PDA

View Full Version : 'Conservative' Hispanics Rallying to Side of Rick Perry

AuH20
08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Not surprisingly at all. Globalista Perry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/16/deedee-garcia-blase-tea-party_n_927723.html#s330805&title=Bachmann_2012

To bolster Somos' influence, Blase said she plans to release a scorecard grading every candidate for office around the country on a host of issues, including immigration. If she were to grade them now, she said, Michele Bachmann would receive the lowest score -- an F.

Rick Perry would earn a B, she said. He would have gotten an A, she added, had he not added a measure to an emergency session of the state senate earlier which would have essentially given police officers more authority to ask about the immigration status of detainees.

That measure "fired up Latinos in Texas," she said, and she didn't mean in a good way.

One of the "fired up" Texas Latinos is Lauro Garza, a retired police officer who has also worked as a U.S. Customs agent and a history teacher, and who sprinkles his conversations with spot-on impressions of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Cheech Marin, among others. A few years ago he combined some of these talents to start a conservative talk show on the Internet.

"I used to say that my objective was 'to promote Latinos among Republicans and to promote Republicans among Latinos,'" Garza said, "and as I became more and more frustrated with the way things were going with the Republican party, as the tide of nativism rode in, I used to say 'to teach Republicans to have some damn respect for Latinos.'"

He wrote a blog, too, and after some of his postings came to Blase's attention, she signed him on to lead the Texas chapter of Somos Republicans. "We're trying to mitigate the damage to the Republican reputation," he said.

In his capacity as a Somos leader, Garza said he has had lunch with Rick Perry on two occasions.

"I was impressed," Garza said, adding that he doesn't usually feel that way about people. "I used to jump out of helicopters," he explained.

Perry struck him as confident, funny, "very conservative," and, crucially, sympathetic to Mexican Americans.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Slick Dick