PDA

View Full Version : Do Republicans suffer from Marty McFly syndrome?

Philhelm
08-14-2011, 11:37 AM
For those of you who don't know what I'm alluding to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWqkun6JJg

When it comes to the issue of war, it seems that most people are no different from schoolyard children. Even with irrational anti-Muslim fears, it seems that it is less about actual conviction and more about looking "tough." I think that the mere thought of scaling back our military across the globe, not getting involved in every war every time, or even cutting one damned nickel from the national offense budget would make us look like pussies. And nobody wants to be a pussy.

Simarly, presidential candidates in general are admired for talking tough and appearing confident. Of course, this is because most prefer a leader than a representative. Kind of like it is said women like a man whot is confident, despite how bad he may be for her, it seems that the American people have the same mentality. If you're not some badass who likes to bomb nations for...well, whatever reason they come up with, then you're a pussy. It's really frustrating.

In any case, how do we get through to the people who have this mentality? I've tried to use facts, the economic argument...anything! The one thing that I have in my favor is that I was in the military and had been to Iraq. I'm forced to shamelessly exploit that so I can't be dismissed as being a part of Code Pussy...er, I mean Code Pink (seriously, the name "Code Pink" only furthers this idea that opposing a war = pussy...they didn't do themselves any favors with that name). I try so hard not to scream out CHICKENHAWK!!! from the top of my lungs; if I were to do that, I would lose in the conversion attempt.

What to do?

Teaser Rate
08-14-2011, 11:56 AM
While I'm tempted to agree with you, I think it's best not to attribute malicious motives to anyone without a specific reason.

I think it's best way to deal most situations with a but I could be wrong approach. For all I know, Santorum could be right about Iran, and not attacking them while we have a chance could lead to disastrous consequences 5 or 10 years down the line. Of course, I really doubt that this is the case, but I wouldn't jump to undermine the intellectual integrity of someone who would believe it to be true.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2011, 12:00 PM
What to do?

"You know what, you guys may be right, but, guess what? We're broke and can't afford it, even if you are right. Pull back now, save the nation, save the economy, and defend our nation, instead of going broke to make the world safe for Israel or something."

pcosmar
08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
, but I wouldn't jump to undermine the intellectual integrity of someone who would believe it to be true.

Sheesh,
and using "Intellectual Integrity" and "Santorum" in the same paragraph and context.

:(

AuH20
08-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Islamic fascism exists despite popular belief on these boards. With that said, a military drawdown is simply a fact of life when you examine the dwindling resources available to this country. Combating Islamic fanaticism IMHO needs to dropped down a few slots on our priority scale when you examine the true maladies which ail this country.

bwlibertyman
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Islamic fascism exists despite popular belief on these boards. With that said, a military drawdown is simply a fact of life when you examine the dwindling resources available to this country. Combating Islamic fanaticism IMHO needs to dropped down a few slots on our priority scale when you examine the true maladies which ail this country.

That might be true. Would there be islamic fanaticism if there weren't western troops in their holy lands? I always liken it to this. Would Anti-Federalist hit me in the back if I didn't go punch him in the face first? Can we really say that muslims hate us because we're not muslims? If that's the case why don't they attack every other country in the world? Why don't they attack China? We can't say because they have a big military (we do). What makes America so special? I can't think of anything else besides the fact that we have troops over there.

AuH20
08-14-2011, 12:14 PM
That might be true. Would there be islamic fanaticism if there weren't western troops in their holy lands? I always liken it to this. Would Anti-Federalist hit me in the back if I didn't go punch him in the face first? Can we really say that muslims hate us because we're not muslims? If that's the case why don't they attack every other country in the world? Why don't they attack China? We can't say because they have a big military (we do). What makes America so special? I can't think of anything else besides the fact that we have troops over there.

Islamic fanaticism stretches back centuries. It's not a recent phenomenon. With that said, I believe that this imperial thrust made by the anglo-american cabal certainly hasn't helped the situation.

Teaser Rate
08-14-2011, 12:14 PM

I disagree. I think that national security must remain the highest priority of our federal government and no president should ever consider dropping it. However, I do think we are doing a lot of things which have nothing to do with either national security or combating Islamic fanaticism.

What we need is to get a president into office who'll stop playing politics with national security and do what must be done to keep Americans safe; it would also be a lot cheaper than what we're doing now.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
What we need is to get a president into office who'll stop playing politics with national security and do what must be done to keep Americans safe.

There is a lot that could be done to "keep Americans safe".

All with an unacceptable loss of liberty.

I don't particularly want to be "kept safe".

Livestock is "kept safe".

I want to be left the fuck alone.

Teaser Rate
08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
There is a lot that could be done to "keep Americans safe".

All with an unacceptable loss of liberty.

I don't particularly want to be "kept safe".

Livestock is "kept safe".

I want to be left the fuck alone.

While that's a nice attitude to have, if given the choice between safety and liberty; most people will choose safety.

If you want liberty, you have to sell it under the guise of security.

DeadheadForPaul
08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
LOL @ Marty McFly syndrome

+1

pcosmar
08-14-2011, 01:17 PM

I do.
It is called the 2nd Amendment. And Armed Population is not going to be invaded.
Minor and fabricated threats can be dealt with. Enough Military on duty to secure the coastline and airspace is plenty., and much more cost effective.

moderate libertarian
08-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I do not know what GOP suffers from exactly but if they picked Perry in 2012, it will be clear that it suffers from a fatal syndrome that is causing it to self-destruct.

We had a GOP president recently who used to take advice on foreign policy/Iraq war from a higher father as he himself stated.

http://shoutsfromtheabyss.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/bush-prayer1.jpg

Now there is a chance that GOP religious crusaders may pick another man whose foreign policy is dictated by god.

WAR ROOM
Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 11:29 ET

"My faith requires me to support Israel"

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/11/perry_israel_faith/md_horiz.jpg
Rick Perry

Foreign Policy's Josh Rogin has an informative look at how Rick Perry is aligning himself with some of the most neoconservative veterans of the Bush administration:

The experts that he has reached out to include former Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Doug Feith, former NSC strategy guru William Luti, former Assistant U.S. Attorney and National Review columnist Andrew McCarthy, former Pentagon official Charles "Cully" Stimson, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe Daniel Fata, former Pentagon China official Dan Blumenthal, the Heritage Foundation's Asia expert Peter Brookes, and former U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalizad.

He also digs up an interview Perry gave to the Weekly Standard in 2009 in which the Texas governor explicitly said his views on the Middle East are informed by his evangelical Christianity:

"My faith requires me to support Israel."

That's a remarkable statement for a man who could be president -- being required by one's faith to support a foreign country. Of course, what "support" means is open to interpretation; I've asked Perry's office for elaboration.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/?story=/politics/war_room/2011/08/11/perry_israel_faith

moonshineplease
08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
In any case, how do we get through to the people who have this mentality? I've tried to use facts, the economic argument...anything! The one thing that I have in my favor is that I was in the military and had been to Iraq. I'm forced to shamelessly exploit that so I can't be dismissed as being a part of Code Pussy...er, I mean Code Pink

Don't feel shameful for relaying to others that you've been through life and understand the reality of the situation on the ground. Especially while you've got snake oil military politician types like Allen West who aren't afraid to sell their "service" when seeking public office. Just tell it like it is and explain how you dont like to see our service personnel used as chess pieces'.

moonshineplease
08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
I think it's best way to deal most situations with a but I could be wrong approach. For all I know, Santorum could be right about Iran, and not attacking them while we have a chance could lead to disastrous consequences 5 or 10 years down the line.

:rolleyes:

IMO The I could be wrong approach on an issue like that sounds like a cop out, and never works when speaking to that type of demographic.

freedomsoundmoney
08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoPJFJPOetc

affa
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
While that's a nice attitude to have, if given the choice between safety and liberty; most people will choose safety.

You've got to be flippin' kiddin' me.

Freedom sells itself. And is almost the opposite of security in many ways.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
You've got to be flippin' kiddin' me.

Freedom sells itself. And is almost the opposite of security in many ways.

While Teaser may enjoy his position as most neg repped, he's right on this.

People don't give a fuck about freedom, unless it's some "single issue" freedom, which they are all gung ho about, but everybody's else freedoms, not so much.

And if you scared and panicked these assholes: don't feed them for a week and staged a couple of "terror" attacks at the same time, shit, they'd denounce their own mother and BBQ their infants, if they were told it would keep them safe and fed.

amy31416
08-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Islamic fanaticism stretches back centuries. It's not a recent phenomenon. With that said, I believe that this imperial thrust made by the anglo-american cabal certainly hasn't helped the situation.

So does Jewish and Christian fanaticism.

Verrater
08-15-2011, 12:02 AM
This is hilarious, as I convinced a friend into looking into Ron Paul more by doing just this.
I called him a coward for not wanting to look up what the CIA did in 53. Subsequently he know supports Ron.