PDA

View Full Version : Use this evidence for older voters!

Brian4Liberty
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Even Money Magazine is backing Ron Paul...(at least his warnings on monetary policy and the "inflation tax").

Perhaps this is an article that people can use to illustrate exactly what Ron Paul means when he talks about monetary inflation, and why he is so much better on this issue than all of the other candidates, who are completely oblivious.

This is especially good info for the older or retired voters to read. (Or anyone who cares about savings)

---

"Retire Rich: Why the Fed's rate cut should scare you
Friday November 2, 11:03 am ET
By Janice Revell, Money Magazine senior writer

If you're saving for a retirement decades away, Thursday's big drop in the stock market shouldn't worry you too much.

But something did happen this week that you can't afford to ignore: the Federal Reserve's rate cut.

The Fed's actions could very well be ushering in a new era of inflation - and that is horrible news for your retirement portfolio.

When you save for retirement, you're saving for a lifetime supply of food, shelter and golf fees. Over time, the prices for these things only go one way: up.
With its rate cut this week, the Fed has made it clear that staving off recession is more important than reining in inflation.

But while the typical recession has lasted 18 months on average (not including the Great Depression), inflation can dog your finances for a long, long time.

Our last inflationary cycle stretched out for almost 20 years, from the mid-1960s to the early 1980s.

I'm not saying that the Fed's quarter-point rate cut is going to turn America into Argentina overnight. But you'd be wise to start taking steps to guard against the possible uptick in inflation.
I certainly can't predict the future, and neither can anyone else. One thing I do know, however, is that inflation now presents more of a threat to your retirement portfolio than it has in a long, long time."

http://biz.yahoo.com/hmoney/071102/110207_revell_moneymag.html

F3d
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM

wgadget
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Older voters are concerned about the legacy left (or not left) to their children and grandchildren. They're not ALL selfish.

F3d
11-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Brian4Liberty
11-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Old voters already know SS and medicare will collapse but they don't want to cut their benefits. They want the burden on everyone else i.e. higher taxes for people who aren't retired.

Everyone wants something for nothing...

But when they realize that their savings are being "stolen" right out from under them via the inflation tax, they won't be happy. Out of the candidates, only Ron Paul understands or even cares about that. In real terms, people with savings have lost a lot of money due to the falling dollar and inflation. They just don't know it.

angelatc
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Older voters are concerned about the legacy left (or not left) to their children and grandchildren. They're not ALL selfish.

I agree with this. AARP are formidable foes, but my parents are pretty much corn fed mid-western level headed folk, and they think that AARP are committing grievous sin by selling out their children and grandchildren.

I think Ron Paul has it just about right - we need to honor the committment to people who have invested in the plan, and let younger people opt out.

The problem, though, lies in the concept of trusting that future Presidents and Congresses continue to honor the existing committments.

F3d
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Brian4Liberty
11-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Old voters want higher taxes to partially get away from the inflation tax. Ron Paul comes up with an unrealistic solution. If you want to get SS on track, you'll need taxes. Even when getting rid of a lot of the spending, it'll cost trillions to privatize it and pay for the older generation's retirement. That has to last more than a decade.

I'm not following your logic here:
"higher taxes to partially get away from the inflation tax".

The "inflation tax" takes from people's savings and income (if the income is not adjusting to real inflation, which it isn't for most people). This happens even if people aren't getting a penny from Social Security.

Are you suggesting that SS needs massive inflation adjustments, to keep up with real inflation? I have never seen that proposal. The government depends on the fact that the debt and government obligations are reduced via inflation and the declining value of the dollar.

Inflating SS payments to keep up with true inflation would be crazy. Even the catering, ignorant politicians would not try that.

The dollar needs to be stabilized, and inflation needs to be ended, by getting rid of the worthless fiat currency system we have today. We need money backed by something real. That is the Ron Paul solution.

F3d
11-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Brian4Liberty
11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
There would be no inflation if you're not making money out of thin air. You can do this by raising taxes. Same money supply, just higher taxes.

I'm suggesting you'll need taxes without inflating the currency and less government spending (a little less benefits for retirees also).

Interesting idea, but isn't that what got us here in the first place? The fact is that they have proven that they will not be responsible with spending or the money supply and printing presses. Time to cut up the credit cards, and cut their allowance at the same time...cancer doesn't shrink by feeding it more blood and nutrients...

Brian4Liberty
11-03-2007, 11:52 AM
A related thread on the forum provides further evidence of the loss of savings to the government. This is the drop in the dollar relative to other currencies. You can tell baby-boomers that they have lost $36,000.00 dollar of every $100k in savings due to the falling US dollar in the past couple of years. And that isn't all.

This doesn't take into account the additional loss of your dollar's value due to inflation. Inflation in the things you really need to buy like food, health care, gas, energy, water, housing, etc. (I don't count increase in insurance costs, because that is not really "mandatory", although they have brainwashed and regulated everyone into thinking that it is).

Official government inflation numbers are bogus, and mainly reflect the reduction in wages that the Corporatists have achieved via the massive influx of illegal and legal immigration to increase the labor pool...

From the other thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=30391

"Via the unconstitutional Federal Reserve system, the value of the dollar in your pocket has been devalued 36% since the beginning of the wars in the middle east a few short years ago."

Johnnybags
11-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Social Security and fixed income dependants "BEWARE"
Feel like your payments do not go as far, like prices are soaring and your payments barely go up? Well, you are not alone.

Something doesn’t feel right. That's because it isn't. The best and brightest in the Government are employed to figure out how to use fancy statistics to rob their grandparents of their social security increases. Its called the "inflation tax", where costs go up faster than your increases, every year. It destroys the standard of living for those that helped build this great nation and now have retired.

It is pure and simple, an invisible tax, not on any IRS forms but even far more insidious. It is "government theft of savings" and broken promises to our elderly. How can we stop it? VOTE!

Ron Paul 08

Something like this with graphics attached.