PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul early VP announcement = Path to victory?

TRIGRHAPPY
08-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I happen to think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Ron to announce his VP pick immediately. Naming Rand right now would definitely take the wind out of the sails (and voters) from Bachman, Perry, and Cain. It would also discourage Sarah Palin from entering the race, also increasing the likelihood of her endorsement. After all, if Rand was going to be Ron's VEEP, Palin would lose A LOT of credibility if she endorsed anyone but Paul/Paul. Palin may be "seen" as a leader of the tea party, but Rand Paul is the icon of Tea Party power (and ability to win elections).

Furthermore, with Bachman's tea party support drained away, she'd be left with very little support (evangelicals, mainly). She would have to drop out, meaning it would be primarily Romney vs Paul....since Perry also relies heavily on the Tea Party support that would be drained away to Paul. Bachman would be left to choose who to endorse, Paul or Romney....which would mean she endorses Paul. There's no way she would endorse Romney (since he has zero tea-party support and a history of being pro-choice).

So, with the Palin/Bachman/Perry supporters now firmly in the Paul/Anti-Romney camp, the battle would be pitted overtly in the media as Tea-Party vs. Establishment, and that's a battle that Romney could not win.

Looking at it from the establishment (Romney/Perry) point of view, Ron Paul naming Rand his VP right now would absolutely be my worst case scenario.

Thoughts?

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Not Rand. I would prefer for him to stay in the Senate and then run with DeMint in 2016. Ron will probably a 1 term president because he is pretty old. And if he doesn't win Obama will be gone by then.

If Ron does announce an early VP or at a normal time....I want it to be Luis Fortuno.

But I could see an early VP announcement being a bust and then he loses a valuable tool to boost support later on.

robertwerden
08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
The way it works, is everyone has their own idea of who the VP will be, and that prevents them from not voting for a candidate because they don't like the VP choice. McCain lost votes when he chose Palin.

Diashi
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Andrew Napolitano would make a stellar VP. What if Ron didn't make it through his term? We'd have another rock-solid Constutional president take his place.

TRIGRHAPPY
08-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Andrew Napolitano would make a stellar VP. What if Ron didn't make it through his term? We'd have another rock-solid Constutional president take his place.

I like Nap, but I don't see anyone but Rand taking votes from Palin/Perry/Bachman, and then forcing them to endorse Paul against Romney.

The way I see it, winning the Republican nomination means winning the general election, and failure to do so equally means failure. That being the case, we need to do everything we can possibly do to defeat (and get the endorsements of) Palin/Perry/Bachman. Announcing Rand as VP would do just that. Someone with zero name recognition, or zero tea-party identification would be a waste of a very potent political move.

Crickett
08-14-2011, 08:50 PM

My aunt was just like Ron, physically, (well, exercise and all) and lived sharp until age 97. Ron will make it through 2 terms and the People will love him so much the second term I doubt a Democrat will even bother..:)

RileyE104
08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I thought that it's illegal for a Democrat/Republican to announce a running mate until they've won the nomination??

TRIGRHAPPY
08-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I thought that it's illegal for a Democrat/Republican to announce a running mate until they've won the nomination??

I would think that the 1st amendment has it covered.

scrosnoe
08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
The way it works, is everyone has their own idea of who the VP will be, and that prevents them from not voting for a candidate because they don't like the VP choice. McCain lost votes when he chose Palin.

Are you kidding? Palin was the best thing that happened to McCain IMO~

My how differently we can see the world and still love Ron Paul...

Karsten
08-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Are you kidding? Palin was the best thing that happened to McCain IMO~

My how differently we can see the world and still love Ron Paul...

You're right. It wasn't Palin that brought Mccain down, it was the economy. After the Palin announcement in early september, 2008, Mccain suddenly was ahead of Obama by 10 points. After the crash later that month, Mccain bombed, and continued that trend until the election. It was for stupid comments like "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" that sunk him.

I actually remember posts on THIS FORUM suggesting Palin as RP's VP running mate back in 2007, way before everyone knew who she was.

trey4sports
08-14-2011, 09:38 PM

lol, i can promise it's not illegal. There may be restrictions imposed by the GOP as to when someone can announce a VP though.

Razmear
08-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Paul/Paul would be a tough sell. Paul / DeMint would be a winning ticket for 2012.

RileyE104
08-14-2011, 09:49 PM
lol, i can promise it's not illegal. There may be restrictions imposed by the GOP as to when someone can announce a VP though.

Perhaps I'm just confusing it with the law that says candidates can't announce cabinet members?

Zarn Solen
08-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Fortuno and Daniels would be my top picks.

Lee and DeMint are also really good picks.

If you think the VP's role is simply to pick up key states: Ayotte (NH), Johnson or Martinez (NM), and Christie (NJ) would help Paul, given they get on board with Paul's message. I wouldn't know which direction to go, when it comes to PA, CO, or WI. If Paul picks a VP for state purposes, it should be aggressive rather than defensive.

Shane Harris
08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
paul might have a hard time finding someone willing to be seen as his running mate. demint is too hawkish for ron isnt he? i like rand or fortuno, either way its some type of media-grabbing gimmick. father-son dynamic or latino dynamic

Johncjackson
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
This doesn't and will not happen. The suggestion is made several times per day.

plus almost all the popular VP picks that get mentioned add almost nothing to the ticket.

libertybrewcity
08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
i think that's illegal..

squarepusher
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I've never heard of half the candidates you are suggesting here. Napolitano would be a super win pick, imo

libertybrewcity
08-14-2011, 11:12 PM
As much as you all want libertarian favorites, I think a VP can without a doubt make or break a campaign. The pick needs to be strategic and if it has to be a neocon, I'd say do it. The VP doesn't do anything anyways. The pick also needs to be geographically strategic too. That would mean someone from the Northeast to balance the ticket. Even though many don't like him here, I think Chris Christie would be a perfect pick. He has the right location. Everyone in the tea party AND establishment generally likes him.

Restore-America-NOW
08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I've discussed this with several people, all of whom reacted saying it would feel too much like a monarchy if Ron picked Rand as his Vice President. To be totally honest, the perfect running mate doesn't exist so we will have to settle for someone as popular, young and reliable as possible. The top contenders would be Luis Fortuņo, Nikki Haley, Andrew Napolitano and Jim DeMint. All of them are good, but I trust none as much as Ron.

Diashi
08-14-2011, 11:56 PM
My aunt was just like Ron, physically, (well, exercise and all) and lived sharp until age 97. Ron will make it through 2 terms and the People will love him so much the second term I doubt a Democrat will even bother..:)

Age wouldn't be the only reason Paul might not make it a full term...:(

eleganz
08-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I like Rand, it would instantly pick up more Tea Party support, away from Bachman...

puppetmaster
08-15-2011, 01:34 AM
I like the idea, and I like rand

Narmical
08-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I can only speak for me but I would not perceive Luis Fortuno as a media gimic. To my mind he seems like a choice consistent with Paul's views.

Krugerrand
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
When the time comes, John Mackey will make an excellent VP choice.