PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul campaign: ‘Virtually zero chance’ of third-party bid

kahless
08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/ron-paul-campaign-virtually-zero-chance-of-third-party-bid/2011/08/15/gIQAZvC2IJ_blog.html

..it’s become increasingly clear that Paul would cause severe problems for the GOP as a third-party candidate.....

Benton noted, though, that the practicalities of running a third-party campaign make it very difficult to seek the GOP nomination first. Some states, for example, require that a candidate filing for a primary under one party’s banner sign a pledge promising to not run with another party in the general election.

If Ron loses the primary I suspect with people writing him in and voting third party in the general, the effect on the party will be more severe than 08.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Ron Paul or bust
Ron Paul or bust
Ron Paul or bust
Ron Paul or bust
Ron Paul or bust

ItsTime
08-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Because he is going to win the GOP nomination.... PERIOD.

DamianTV
08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
It depends if you are "allowed" to even write in your Candidate any more. Electronic Voting seems to not allow for that.

kahless
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
The party has clearly not learned its lesson in 08 and seems to be willing to allow another 4 years of Obama if they do not get their act together now and recognize Ron's standing in this campaign and the straw polls.

swiftfoxmark2
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
It depends if you are "allowed" to even write in your Candidate any more. Electronic Voting seems to not allow for that.

It does. I've written in candidates using an electronic voting machine.

If Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination, I will write my own name in. I suggest that everyone else right their own name in as well since it will state that we know how to run our lives and that we want to run our lives the way we see fit.

YumYum
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
If he loses the primary and doesn't run as an independent, I see the Liberty movement going into a tailspin, especially since Rand signed that letter regarding sanctions against Iran. Unfortunately, we as a group, will fragment into pieces if we don't find a common bond that we don't fight over and stay united.

ifthenwouldi
There are two words that explain why Ron won't run third party:

Rand
Paul

He won't jeopardize his son's standing with the "Party" in 2016 to screw them over in 2012.

kahless
It does. I've written in candidates using an electronic voting machine.

If Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination, I will write my own name in. I suggest that everyone else right their own name in as well since it will state that we know how to run our lives and that we want to run our lives the way we see fit.

^What a great idea. This should be the contingency for this movement if Ron does not win the nomination. Getting people to do this on a mass scale to send that exact message.

Aratus
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
^^^^^^^^methinks there are several reasons against a 3rd party bid like TR in bullmoose mode ^^^^^^^

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
In any case, a GOP nominee other than Ron Paul will not get my vote. I will vote for the Libertarian, as usual.

muh_roads
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Maybe he should threaten instead. "Neocon voters, demand I get fair coverage or I will gaurantee an Obama victory by running 3rd party." lol

The ball really is in his court...

Agorism
08-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Third Party bids only work if you have a boatload of money like Ross Perot.

If you're prepared to spend a billion dollars you might have an effect.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Third Party bids only work if you have a boatload of money like Ross Perot.

If you're prepared to spend a billion dollars you might have an effect.That's only if you're trying to win. If you just want to punish the GOP it's much easier, especially when you're working with the Democrats to do it.

Cleaner44
08-16-2011, 06:15 PM
If the GOP thinks McCain losing to Obama by 10 million votes was bad, just wait until this election if they refuse to nominate Ron Paul.

I will not ever vote for Rombacherry!

speciallyblend
08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
if the gop does not nominate Ron paul, i can only hope eventually the gop becomes a 3rd party!!

PaulConventionWV
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
So can we finally stop all of the "Will Ron Paul run 3rd party?????" crap now? Thank you.

YumYum
08-16-2011, 08:08 PM
If there ever was a third party, it should be called "The Third Party".

libertybrewcity
08-16-2011, 09:00 PM
here comes the third party trolls...

pcosmar
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Third party?

Shit,, I want a second party.
A real choice. There is not a lick of difference between Perry/Romney and Obama.
There is no choice there, You can vote for the same shit, or more of the same shit.

I want a second choice.
Ron Paul