PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: GOP has a 3-person race and Ron Paul isn't in it

bobbyw24
08-15-2011, 07:27 AM
A frenetic couple of days in Republican politics leveled the GOP presidential playing field to three candidates, according to a USA Today analysis.

That assessment follows the GOP presidential debate Thursday; the Iowa Straw Poll that Rep. Michele Bachmann won Saturday, which former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty took as his cue to pull out of the race; and Texas. Gov. Rick Perry’s formal announcement Saturday in South Carolina that he wants to move from the governor's mansion to the White House.

The action whittled the contestants to Bachmann, Perry, and the oft-mentioned front-runner Mitt Romney, USA Today writer David Jackson opined.

He probably would get an argument from Rep. Ron Paul, the Texas congressman who finished a scant 1 percent behind Bachmann’s 28.6 percent win in the Ames, Iowa, poll Saturday, and others in the crowded field.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/GOP-Bachmann-Perry-Romney/2011/08/14/id/407261

bobbyw24
08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
USA Today link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2011-08-14-gop-race-bachamann-perry-romney_n.htm

To report corrections and clarifications, contact Standards Editor Brent Jones. For publication consideration in the newspaper, send comments to letters@usatoday.com. Include name, phone number, city and state for verification. To view our corrections, go to corrections.usatoday.com.

Suzu
08-15-2011, 09:01 AM
And this is the newspaper that some here have been discussing to use for a full-page ad @ $178k. Does USA Today deserve that kind of money from us?

New York For Paul
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Suzu;3470765]And this is the newspaper that some here have been discussing to use for a full-page ad @ $178k. Does USA Today deserve that kind of money from us?[/QUOTe

Hell no. The campaign could use an extra two hundred thousand and make sure they win the straw poll.

Fredom101
08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Well this is just par for the course. Mainstream media coverage should be looked at as just a bonus, not to be expected. I no longer listen to AM radio, but this morning set my alarm to some AM station and woke up to a discussion about the GOP race. They went on for 10 minutes about all the candidates, except RP! They went on and on about Pawlenty, Romney, and even Palin but not 1 mention of RP. This is just how it is, no need to get upset about it.

New York For Paul
08-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Well this is just par for the course. Mainstream media coverage should be looked at as just a bonus, not to be expected. I no longer listen to AM radio, but this morning set my alarm to some AM station and woke up to a discussion about the GOP race. They went on for 10 minutes about all the candidates, except RP! They went on and on about Pawlenty, Romney, and even Palin but not 1 mention of RP. This is just how it is, no need to get upset about it.

We can get upset if it leads to a constructive outcome. The campaign needs to expand fast or the grassroots need to step up to the plate. A straw poll win was crucial to turning the media narrative around.

VBRonPaulFan
08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
We can get upset if it leads to a constructive outcome. The campaign needs to expand fast or the grassroots need to step up to the plate. A straw poll win was crucial to turning the media narrative around.

you assume that the straw poll wouldn't have been marginalized to no end had ron paul won it... i think if he'd have won it you would've heard commentators speak about how the straw polls don't reflect reality, how ron paul bused in supporters, etc, etc. i think ron paul coming in consistently first or second in several and staying out front in the debates is what is going to have the most impact. he just needs to hold out for the other candidates to self-destruct based on their past.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Man, you are pushing that idea in every single thread I see you post in.

Look, here's the skinny, if RP had won, the MSM would have dismissed the straw poll results as meaningless, that historically they have very little bearing on the ultimate outcome (and they don't) and after a day or two of that and intentionally burying the story, the media would march on to continue it's Perry love.

The MSM is owned by the corporatacracy, which is owned by the government, and RP is death to their whole way of doing business.

Let me make it clear, once and for all:

We, meaning the RP movement and RP himself, will never a get a "fair shake" from the MSM, ever.

Fredom101
08-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Man, you are pushing that idea in every single thread I see you post in.

Look, here's the skinny, if RP had won, the MSM would have dismissed the straw poll results as meaningless, that historically they have very little bearing on the ultimate outcome (and they don't) and after a day or two of that and intentionally burying the story, the media would march on to continue it's Perry love.

The MSM is owned by the corporatacracy, which is owned by the government, and RP is death to their whole way of doing business.

Let me make it clear, once and for all:

We, meaning the RP movement and RP himself, will never a get a "fair shake" from the MSM, ever.

Totally agree, and it's better to accept this than to fight reality. If RP would have won, they would have said Ames was meaningless and yes the story would be buried 2 days later and replaced with the one about Perry entering the race.

Let's just make the MSM irrelevant by continuing to expose them and talk about our libertarian ideas that they are deathly afraid of.

Steve-in-NY
08-15-2011, 10:40 AM
If we can raise that 200k, we can use Google TV Ads to run on the networks. We dont need the MSM to talk about him if we are talking about him to the people during the breaks.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
If we can raise that 200k, we can use Google TV Ads to run on the networks. We dont need the MSM to talk about him if we are talking about him to the people during the breaks.

This ^^^

Bossobass
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Just so I have this one straight... all you have to do to get on the front page of USA Today as a top-tier GOP contender is...announce your candidacy?

What fucking next?

As I've said for 10 years and counting, "TV is Shit". Add newspapers to that.

Bosso

specsaregood
08-15-2011, 10:58 AM
As I've said for 10 years and counting, "TV is Shit". Add newspapers to that.

If TV is "shit" and newspapers are "shit". Then one must wonder who the heads of those shits are. Or in shorter terms, the shitheads.

bobbyw24
08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Good question

Brian4Liberty
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
The MSM is owned by the corporatacracy, and so is which is owned by the government, and RP is death to their whole way of doing business.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Brian4Liberty
08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Just so I have this one straight... all you have to do to get on the front page of USA Today as a top-tier GOP contender is...announce your candidacy?

What fucking next?

Apparently the media picks the front-running candidates first, pushes them in rigged polls, and then waits for them to announce.

Tax the Fed
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
. . . straw poll win was crucial to turning the media narrative around.

It was a virtual tie fer' chris' sake . . . somewhere in the media someone may someday see just how significant a showing this was for Ron Paul's GOP bid.

parocks
08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Suzu;3470765]And this is the newspaper that some here have been discussing to use for a full-page ad @ $178k. Does USA Today deserve that kind of money from us?[/QUOTe

Hell no. The campaign could use an extra two hundred thousand and make sure they win the straw poll.

Right on. The official campaign does the positive ads anyway, right?

angelatc
08-15-2011, 02:21 PM

If the rabbit hole is any deeper, they won't accept the ads. I've never been a fan of third party runs, but now I'm suddenly all for it if it means splitting the vote. Hell, I'll vote for Obama if this the way they're going to play the game. I don't like losing, but losing fair and square is what it is. But this deck is stacked.

There are ways to fuck the party right back. In Illinois, ....well, PM me if you live in Illinois. I don't want my best idea on the internets.

The Michigan GOP wanted a primary instead of a caucus - I think we should actively and aggressively solicit Democrats to cross over and vote for Ron Paul in the Republican Primary. They don't really have to pick a candidate, because Obama is already their guy. (If he gets a primary opponent, that could change things.)

Steve-in-NY
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Sorry man, Im in NY. I may look into this a bit further, if NOTHING ELSE, a youtube 30 sec spot contest could not hurt AT ALL.

ravedown
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
nice- two good articles about the media blackout...'bout time
http://www.drudgereport.com/

Napoleon's Shadow
08-17-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9nOIusbDwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eY-WAtkEg

Agorism
08-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I have to agree that the straw poll was a huge narrow miss. Sorry I think that's just the way it is.