doesn't even know why, and doesn't give it much thought. All your work would be turned around in two seconds of listening to her lib friends.