PDA

View Full Version : Buying votes?

robertwerden
11-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Is it illegal to pay someone for a vote?
I was wondering what would happen if a candidate or even someone who supports a candidate offered money for a vote.

SWATH
11-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I bought one tonight. It cost $20. A college student walked up to me on the street and said that his friends girlfriend ran off with his car and it had his backpack and keys in it, and he was looking for $14 for a cab to get home. He seemed sincere and said he had been asking people for 30 minutes and nobody would help him, I believed him so I gave him $20. He said that he appreciated it and he would pay me back, I said no thanks but you can do me a favor, I pulled out a slim jim, handed it to him and said "vote for this man". He looked at it for a second and said "sure thing".

constitutional
11-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I bought one tonight. It cost $20. A college student walked up to me on the street and said that his friends girlfriend ran off with his car and it had his backpack and keys in it, and he was looking for $14 for a cab to get home. He seemed sincere and said he had been asking people for 30 minutes and nobody would help him, I believed him so I gave him $20. He said that he appreciated it and he would pay me back, I said no thanks but you can do me a favor, I pulled out a slim jim, handed it to him and said "vote for this man". He looked at it for a second and said "sure thing".

Nice of you, thank you.

aspiringconstitutionalist
11-02-2007, 09:20 PM

And just think... right now, he's buying drugs with that $20, and that slim jim is crumpled up lying in a sewer somewhere.

j/k.

piotr1
11-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Cool Story. I think i did something similar like that once, but i can't remember....lol

Kregener
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Buying votes has been the political norm in America for 100 years.

SWATH
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
And just think... right now, he's buying drugs with that $20, and that slim jim is crumpled up lying in a sewer somewhere.

j/k.

Yeah maybe, but I honestly believed him. He was well dressed, clean shaven, and articulate, and right after I gave him the money he went across the street to a UDF and made a phone call (calling a cab...or his dealer).

me3
11-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Isn't this totally illegal?

Thread lock and bury?

Kregener
11-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, censor everything, especially conversation...

DjLoTi
11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm sure you can pay people to go out and vote, but I don't know about paying somebody to vote for a specific candidate. I think it would only work if you had a set contract though, otherwise, who's going to argue it in court?

me3
11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, censor everything, especially conversation...
Is it or is it not illegal?

moonbat
11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Is it or is it not illegal?

Ask Mr. Romney, he would probably know. :p

Corydoras
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I can't find a source on it through a casual web search, and I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that vote buying is classified as a form of electoral fraud.

constitutional
11-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Ask Mr. Romney, he would probably know. :p

Mitt: Forget that it's a moral issue and lets consult our lawyers. :D