PDA

View Full Version : Peter Theil funding creation of libertarian islands

JamesButabi
08-16-2011, 08:54 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html?ugccmtnav=v1%2Fcomments%2Fcontext%2 Fb27bc9c2-e2b8-3afd-9b03-c3c73f68348b%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3Dhi ghestRated

Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine.

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of lat-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

"There are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible," Thiel said at a Seasteading Institute Conference in 2009, according to Details. (His first donation was in 2008, for $500,000.) "That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late."

The Seasteading Institute's Patri Friedman says the group plans to launch an office park off the San Francisco coast next year, with the first full-time settlements following seven years later.

Thiel made news earlier this year for putting a portion of his $1.5 billion fortune into an initiative to encourage entrepreneurs to skip college.

Another Silicon Valley titan, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, announced in June that he would be funding the "Clock of the Long Now." The clock is designed to keep ticking for 10,000 years, and will be built in a mountain in west Texas.

TheNcredibleEgg
08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Comments there are NOT promising.

People cannot seem to understand that not having gov't building codes does not mean shoddy buildings. They cannot seem to grasp that owners of building would demand safe structures regardless. I know I would.

Dreamofunity
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Peter Thiel is a bro.

Sola_Fide
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Cool.

newbitech
08-16-2011, 02:53 PM
ya sweet, I was just reading this from drudge link. Pretty strong facebook following.

V4Vendetta
08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
wow - fascinating - however - the only problem I see - is that its #1 in the ocean and #2 off the coast of California.
What happens when a 9.0 hits California? or a huge tidal wave from Asia comes? or a comet hits the pacific ocean???????? it would be whipped out.

VBRonPaulFan
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
wow - fascinating - however - the only problem I see - is that its #1 in the ocean and #2 off the coast of California.
What happens when a 9.0 hits California? or a huge tidal wave from Asia comes? or a comet hits the pacific ocean???????? it would be whipped out.

tidal waves are generally only inches high or less far away from the coastline. it isn't until the seabed starts to rise and the waters get shallower when the wave is forced upwards.

hard@work
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Libertarian snorkels for sale, $80 for a whole set. Get them while they're hot.

sync
08-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

Not sure how successful they could be without natural resources. Maybe fishing, and might could generate tourism. Love the idea, but I'm a little skeptical.

Agorism
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Count me as skeptical as well...

Whatever they want to do though.

dannno
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Want to make some real money? Build epic artificial surf spots on all sides of the island and open a surf resort.

dannno
08-16-2011, 04:31 PM
//merged

stuntman stoll
08-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Not sure how successful they could be without natural resources. Maybe fishing, and might could generate tourism. Love the idea, but I'm a little skeptical.
Natural resources aren't necessary. There only needs to be comparative advantage. Something has to be done better there than anywhere else (when starting with a clean slate) to bring in wealth. Some areas that I could see being the basis of a libertarian sea island economy would be: destination medical treatment (you can use any drug or treatment you and your doc deem necessary), manufacturing high tech small weapons, developing new new drugs and medical treatments, banking, information technology, corporate headquarters...

Diurdi
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Somehow some sort of doomsday movie comes into mind as a potential result of this.

Rather buy some small island from the soon bankrupt greece or something.

GreenLP
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters

The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place.
Shouldn't they be calling them floating anarchy countries?

Not saying that in a derogatory way. I like the idea, but libertarianism isn't free from laws. Anarchy is. They should call it what it is.

MikeStanart
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
http://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/waterworld.jpg

brandon
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm skeptical as well. Limited resources and a potential US border clusterfuck don't bode well for this project. Their best chance to succeed would be providing all the things that are illegal in the US. Drugs, gambling, prostitution, underage sex, etc. It wouldn't be long until the US government placed a trade embargo against them.

Would love to see it work out though.

TheDrakeMan
08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't they be calling them floating anarchy countries?

Not saying that in a derogatory way. I like the idea, but libertarianism isn't free from laws. Anarchy is. They should call it what it is.

Anarcho-Capitalism isn't free from Laws. In the AnCap philosophy there would still be police, courts, and laws based upon the NAP or something similar to it.

You would actually be safer in the Ocean with a Seasteading set-up specialized in dealing with giant waves. They had a whole section about this on their website, I'll check it out later and see if I can find it.

dannno
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Their best chance to succeed would be providing all the things that are illegal in the US. Drugs, gambling, prostitution, underage sex, etc.

If by underage you mean mid to late teens who consent to go work there, then ya.. if you're talkin about way younger then I'd say that's not really a libertarian island.

Jingles
08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
My questions more or less lie in the realm of how do they obtain food and such? How much artificial farmland could you put on these things? What about animals? How do you obtain food otherwise? What could be produced here? I understand it probably wouldn't be isolated from trading with the world (especially if it follows our principles), but what would we have to trade in return?

gls
08-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I think this has great potential. They seem to be going at it in a very smart, incremental way.