PDA

View Full Version : Florida

Elwar
08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Florida is trying to push the RNC into letting them have an early say in the primaries. They are leveraging the fact that the national convention will be held here and that Florida is an important swing state.

From what I have seen Florida is very good ol' boy establishment when it comes to Republicans. With that and the amount of seniors it will be difficult for Ron Paul to do well here. Mitt Romney endorsed our governor Rick Scott and will most likely receive an endorsement in return. Though Scott has actually been fairly libertarian in many of his decisions outside of a few things here and there.

What should the strategy be for Florida? A win in Florida would be huge for Ron Paul and pretty much cement him as the front runner, but it is unlikely.

I was thinking of a "Floridians for Ron Paul or bust" type of movement to let Republicans know that if Ron Paul is not our candidate, then they will lose the general election. Would that marginalize Paul?

wstrucke
08-14-2011, 11:41 AM
The great thing about seniors is that they have a lot of time on their hands. If you can invest the time into presenting everything to them openly and clearly and addressing their concerns about Ron Paul you can probably bring them around. After all, he will most likely appeal to them once they realize they actually agree with his policies.

Florida would probably be a good candidate for a DVD mass mailing, with appropriate funding of course.

libertygrl
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
The great thing about seniors is that they have a lot of time on their hands. If you can invest the time into presenting everything to them openly and clearly and addressing their concerns about Ron Paul you can probably bring them around. After all, he will most likely appeal to them once they realize they actually agree with his policies.

Florida would probably be a good candidate for a DVD mass mailing, with appropriate funding of course.

That's an excellent idea because there are those who believe Ron Paul wants to get rid of their social security. We've got to set the facts straight on that.

sailingaway
08-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Win Presidency 5 straw poll, it is the last 'big' one, I believe, and was cancelled last time, but the winner has ALWAYS won the nomination so far, each year it was held (last time it was cancelled due to fighting between the McCain and Romney camps.)

Last I saw you could still 'work your way in' to be a delegate in some areas where they didn't have enough, even though the deadline had technically passed.

sailingaway
08-14-2011, 12:17 PM
That's an excellent idea because there are those who believe Ron Paul wants to get rid of their social security. We've got to set the facts straight on that.

Make that pbs interview into a dvd marked 'Ron Paul plan to save social security and medicare' and hand it out. They are VERY interested in that issue. He only wants to end it prospectively to let people of younger generations opt out, by funding it through cuts elsewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXKrdE2x5og&feature=youtu.be

wstrucke
08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
That's a good video but I would maybe close out an authored dvd with that or include it as a supplement. He only briefly touches on Social Security -- there must be a video where he gets more in depth and more clearly states exactly how his position is the better and only way to go.

sailingaway
08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
That's a good video but I would maybe close out an authored dvd with that or include it as a supplement. He only briefly touches on Social Security -- there must be a video where he gets more in depth and more clearly states exactly how his position is the better and only way to go.

There are pieces of it scattered across several interviews but he has never gone really into just that one topic, that I know of. It is what I think needs to be done, but until then, this video is the best tool I am aware of.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Huntsman is dropping mail in FL.