PDA

View Full Version : Alabama was sad in 08

PC_for_Paul
08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I doubt that will change this time. The primaries are all that matter, by the time we get to 2012 elections it's a done deal. Republican Primaries in Alabama look like an AARP rally, most are too old and too brainwashed to be of any real value to us. I know I spoke with a lot of idiots back in 08.

If we can't get another gerneration to the polls for the primaries, then all I can do hope the other states do better than we will.

The goal for all these groupos should be turn out for primaries, nothing else. You will need bodies to win. If we can do that anything is possible, without it the cause is lost.

I know the mindset that will show up, if we can't counter that, it doesn't matter.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
This is my take on it PC_for_Paul. Feel free to tell me where you disagree. :)

My sister lives in Alabama. From what she tells me there is a huge buzz about Perry. They are hearing that he is a real limited-government conservative. Add his Hollywood production of a prayer meeting and the deal looks sealed. They aren't hearing any different, so how would they know better?

That is, unless we do something about it.

It is definitely Bible belt territory. Small government conservatism and the Constitution are big selling points. They are going to be concerned, as will many traditional conservatives, about Paul's statement about legalizing heroin. It wasn't posited well and therefore they will misunderstand. Same thing with his statements about Iran.

The thing is, Paul's positions are truly aligned with traditional conservative positions. They just have to be presented as such and right now, they have not been. They are just as concerned about the economy and the corruption in D.C. as the rest of us.

Ideas? Solutions?

PC_for_Paul
08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
They are closed minded, they watch fox. If Fox gives him a break then we can rank. What we need are the people on the sidelines. Those that don't vote, the average Joe. They don't vote, bible thumpers do and all older bible thumpers vote primaries. I would think you could win AL if you had 100,000 new voters. In my county 3500 could win my county primary.
http://www.city-data.com/elec08/LEE-ALABAMA.html
140,000 pop with less than 60,000 votes cast for the 08 presidential election. Maybe 1/10th needed for the primaries. Who ever has 6,000 votes in the primary wins. The republicans only have 5,000 registered republicans.

I would think Auburn could do 1,000. The rest would be hard lot of fuck it people who can't afford to take off or won't take off to vote.

Rothbardian Girl
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I live in Auburn now, as I'm a student at Auburn University. I'd love to help out in any way I could, but I don't have access to a car as of now. I know there are a couple fellow Auburn students on these forums and it'd be cool if we set something up or whatever.

PC_for_Paul
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Rothbardian girl? as in Murry Rothbard I take it, well a happy hayek to you. If you could get some people to target students you may not need a car. I'm 30 miles from there and helped in 08. I don't know how invovled I will be in this one, but I will try. The big one is the primary, we have plenty of time. Feel free to put some ideas out, maybe we can get you some signs, bumper stickers that kind of thing to spread around. If you could just hit the home games you could win the county from auburn.

Badger Paul
08-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Luckily Alabama comes so late in the game that if we're still the last candidate standing, we'll win by default.

PC_for_Paul
08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Primary: Tuesday 13 March 2012 (tentative date)

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/AL-R

I think this is how you do it. Ron stayed in last time, you have to assume he will be there and not count on momentum but grind it out and turn it out. you have to get contacts, emails, phone numbers, social media and have transportation and peer pressure for d day. I think social media has been playing a big role in the arab spring and the UK riots. In a place like auburn that can drive the vote. When does spring break start next year?
I'd say collect contacts, hit people at home games, B ball season would be great. Registration of new voters would also be great.

If you do this all the media can suck it, we will when. This time we should have a lot sleeper cells in people who became republican delegates. maybe that will cut down on some of the dirty stuff they do.

BamaAla
08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
This is my take on it PC_for_Paul. Feel free to tell me where you disagree. :)

My sister lives in Alabama. From what she tells me there is a huge buzz about Perry. They are hearing that he is a real limited-government conservative. Add his Hollywood production of a prayer meeting and the deal looks sealed. They aren't hearing any different, so how would they know better?

That is, unless we do something about it.

It is definitely Bible belt territory. Small government conservatism and the Constitution are big selling points. They are going to be concerned, as will many traditional conservatives, about Paul's statement about legalizing heroin. It wasn't posited well and therefore they will misunderstand. Same thing with his statements about Iran.

The thing is, Paul's positions are truly aligned with traditional conservative positions. They just have to be presented as such and right now, they have not been. They are just as concerned about the economy and the corruption in D.C. as the rest of us.

Ideas? Solutions?

Many people might think that, but it's really not true. There is much less concern about the Constitution, small government, better taxes than there is about protecting Israel, hang 'em high punishment, and social issues. Alabama isn't as much a "traditional conservative" as it is a neoconservative/misguided theological conservative state. Obviously there are pockets of ideology around the state, but the Republican party in the cities I have worked with them in (Birmingham, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Shelby county, Cullman) is as described above.