PDA

View Full Version : Mother of all historical archive treasures - Reagan: A Time for Choosing

OferNave
11-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Pre-rant: This is possibly the most important piece of media for promoting our efforts I've ever seen, and I'm posting it without a bunch of obnoxious exclamation points, capital letters, and large font sizes.

I just stumbled across this video on Google Video. It's a 28 minute speech given by Ronald Reagan in 1964, and if you replaced him with Ron Paul in that video, you might not have noticed the difference. 28 minutes, and he says just about everything Ron Paul says, exactly as he says, and says almost nothing that Ron Paul would disagree with.

Why is this obscure? Why is this not the masthead of our army?

I never really knew much about Reagan (I'm 29). After this video, I understand why people were such rabid followers. In fact, it reminds me of another, contemporary movement... :)

Anyway, here it is. Watch it, discuss it, pass it along - and please find some way to make it impossible for the MSM to ignore.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4770988975023965161

Adamsa
11-02-2007, 07:19 PM
The early Republican years of Reagan were very very very Ron Paul like.

American
11-02-2007, 07:22 PM
This is one of my favorite video, this is when Reagan supported Goldwater, I hope the outcome is different though. great video.

klamath
11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I wasn't quite old enough in '64 but I was 14 in '76 and I was every bit as rabid as the kids on here for Reagan. Ron Paul is the first politician since Reagan that I have felt passion for.

MEGAMERICAN
11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
That is a great speech. Too bad the Reagan from 1964 wasn't in control of his Presidency. Reagan should have chosen Ron Paul for his running mate.

CurtisLow
11-02-2007, 07:35 PM
I put that on CD about a month ago. Great speech!

OferNave
11-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok, you all seem to agree that it rocks, and that there are similarities.

So what now? Aren't all the current Republican candidates obsessed with Reagan, and inheriting his legacy? And doesn't this video make it crystal clear that Ron Paul wins that contest, hands down? Shouldn't this video be able to single-handedly win the vast majority of the Republican vote?

I ain't been a Republican for very long (registered a few months ago for the primary election in NH), so I'm some of you can shed light on this.

klamath
11-02-2007, 08:26 PM
The trouble with the present republicans is they all give lip service to small government and such but they don't stick to their word. When Reagan ran in '76 he was running against the party elite and I heard ever bit of the same words against Reagan as we hear against RP. He can't win, he is too extreme, etc, etc. When he beat them in '80 they joined in but altered his ideas back to their own but called themselves "Reagan conservatives". They try and say that they are standing up to to Iran like Reagan did the Soviets but Reagan won that war with a defensive (key word defense) buildup. As RP states Iran is no Soviet empire. They are no threat to the US. About 10 years ago I was on the East coast and walked in sorrow the hallowed ground of Gettysburg, the Vietnam memorial and the Korean memorial and wondered why we have these memorials for the dead of horrible strategic and deplomatic failures, yet no momument to the war that was never fought but was won. In my generation many people thought that it was only a matter of time before the Soviet's and the US blew each other off the face of this earth.

ASayre
11-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Someone needs to make a vid that has Reagan saying something great, then ron paul saying almost the same thing, then Reagan saying something else and ron paul again matching it...

And on and on.

I wish I had the artistic skills to do things :<

me3
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I wish Dr. Paul could deliver a speech like Reagan. The message is powerful but the delivery is sometimes too "off the cuff" and gets sidetracked.

ksuguy
11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Someone needs to make a vid that has Reagan saying something great, then ron paul saying almost the same thing, then Reagan saying something else and ron paul again matching it...

And on and on.

I second this! This would be awesome for showing to republican voters.

OptionsTrader
11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
This speech is often called "The Speech."

foofighter20x
11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Another good Reagan Speech:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=744_1183338000

constitutional
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I wish Dr. Paul could deliver a speech like Reagan. The message is powerful but the delivery is sometimes too "off the cuff" and gets sidetracked.

Agreed. RP's speech need to be well written like this.

Ron Paul Fan
11-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Wrong. Ron Paul has his shortcomings, but the message has no shortcomings. The message of liberty is what America is all about.

me3
11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Wrong. Ron Paul has his shortcomings, but the message has no shortcomings. The message of liberty is what America is all about.
Actually, I think you mean, "right".

I said the delivery was the issue, not the message itself.

xerxesdarius
11-02-2007, 09:10 PM

And on and on.

I hate to say it, but this is the most brilliant idea offered in some time on how to convert republicans. I had seen this many times and love the speech. Moreover, most long-time Republicans revere this speech.

The thing holding it back is definitely its length, and the difficulty comparing the points made to Ron Paul's talking points after 20 minutes of speech. Putting the key points of the speech together with Ron Paul saying the same thing, with some music, keep it to 8-10 minutes. That would be incredibly powerful.

Averoth, anyone????

Mandrik
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Holy shit, I'm a Reagen Republican. Wow.

Ron Paul Fan
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Actually, I think you mean, "right".

I said the delivery was the issue, not the message itself.

Actually, I meant wrong! Ron Paul has his shortcomings, but the message does not! The message of liberty can be sold to anyone who is willing to think for themselves regardless of the delivery because it has no shortcomings! And I don't think Congressman Paul's delivery is bad. Look at the revolution he's created. Is it him or the message? A lot of it is the message, but he has to be doing something right, right? You want him to be something he's not but I will accept his flaws because despite those flaws, he's preaching the message of liberty which has no flaws.

LibertyEagle
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Actually that was a Goldwater speech from Goldwater speech writers.

klamath
11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Each man, Reagan and Ron Paul have their strong points and weak points. Where Reagan was a better speaker I think Paul has a record of being stronger at sticking with his principals.

I do think spliced interspaced clips of Reagan's and RP's speaches would be a great seller.

OferNave
11-02-2007, 09:27 PM

See - that's the exact reaction I had when watching this video, which is what prompted me to post it.

All my life, when someone said Reagan, all I thought of was massive military spending, tragic war on drugs, associations with the religious right (I'm an aetheist), foreign interventionism, etc.

I never knew I was a '64 Reagan Republican.

-ofer

OferNave
11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Each man, Reagan and Ron Paul have their strong points and weak points. Where Reagan was a better speaker I think Paul has a record of being stronger at sticking with his principals.

I do think spliced interspaced clips of Reagan's and RP's speaches would be a great seller.

Good point. That basically summarizes it all.

Reagan, great speaker, so gets elected, but doesn't stick to principles, so we're still screwed.

Paul, sticks to principles but not as good a speaker, therefore doesn't get elected but still there for us to find after thirty years.

BTW-I a shot-by-shot Reagan/RP talking points comparison video is exactly what I had in mind when I posted this. That's what I would love to see. And no, I have 0 editing skillz. :)

Mandrik
11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
See - that's the exact reaction I had when watching this video, which is what prompted me to post it.

All my life, when someone said Reagan, all I thought of was massive military spending, tragic war on drugs, associations with the religious right (I'm an aetheist), foreign interventionism, etc.

I never knew I was a '64 Reagan Republican.

-ofer

Exactly my sentiment.

Of course, you could go back and watch some small clips of Bush in '99 and say "Holy shit, I'm a Bush Republican." /puke

klamath
11-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Here would be some great quotes RP could make.

"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."
Ronald Reagan

"The defense policy of the United States is based on a simple premise: The United States does not start fights. We will never be an aggressor. We maintain our strength in order to deter and defend against aggression -- to preserve freedom and peace. "

Ronald Reagan

"From Stettin on the Baltic to Varna on the Black Sea, the regimes planted by totalitarianism have had more than thirty years to establish their legitimacy. But none--not one regime--has yet been able to risk free elections. Regimes planted by bayonets do not take root....If history teaches anything, it teaches self-delusion in the face of unpleasant facts is folly....Our military strength is a prerequisite to peace, but let it be clear we maintain this strength in the hope it will never be used, for the ultimate determinant in the struggle that's now going on in the world will not be bombs and rockets but a test of wills and ideas, a trial of spiritual resolve, the values we hold, the beliefs we cherish, the ideals to which we are dedicated."

Ronald Reagan

moonbat
11-02-2007, 10:06 PM

And on and on.

That is a fantastic idea! I sure hope someone picks up on this.

klamath
11-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Actually that was a Goldwater speech from Goldwater speech writers.

I can't find any info of who wrote that speech. Do you have a source?

electrick
11-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Reagan spoke about his "revolution" to limit the size and scope of government during his farewell address.

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92OX2-BSOrU
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Z-nN1YB5A

Primbs
11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Reagan got elected for opposing big government and fighting the cold war against the Soviets. The religious right was just picking up steam in the late seventies.

There are old Reagan diehards supporting Ron Paul. Ron Paul endorsed Reagan.

We need to do a Reagan Slim Jim. Some good books to get are "The Quotable Ronald Reagan" from the late seventies and the book that contains Reagan radio speeches from the late seventies.

Reagan did try to cut government but the Democrat congress shot him down immediately. Reagan would take the federal budget to the state of the union speech and slam it down on National TV and said this is not acceptable. When was the last time we saw that?

Of course now the federal budget and deficit is much worse.

BLS
11-02-2007, 11:36 PM
This video is great, all the way up till the last 5 minutes where Reagan says "We will not appease anyone, etc".

Which is where EVERY NeoCon says "look, even back in 64 Reagan said we can't just run away from tyrants. Therefore we must fight terrorism."

That's the reason I've never used any of this footage for a RP video.

Think about it....it would actually be used against us. (or could be)

Gimme Some Truth
11-02-2007, 11:44 PM
TIn my generation many people thought that it was only a matter of time before the Soviet's and the US blew each other off the face of this earth.

Indeed. My mum told me of how 1 time back then she awoke in the middle of the night and a brilliant bright red light was shining thro her window. She thought to herself "the nuking has begun" and went back to sleep thinking it was the end. She thought "oh well theres not much i can do to stop it, i may aswell go back to sleep"
Turned out it was a comet.

adpierce
11-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Fantastic, absolutely amazing video. No wonder the two men were friends.

nbhadja
11-03-2007, 12:52 AM
People need to spread this video like wildfire!!

xerxesdarius
11-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Bump for the morning people. Someone with video skill really needs to do a mashup of this with Ron Paul.

BenIsForRon
11-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Someone with video skill really needs to do a mashup of this with Ron Paul.

seconded.

Bryan
11-03-2007, 02:11 AM
If you go to "Discussion Points For Winning Ron Paul Support" you'll see one sticky thread titled "The Holy Grail of Converting Pro-War Republicans to Ron Paul" - it has the speech in it. However, it only had the youtube version which didn't have video so I added this google video link.

:)

Thanks for bring this up.

Nash
11-03-2007, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRA3XFfDr4

literatim
11-03-2007, 02:56 AM
We could make an excellent TV ad with Ronald Reagan speech footage.

Craig_R
11-03-2007, 03:01 AM
somebody tried to link it to RP, its been around awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74JF0Xf6hPY

deedles
11-03-2007, 07:12 AM

And on and on.

THAT is a great idea!

BLS
11-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Bump for the morning people. Someone with video skill really needs to do a mashup of this with Ron Paul.

I'm on it.

LibertyEagle
11-03-2007, 07:29 AM
If someone could manage to get their hands on high resolution video of Reagan giving that speech, that would be wonderful.

klamath
11-03-2007, 09:07 AM
This video is great, all the way up till the last 5 minutes where Reagan says "We will not appease anyone, etc".

Which is where EVERY NeoCon says "look, even back in 64 Reagan said we can't just run away from tyrants. Therefore we must fight terrorism."

That's the reason I've never used any of this footage for a RP video.

Think about it....it would actually be used against us. (or could be)

No I don't think it could be. This is a difference between then and now 40,000 nuclear weapons, 70,000 tanks, 500 ship navy, 20,000 combat aircraft, an advanced space and sattelite program and a 4,000,000 man army, controled by a centralized government that had a stated goal of taking over the world and a track record to prove it versus a country of 70 million that has none of the above and small pockets of radical extremists around the world.
On top of the Soviets there was China, a country of 1 billion that shared the same ideology of the Soviets that had a 4 million man army and many nuclear weapons.
The neocons try and equate the two as the same threat which is totally bogus.

LibertyEagle
11-03-2007, 09:11 AM
The point can be made that our current path is enabling the Chinese to build back up their military might, not to mention the fact that we have handed them the power to completely topple our economy.

klamath
11-03-2007, 09:24 AM
The point can be made that our current path is enabling the Chinese to build back up their military might, not to mention the fact that we have handed them the power to completely topple our economy.

So right.

runderwo
11-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, Reagan's actual policy went against this grain, which is in large part what set up us the bomb 10 and 20 years later.

rp08rp
11-03-2007, 09:55 AM
wow

RP08
11-03-2007, 02:13 PM
If only Ron Paul could speak like early Reagan. There would be no doubt in the media who would be our next President. I love this clip.

traviskicks
11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
That is one of my favorite videos of all time.

Apauled
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Did not read all of the posts, but is someone going to edit and send it to the campaign or have them link it to the main site where Ron has a pic with him and Reagan. Oh one more important point:

They are both named Ron, So you advertise "What does Ron Paul and Ronald Reagan have in common besides their names". Go to RP2008 and find out you will be amazed to find out who the True Reagan Conservative is!

RP Freedom or Die

LBT
11-04-2007, 03:35 AM
I've converted and edited the original video so video editors can easily use it.

Thread about that here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=345775#post345775

Here's the youtube of the edited bits for your interest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STLR6tFP4S4