PDA

View Full Version : Rate Ron Paul's New Commercial

Esoteric
08-16-2011, 04:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChzOaIeyxY

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
I love how they draw people in like it's a movie trailer, then "RON PAUL, HUZZAT?"

I wonder if they're using some money from 2008? Surely they had to have a good chunk left.

Thomas
08-16-2011, 05:21 AM
good visuals and msg, "the one" is obama tho (and neo :D), i think it lacks an emotional personal connection, his ads have been very dark too and idk if the movie trailer thing seems cheap and gimmicky or not

LibertyEagle
08-16-2011, 05:27 AM
I wonder if they're using some money from 2008? Surely they had to have a good chunk left.

I don't think so. How do you think YAL and C4L got started? What do you think paid for the Rally for the Republic?

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-16-2011, 05:29 AM
I don't think so. How do you think YAL and C4L got started? What do you think paid for the Rally for the Republic?

Wishful thinking? :(

Esoteric
08-16-2011, 05:30 AM
I think it actually does a GREAT job making an emotional connection.. My major qualm is that it doesn't go at Romney, Perry, and Bachmann harder. It flashes Bachmann's face for .2 seconds. I gave it an 8. VERY effective.

Also, whenever inclined to nit-pick, please watch this to put things in perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

Imaginos
08-16-2011, 05:32 AM
10!

rutgerscamdenYAL
08-16-2011, 05:41 AM
We need an ad that starts going after Bachmann and Perry and not have it look like a movie trailer next time. Right before New Hampshire IMO

speciallyblend
08-16-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Csa25tMw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Csa25tMw4

hazek
08-16-2011, 05:58 AM
I gave it a 10 because I really liked how he was contrasted to the status quo and how it mentioned his record.

furface
08-16-2011, 06:00 AM
I personally liked it. It has emotional impact with me. However, it seems a bit like it's preaching to the choir.

I agree that he's going to have to go negative. It's hard to do in 30 seconds or whatever, I guess, explain why voting Perry or Bachmann is like voting for Obama.

specsaregood
08-16-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm giving it an 8, I really liked it but I liked the first one better (9) and there is always room for improvement (10).

Akus
08-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Is this actually being played on television?

specsaregood
08-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Is this actually being played on television?

starting today in nh and ia.

Bruno
08-16-2011, 06:15 AM
I rated it a 9 because the best is yet to come! :)

And + rep to Esoteric for posting it.

I am way excited following yesterday's vindication for the media blackout after the straw poll, and now this new ad!

Bruno
08-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Make sure to share and post on facebook!

TroySmith
08-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I gave it a ten.
It emphasized the "smooth talker" concept while comparing Perry/Romney to Obama which is great.
It hammered home the idea about spending and the economy.
It also mentioned he can BEAT obama, giving him the "winner" mentality.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Would have gotten 10 if it were a :30 second.

jmdrake
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I think it actually does a GREAT job making an emotional connection.. My major qualm is that it doesn't go at Romney, Perry, and Bachmann harder. It flashes Bachmann's face for .2 seconds. I gave it an 8. VERY effective.

I gave it a 10. The take away from this video isn't that the others are so bad but that Ron is that good. The .2 second flash of Michael Bachmann acts at an almost subliminal level pitting her next to Nancy Pelosi. And negative branding of other candidates should come later after Paul has fully established himself and any negative adds should not mention Paul at all until the end where he gives the required disclosure.

I also love how the ad only shows Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Bachmann, Perry and Romney. All of the other candidates like Cain and Santorum are second tier and can be ignored in this type of commercial. Treat them dismissively so the public will also.

Also, whenever inclined to nit-pick, please watch this to put things in perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

LOLZ. Yeah, after a commercial that bad the only way we could go was up.

Agorism
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I said 8.

Overall it's not as good as the last commercial. However, I like that this one calls Bachmann out on debt ceiling (although indirectly.)

Agorism
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
BTW- Rand's 5 year budget hurt him as did his signing on against Iran.

He can no longer say that he is a pure like his father if he's really supporting those things.

Get the F$%^ back in line Rand (as Boehner would say)

1000-points-of-fright
08-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of the messianic thing. The one who will bring peace... seriously? Isn't that a bit too much like Obama stopping the rise of the oceans?

IndianaPolitico
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Agorism;3476266]BTW- Rand's 5 year budget hurt him.[QUOTE]

You didn't like his budget plan?!?!?

orenbus
08-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I gave it an 8, presentation was really good however was missing some emotional impact, 9s and 10s although very rare are possible.

Agorism
08-16-2011, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=Agorism;3476266]BTW- Rand's 5 year budget hurt him.[QUOTE]

You didn't like his budget plan?!?!?
Hell no. I support the debt ceiling right now not in five years.

sailingaway
08-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I gave it an 8 to reflect that it was fast turn around, but I think they should have put in scrolling poll numbers head to head w/ Obama, and the two recent national polls showing him in 3rd place. I think people have no clue those polls exist. It needed to get out more than it needed to be perfect, though.

However, I read somewhere it was a 'video ad being played in NH and Iowa'. How does 'video ad' differ from ad? Is it on TV?

IterTemporis
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I give it a 10.

Kludge
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of the messianic thing. The one who will bring peace... seriously? Isn't that a bit too much like Obama stopping the rise of the oceans?
Heh. I was thinking that, too. Ad didn't have one solid point but as many it seems they could stuff in 1m while trying to seem coherent. Generally, political ads for candidates try to nail home one main point which will stick with voters. However, unlike typical politicians, The One will beat Obama... and bring peace, and vote against taxes, and restore liberty, and work against "The Washington Machine," and "save the dollar" (wait.... wut?), and create jobs, and on and on.... Idunno if that's good or bad, but I thought the ad would probably get my attention, so I gave it an 8.

Jackie Treehorn
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Awesome! Only con is I didn't see Bachmann...it's alright though, she'll self-destruct on her own.

Edit: Just saw Bachmann next to Pelosi.

FreedomRings
08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
I like it.

To further maximize the contrast between the two parts, they should have used only positive words in the second part, i.e.

"voting against every tax increase" -> voting for lower taxes / voting for lowering taxes

"voting against every unbalanced budget" -> voting for a balanced budget / voting for balancing the budget

"the one who will stop the spending" -> the one who will balance the budget

sailingaway
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM

I didn't like quite the push on the 'One' either for the same reason, but they were trying to get out something that resonated, quickly. You do have to be careful not to be dismissed as having gone too far, though

LibertyEagle
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
He IS the only candidate who has the will and economic knowledge to turnaround the economy.

He IS the only candidate who will pull our troops out of the endless unconstitutional wars that have 0 to do with our national defense.

He IS the only candidate who has shown by action, not by rhetoric, that he will move our government back to the Constitution.

I've been in this a very long time. Way before Ron Paul ran for president. Name on your hand, it will only take one, the number of people in our government in your lifetime, who have had the knowledge and the principles of Ron Paul.

He IS the one.

LopTarDaBoo
08-16-2011, 02:32 PM
This ad just didn't do it for me. I'd rather see Ron hammering his opponents on the issues because he's just so obviously in the right this year. Pick one (TARP, Iraq, TSA, inflation, Romneycare, whatever) and hammer his opponents on it. They all have terrible records and about half of them could run sibling campaigns on the Democratic ticket!

All that said, I'm not the kind of voter who is affected by dopey television ads, so don't listen to me.

RM918
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I liked the other one better. This one felt like it didn't have enough substance.

DeadheadForPaul
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
BTW- Rand's 5 year budget hurt him as did his signing on against Iran.

He can no longer say that he is a pure like his father if he's really supporting those things.

Get the F$%^ back in line Rand (as Boehner would say)

This guy couldn't buy a clue even if all his savings were in gold

Matthew Zak
08-16-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm giving it an 8, I really liked it but I liked the first one better (9) and there is always room for improvement (10).

Wait a second... what is this fuzzy math you're using? How do you know 10 is better than 9? Just kidding. :P

Aratus
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
its a 9

Austin
08-16-2011, 04:31 PM

I don't think the "The One" theme is conducive to getting GOP votes. That said, the production was great and the message that Ron voted against every tax increase and debt ceiling was very nice.

specsaregood
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Wait a second... what is this fuzzy math you're using? How do you know 10 is better than 9? Just kidding. :P

Well technically, since I put it in parenthesis (). That would make it a negative number.....

Number19
08-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't think so. How do you think YAL and C4L got started? What do you think paid for the Rally for the Republic?I wish I could give a link, but this past week prior to Iowa, I read that much of the funding being spent on campaigning, in addition to the $1/2M brought in from the money bomb, was from funds left over from the '08 campaign. They mentioned how much was left over from that year - several million - I want to say $7M, but I'm uncertain I'm remembering correctly - and they failed to say whether this was from the presidential campaign or his house campaign, but this is what was in his campaign chest coming into this year's contests. It was at least several million.

tangent4ronpaul
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
AWESOME!

-t

georgiaboy
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Best part -- it came out so FAST in response to the media blackout!! Perfect, Perfect Timing! Really speaks to the forward thinking, vision, organization, and proactivity of the campaign.

FreeTraveler
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I liked "The One." That was Obama's claim, and he's proven himself beyond doubt to be anything but that. I think it's a hilarious poke in Obama's eye. Kudos.

Plus, the ad gave me goosebumps with some of the shots of the good doctor.

PaulConventionWV
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM

No, people eat that shit up. Remember "hope and change"?

notsure
08-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I gave it a 7 because I don't think it went far enough on the issues or how Paul contrasts with the other establishment candidates. But it could still be too early for that maybe, we wouldn't want the other candidates trying to bite any of our platform only to pay lip service to it in order to get votes. Good production, good idea, and getting on the right path; just seems to fall a little short on substance. Needs more of Paul's position on the popular issues, needs more Paul. Everything that Paul should be given the opportunity to explain in the debates should be conveyed through the ads. I know it could be a difficult task with the time constraints. Maybe anything or any issue that is too detailed to express through the ads, like the reasons and history behind important topics, viewers could see and hear the gist of it on tv or radio and be directed to the campaign website for more details and to learn more. I like to hear Ron Paul speak.
Less "beating Obama", more restoring the principles of Liberty.
That's just my opinion. I give the ad a strong 7. The concept and quality of production is petty pro. On the verge of being an 8, or 9, or 10. Maybe if I keep in mind that it's still just a primary voters' ad I can give it an 8.9.