PDA

View Full Version : Billionaire Peter Thiel and Revolution PAC?

mport1
08-16-2011, 01:13 AM
How can we get billionaire libertarian Peter Thiel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel) to financially back Revolution PAC?

When asked about his political beliefs in a 2006 United Press International interview, Thiel stated, "Well, I was pretty libertarian when I started [in business]. I'm way libertarian now."In December 2007, he endorsed Ron Paul for President. - Wikipedia

They guy has put big money behind libertarian causes including at least $500,000 to launch The Seasteading Institute (http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/news/2008/05/seasteading?currentPage=all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-w_8APHP6I

UPDATE: PayPal founder Peter Thiel gives $900K to Ron Paul PAC (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72256.html) :) I hope this is just the beginning.

Esoteric
08-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Get people who can be trusted to run it.. not serve as advisors.. RUN it. Ron has to hand pick who he wants to run it, as Romney and Perry have done.

gerryb
08-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Get people who can be trusted to run it.. not serve as advisors.. RUN it. Ron has to hand pick who he wants to run it, as Romney and Perry have done.

#1; he can't chose the folks, it isn't his organization.

#2, I wouldn't want him to. He hand picked the folks to run C4L, and his campaigns, they have been a disaster. YAL was organically grown, they have been amazing. Hopefully the Revolution PAC can be operated in the same way YAL has been.

eleganz
08-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Well if he did it in 07...

All the campaign needs to do is call him...

LibertyEagle
08-16-2011, 02:51 AM

#2, I wouldn't want him to. He hand picked the folks to run C4L, and his campaigns, they have been a disaster. YAL was organically grown, they have been amazing. Hopefully the Revolution PAC can be operated in the same way YAL has been.

Actually, the campaign has done a tremendous job this time around, now that Paul had decided he wants to win. Your cheap shot is full of FAIL!

Tarzan
08-16-2011, 05:03 AM
How can we get billionaire libertarian Peter Thiel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel) to financially back Revolution PAC?

How... I have no idea. But, instead of having someone like this simply donate money... he is exactly the type of guy we need running a Super PAC. Someone with the contacts to get really big donations and is used to handling that amount of money.

Rather than have him donate money to RPAC... I think the best result would be to have him setup a new Super PAC... call his buddies for contributions... and hire some people to run the thing. Maybe then we would have a chance to compete against the other Super PACS.

Byrgen
08-16-2011, 05:12 AM
We could write a letter on behalf of the community respectfully asking for his financial support, and have it signed by all of us.

Esoteric
08-16-2011, 05:21 AM
How... I have no idea. But, instead of having someone like this simply donate money... he is exactly the type of guy we need running a Super PAC. Someone with the contacts to get really big donations and is used to handling that amount of money.

Rather than have him donate money to RPAC... I think the best result would be to have him setup a new Super PAC... call his buddies for contributions... and hire some people to run the thing. Maybe then we would have a chance to compete against the other Super PACS.

^^ This.

Thomas
08-16-2011, 05:22 AM
We could write a letter on behalf of the community respectfully asking for his financial support, and have it signed by all of us.

an open letter

No Free Beer
08-16-2011, 06:11 AM
"We could write a letter on behalf of the community respectfully asking for his financial support, and have it signed by all of us. "

I agree. Lets get it started!

mport1
08-16-2011, 06:31 AM

This would be great too. I suspect the guy is really busy, but he could probably head the PAC and appoint somebody good to run day to day operations.

ForLibertyFight
08-16-2011, 06:33 AM
"We could write a letter on behalf of the community respectfully asking for his financial support, and have it signed by all of us. "

I agree. Lets get it started!

Great idea!

Someone create a website where we can sign w/ our name and address.

mport1
08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Great idea!

Someone create a website where we can sign w/ our name and address.

Agreed. I love this idea. Unfortunately I don't know how to make a website and am not a good writer. I'd definitely throw my support behind this and spread this around though.

ForLibertyFight
08-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Agreed. I love this idea. Unfortunately I don't know how to make a website and am not a good writer. I'd definitely throw my support behind this and spread this around though.

I don't know how to create a website either... I'm sure there are web designers on RPFs who will donate their time to this worthy cause. :)

UpstateGenius
08-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Got my signature on this

FA.Hayek
08-16-2011, 08:08 AM
bump

angelatc
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

What if he was invited to sit on the board of the RevPac? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? And I'm more interested in his ability to harness the power of the internet and social networking than I am his friends' money, btw. IMHO Thiel is a genius.

erowe1
08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
What if he was invited to sit on the board of the RevPac? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? And I'm more interested in his ability to harness the power of the internet and social networking than I am his friends' money, btw. IMHO Thiel is a genius.

That is a brilliant idea.

Canderson
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
As a Californian I say we should draft him for a run, Id actually be able to vote without vomiting

Byrgen
08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Alright, so I wrote a letter because I felt like it. I suppose I'll post it here. Feel free to write your own, revise this one, provide crticism etc.

Dear Mr. Thiel:
We the signatories of this letter write to humbly request your financial support for Ron Paul, and the political action committee created to support him known as Revolution PAC. We understand that you endorsed Dr. Paul in the 2008 election, and that you have given financial support to causes supporting Liberty in the past such as the Seasteading Institute. Our respect for you and your accomplishments is great, and we thought that in light of your political beliefs you might have a desire to assist the cause to see Ron Paul elected president of the United States of America. I understand that his chances of being elected don’t look spectacular, and you may view it as a waste of money, but he is polling better now than he ever has, and I think you’ll agree that something special is happening in our country at the moment. The cause of Liberty looks brighter now than it has in a good while, and people are beginning to see its value. Even if Dr. Paul fails to win, he is bringing unprecedented attention to beliefs and values that have for too long gone unspoken of in this country. Increasingly, as much as many Republicans do not want to admit, the political dialogue is becoming centered on Ron Paul and his beliefs. In the midst of the economic crisis our nation is undergoing, the cause of Liberty must be pushed, else another ideology could capture the hearts and minds of the people. For these reasons we beg your support.
In Liberty,
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature
Etc

ds21089
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Alright, so I wrote a letter because I felt like it. I suppose I'll post it here. Feel free to write your own, revise this one, provide crticism etc.

Dear Mr. Thiel:
We the signatories of this letter write to humbly request your financial support for Ron Paul, and the political action committee created to support him known as Revolution PAC. We understand that you endorsed Dr. Paul in the 2008 election, and that you have given financial support to causes supporting Liberty in the past such as the Seasteading Institute. Our respect for you and your accomplishments is great, and we thought that in light of your political beliefs you might have a desire to assist the cause to see Ron Paul elected president of the United States of America. I understand that his chances of being elected don’t look spectacular, and you may view it as a waste of money, but he is polling better now than he ever has, and I think you’ll agree that something special is happening in our country at the moment. The cause of Liberty looks brighter now than it has in a good while, and people are beginning to see its value. Even if Dr. Paul fails to win, he is bringing unprecedented attention to beliefs and values that have for too long gone unspoken of in this country. Increasingly, as much as many Republicans do not want to admit, the political dialogue is becoming centered on Ron Paul and his beliefs. In the midst of the economic crisis our nation is undergoing, the cause of Liberty must be pushed, else another ideology could capture the hearts and minds of the people. For these reasons we beg your support.
In Liberty,
Etc

I'd scratch that. No need for any negativity in the letter. Make it more inspiring like "he's catching on like never before because the country is coming his way. Everything he predicted has come true and he's the only one who can restore America. We have an incredibly strong grassroots effort to help spread the message; however in these tough times, extra money is hard to come across. We humbly ask of you to consider donating to the one man who can fix this country." I'd throw that in there somewhere instead.

erowe1
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd scratch that. No need for any negativity in the letter. Make it more inspiring like "he's catching on like never before because the country is coming his way. Everything he predicted has come true and he's the only one who can restore America. We have an incredibly strong grassroots effort to help spread the message; however in these tough times, extra money is hard to come across. We humbly ask of you to consider donating to the one man who can fix this country." I'd throw that in there somewhere instead.

Agreed. Thiel has donated to him before, so you don't have to convince him it's worth doing.

Instead, say something like, "Ron Paul's chances of shaping the GOP and even getting elected president have never been better."

sailingaway
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Ron pushed YAL, and gave them his lists, actually, because he had faith in the guy who founded it and proved himself, as head of Students for Ron Paul.

As a practical matter people have to have faith in whomever runs it, in order to donate big money to it. Their resume will be important.

sailingaway
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM

And add poll numbers.

mport1
08-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Agreed. I think that is a pretty good template to start with though.

Byrgen
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Agreed. Thiel has donated to him before, so you don't have to convince him it's worth doing.

Instead, say something like, "Ron Paul's chances of shaping the GOP and even getting elected president have never been better."

I like that better as well, thanks for the feedback.

mport1
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands - Link today on Drudge

speciallyblend
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM

totally disagree that cfl is a disaster!!

speciallyblend
08-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands - Link today on Drudge

saw this on yahoo. to much for me to afford!! any rich folks need a grower? foods and stuff.

angelatc
08-16-2011, 04:07 PM
This thread has gone a couple of different ways, but I think we could probably get the letter / petition hosted at RevPac.....

dannno
08-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Dear Mr. Thiel:
We the signatories of this letter write to humbly request your financial support for Ron Paul, and the political action committee created to support him known as Revolution PAC. We understand that you endorsed Dr. Paul in the 2008 election, and that you have given financial support to causes supporting Liberty in the past such as the Seasteading Institute. Our respect for you and your accomplishments is great, and we thought that in light of your political beliefs you might have a desire to assist the cause to see Ron Paul elected president of the United States of America. We understand that the media's general portrayal of his chances to win are not spectacular, but he is polling better now than he ever has. Not to mention he recently almost tied to win the Ames Straw Poll. I think you’ll agree that something special is happening in our country at the moment. The cause of Liberty looks brighter now than it has in a good while, and people are beginning to see its value. Even if Dr. Paul fails to win, he is bringing unprecedented attention to beliefs and values that have for too long gone unspoken of in this country. Increasingly, as much as many Republicans do not want to admit, the political dialogue is becoming centered on Ron Paul and his beliefs. In the midst of the economic crisis our nation is undergoing, the cause of Liberty must be pushed, else another ideology could capture the hearts and minds of the people. For these reasons we beg your support.
In Liberty,
Etc

I made some improvements (in the red section)

Deborah K
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I think you guys are so awesome!

Canderson
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
how can we go about getting someone with connections to run the superpac

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
how can we go about getting someone with connections to run the superpac

we can't.

It is the product of those who own it. You nor I, have any say in the matter.

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
How? Well first they need to clear out nearly the entire board of advisors or leadership currently on the PAC. The point of the PAC is to bring in large donors from people who have maxed out with the campaign. Unless the PAC is run by people embedded in donor networks or large cap business communities, the PAC has no hope. They will continue to play kids games with a billboard or two here and there and a back page ad in some newspaper.

How can we expect anyone to trust millions or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who's accomplishments are running a failed magazine or a low-trafficked liberty website. It might be easy for us to trust them because we've met them or followed them for the past few years, but most of us aren't the ones considering donating millions of dollars. The PAC needs some major restructuring if it wants to play with the big kids or even make even a small dent in the Republican primary.

The liberty movement just isn't big enough yet. We don't have any folks in donor networks, not so far as I can see.

tremendoustie
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I think the board is outstanding. I trust Tom woods' completely, perhaps more than anyone else in the liberty movement.

SkarnkaiLW
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
In addition to Thiel, we might want to try and get Jim Rogers, and maybe Rick Santelli? Not sure about the latter, but would add a LOT of Tea Party cred I think

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
In addition to Thiel, we might want to try and get Jim Rogers, and maybe Rick Santelli? Not sure about the latter, but would add a LOT of Tea Party cred I think

I would bet that 70% + in the tea party have no clue who Rick Santelli is

mport1
08-16-2011, 08:47 PM
It would be great to get some of the other wealthy conservatives/libertarians behind a PAC as well.

Sjmfury
08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
List the Letter as "Declaration of Liberty" similar in that it is presented the same way as the Declaration of Independence.

"You now have a chance in your life to re-write history, to restore America back to its former glory, change the course of history, and lead us to a greater tomorrow. Ron Paul 2012."

Push our Grass roots.

~Sjmfury~

trey4sports
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
List the Letter as "Declaration of Liberty" similar in that it is presented the same way as the Declaration of Independence.

"You now have a chance in your life to re-write history, to restore America back to its former glory, change the course of history, and lead us to a greater tomorrow. Ron Paul 2012."

Push our Grass roots.

~Sjmfury~

Welcome to the board!

SkarnkaiLW
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Another recommendation, remember hearing about him on Mises I think. Yeah he is a Banker but.... read his profile. CEO of BB&T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Allison_IV

And Steve Forbes as well. I suppose, since he is now onboard with Auditing the FED ;)

economics102
08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
FYI, Peter Thiel also maxed out donations to Ron Paul in 2008 -- to both his presidential and congressional campaigns -- and also maxed out to Rand Paul's campaign :)

RonPaul101.com
08-20-2011, 11:11 PM
We should all write him for support, showing that Dr Paul has much more support this year than back in 2007...

LibertyEsq
08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
We should all write him for support, showing that Dr Paul has much more support this year than back in 2007...

Do we have an e-mail or anything? I consider myself a decent writer and I'm a new Paul supporter for 2012, so I'd be willing to write...

parocks
08-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Agree with this.

If we knew who are richest potential donors were, we really should custom tailor whatever superpac we give them to their interests. I don't really know Peter Thiel. What he thinks his money should be spent on. But I would think that if Peter Thiel wanted to spend a lot of money, a team should form around what he wants to do. If making TV commercials was his interest, the TV commercial people would be on a Peter Thiel team. There should be people looking around, trying to fit teams of people with the high dollar donors.

Deborah K
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Dear Mr. Thiel:
In Liberty,
Etc

Bumpity

AuH2O
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Something like this could be an excellent lead generation/list building technique for the Super PAC.

dusman
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
These letters are actually really valuable to a SuperPAC, be it RevPac or any other established. I think we should take this a little further and create an almost cookie-cutter letter. Why just focus on 1 person, when we could essentially do the same thing for dozens or hundreds of other potential donors? That's just my thought, but seeing thousands of "petitioners" signing these might inspire many to take the leap.

If I were a millionaire/billionaire.. I think I'd be quite humbled that such a group made the effort to reach out to lonely ole me.

EDIT: Not to suggest that we shouldn't outright personalize every letter. It would be nice to build a plan around this to target donors.

mport1
11-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I wanted to bump this so we can try to contact him about supporting the Super Voter Bomb (http://www.supervoterbomb.com/). I've found one contact form here (http://www.independent.org/aboutus/emailform.asp?id=456), but there may be some better way to contact him.

Lord Xar
11-21-2011, 12:24 AM
I wanted to bump this so we can try to contact him about supporting the Super Voter Bomb (http://www.supervoterbomb.com/). I've found one contact form here (http://www.independent.org/aboutus/emailform.asp?id=456), but there may be some other way to contact him.

Maybe we can send him some info or link to the "plan" so he can feel comfortable getting on board. I mean, 100k is pocket change to him, but yeah - lets try to get him on board.

Karsten
11-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I think his stated position is that he would donate a lot of money if Ron Paul were to get the nomination. Which, to me, is backwards. The hard part is getting the nomination, and that's where the money needs to be for. After that, everything else will be a piece of cake since we do so well with independents.

mport1
11-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I think his stated position is that he would donate a lot of money if Ron Paul were to get the nomination. Which, to me, is backwards. The hard part is getting the nomination, and that's where the money needs to be for. After that, everything else will be a piece of cake since we do so well with independents.

Hm, well if we can find out the best way to contact him and nicely ask him for his support, maybe he will change his opinion. I've contacted him through here - http://www.independent.org/aboutus/emailform.asp?id=456 There must be a better way to reach him though.

lucent
11-21-2011, 12:35 AM

Is $170k a lot of money to him?

Karsten
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
It's worth a shot! I think it's a shame that RevPac has done so poorly because it has such great potential and the money all goes to advertising (the revpac ad was better than any official campaign ad i've seen), whereas for the official campaign it goes towards a lot of other expenses too.

Karsten
11-21-2011, 12:38 AM
You'll have to go ask him

lucent
11-21-2011, 12:38 AM
You'll have to go ask him

The idea of having as much money as he has is mind boggling. :)

JohnGalt23g
11-21-2011, 12:40 AM

Sounds like a lot of money.

Tod
11-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh, man, this is AWESOME!

mport1
11-21-2011, 12:47 AM

No. He is worth about $1.5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel). That is .01% of his net worth. When Facebook goes public, I think he will be getting a massive boost to his fortune as well.

Sweman
11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Just so you know. His Wikipedia page says he's a Bilderberger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel#Bilderberg_Group

Thiel is listed as a member of the Steering Committee of The Bilderberg Group, a controversial group of influential business and government leaders who meet annually behind closed doors under a media blackout to discuss world issues.

Whatever that means.

Esoteric
11-21-2011, 02:02 AM

Whatever that means.

maybe he's an infiltrator!

speciallyblend
11-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Actually, the campaign has done a tremendous job this time around, now that Paul had decided he wants to win. Your cheap shot is full of FAIL!

CFL is Awesome in Colorado, i would suggest if he has a problem with cfl in his state? Then he might step up to the plate in his state instead of bitching about it! tired of the negative nancy's and debbie downer's, trolls are not as bad as them sometimes!!

Karsten
11-21-2011, 02:36 AM
maybe he's an infiltrator!

It's a little hard to be an infiltrator if you just donate and don't really infiltrate.

Esoteric
11-21-2011, 02:59 AM
It's a little hard to be an infiltrator if you just donate and don't really infiltrate.

I meant infiltrating the bilderberg group ;)

revgen
11-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine.

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

"There are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible," Thiel said at a Seasteading Institute Conference in 2009, according to Details. (His first donation was in 2008, for $500,000.) "That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late."

The Seasteading Institute's Patri Friedman says the group plans to launch an office park off the San Francisco coast next year, with the first full-time settlements following seven years later.

Thiel made news earlier this year for putting a portion of his $1.5 billion fortune into an initiative to encourage entrepreneurs to skip college.

Another tech titan, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, announced in June that he would be funding the "Clock of the Long Now." The clock is designed to keep ticking for 10,000 years, and will be built in a mountain in west Texas.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

Hmm... I guess he's a libertarian, but he's definitely different. He wants to leave America and create man-made islands so that people can live without government interference.

I can see now why he wouldn't give any money until Ron won the nomination. He's apparently not convinced that a true libertarian has any chance to win the election.

mport1
11-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Whatever that means.

It doesn't mean anything.

lx43
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Try contacting his hedge fund.

GeorgiaAvenger
11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Are there any other libertarian millionaires/billionaries?

JamesButabi
11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
If Ron Paul becomes a viable candidate due to early state wins, you can probably expect some big names to start come out with open support. This is typically how it happens. Unfortunately its a battle between the little guys and the special interests until then.

surf
11-21-2011, 02:17 PM
i skimmed the post and didn't see this: do we know he hasn't contributed?

gls
11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
According to this article - http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/06/news/la-pn-super-pac-donors-secret-20111006 - RevPAC "hopes to report a haul of $10 million" by the next filing deadline of Jan. 31 -- which is after the first 5 primaries.

ross11988
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
According to this article - http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/06/news/la-pn-super-pac-donors-secret-20111006 - RevPAC "hopes to report a haul of $10 million" by the next filing deadline of Jan. 31 -- which is after the first 5 primaries.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like they have anything in the bank right now, unless they are not telling us anything. Hence why they are asking for donations for the direct mail program

gls
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like they have anything in the bank right now, unless they are not telling us anything. Hence why they are asking for donations for the direct mail program

Yes, you are probably right, I was thinking the same thing -- but then again why would they put such a big number out there if there was nothing to back it up? There may be some large donors whose participation is contingent on the campaign doing well in the first few contests. That's just speculation of course; no one here should be foolish enough to sit around and wait for a "secret billionaire" to come save the day.

ross11988
11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Yes, you are probably right, I was thinking the same thing -- but then again why would they put such a big number out there if there was nothing to back it up? There may be some large donors whose participation is contingent on the campaign doing well in the first few contests. That's just speculation of course; no one here should be foolish enough to sit around and wait for a "secret billionaire" to come save the day.

Well I think it would be expected with some of the big name supporters out there (John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Berry Manilow, Vince Vaughn, Chuck Norris, Peter Theil, Andy Beal) that they would be willing to donate, but it not seem like the case

lucent
11-21-2011, 04:33 PM

They said specifically why they are asking for donations in the other thread. The high profile donors want something specific, not this.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Perhaps this is some bad news, I read this in New Yorker magazine.

No Death, No Taxes

Profile on Peter Thiel

by George Packer

"Thiel hasn't backed a candidate for 2012. He is spending his time and money building the "machinery of freedom" outside politics, so that technology will win the race."

"There is always the question whether the escape from politics is somehow a selfish thing to do."

Crotale
11-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Can the grassroots actually assist in landing big money donations from rich libertarians or is it best left for RevPac to go it alone?

Lord Xar
11-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I am sure Peter Schiff has some cash.. maybe he can ante up some to RevPac.

mport1
11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Perhaps this is some bad news, I read this in New Yorker magazine.

No Death, No Taxes

Profile on Peter Thiel

by George Packer

"Thiel hasn't backed a candidate for 2012. He is spending his time and money building the "machinery of freedom" outside politics, so that technology will win the race."

"There is always the question whether the escape from politics is somehow a selfish thing to do."

I suspect he is right that technology is a better path to freedom than politics, but he has enough money to fund both.

trey4sports
11-24-2011, 02:10 PM

why wouldn't they use the direct mail program to drive donations? Not only that, but the super voter bomb is more than likely something outside of their main strategy and they want folks to directly fund it rather than taking money allocated for other projects. Besides Perry none of the other candidates/PAC's are blowing their warchest yet. that's not to say that RevPac has a ton of money but the fact that they are not spending huge money right now is not indicative of how much they have in the bank.

Well I think it would be expected with some of the big name supporters out there (John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Berry Manilow, Vince Vaughn, Chuck Norris, Peter Theil, Andy Beal) that they would be willing to donate, but it not seem like the case

Nelson and Manilow do not support Ron for president. Manilow sent out a press report after saying nice things about Ron, the he supports the president. Willie Nelson supports some liberty issues but he supported Kuccinich in '04 and has always leaned to the left. Chuck said one nice thing about Ron, but he has never endorsed him.

ross11988
11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Nelson and Manilow do not support Ron for president. Manilow sent out a press report after saying nice things about Ron, the he supports the president. Willie Nelson supports some liberty issues but he supported Kuccinich in '04 and has always leaned to the left. Chuck said one nice thing about Ron, but he has never endorsed him.

I never said they endorsed them, Im just saying they at the minimum they said nice things about the candidates and should at least send them money

mport1
01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice too see him finally jumping in :)

The Gold Standard
01-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Now we need him to pump about $20 million into foreign policy and electability ads.

Lord Xar
01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I feel if Thiel gave RevolutionPAC 900k, it might go farther.

mport1
01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Now we need him to pump about $20 million into foreign policy and electability ads.

Yep, that is where the money is really needed. Not in places like Florida where as we can see there wasn't much a point.

steph3n
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Yep, that is where the money is really needed. Not in places like Florida where as we can see there wasn't much a point.

Market testing!

RPsupporterAtHeart
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Market testing!

That's exactly right!

Theil is worth well over 3 billion dollars now. Very libertarian, gay, anti-tax and corruption and a long time Ron supporter. Ron finally has the campaign and the following to really make a run of it and Theil probably recognizes with the state of the economy and the government that time may be running out and 3billion could be worth far less in the future.

Now of course I am completely just throwing out my opinion and have nothing to back it up. But he contributed 900k to a state absolutely everyone KNEW was a write-off. It did two things though. As stated above it gave great market testing in one of the worst possible Ron Paul markets. It also gave Ron a small voice in the state he couldn't otherwise afford.

Some people on these forums max out the contributions to Ron knowing full well it may take up every ounce of disposable income they have for MONTHS and then some. Probably averaging between %3 and %15 of their yearly salary. All just to give this man a chance. I don't believe for a second that man like Thiel who has been a Paul backer for years thinks any different.

In fact, he essentially could give a million dollar donations for every single state in the campaign and it would only result in %1.5 of his net worth. Something he would make back in interest alone.

I hope to whatever higher power there may be that this man is planning something even close to this. Everyone always joked about the billionaire backer. Well, he's here and he's contributing. Let's all hope he sees the value in donating just as much in comparison as so many other supporters do.