PDA

View Full Version : How Would The Media Have Spun A Tie Between Bachmann & Paul?

anaconda
08-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Would the media have downgraded Bachmann to marginalize Paul? Or, what if Ron came within 1 vote of Bachmann? Did we actually benefit by ending up with a 150 or so votes between Bachmann and Dr. Paul, so that there was enough breathing room for the media to give her accolades? And, as a corollary, Ron could absorb the positive spin they put on the event? I find today's result very interesting from a main stream media perspective.

TheViper
08-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Would the media have downgraded Bachmann to marginalize Paul? Or, what if Ron came within 1 vote of Bachmann? Did we actually benefit by ending up with a 150 or so votes between Bachmann and Dr. Paul, so that there was enough breathing room for the media to give her accolades? And, as a corollary, Ron could absorb the positive spin they put on the event? I find today's result very interesting from a main stream media perspective.

I think the results are probably in our best interest.

A flat out win would have just been discredited and chalked up to an overly active, small and vocal support base. Coming within striking distance of a media darling doesn't allow for that kind of spin (as much) while giving more validity to his campaign.

RileyE104
08-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Being 152 votes away is virtually the same thing as being tied with her.

I think Paul's placement today was the best result.

Two points:

1) With all the money Bachmann spent, she only got 1% higher than Ron Paul.

2) With all the TIME that Pawlenty had invested in Iowa, he got less than half the votes Ron Paul got.

This proves that Paul is NOT simply running an educational campaign. He is running to win and has proved that through the organization that it took to pull off what was done today.

ronpaulitician
08-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Within one percent of the winner, two times as much as the second runner-up.

sailingaway
08-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Being 152 votes away is virtually the same thing as being tied with her.

I think Paul's placement today was the best result.

Two points:

1) With all the money Bachmann spent, she only got 1% higher than Ron Paul.

2) With all the TIME that Pawlenty had invested in Iowa, he got less than half the votes Ron Paul got.

This proves that Paul is NOT simply running an educational campaign. He is running to win and has proved that through the organization that it took to pull off what was done today.

this^^

They just can have her on the shows talking about it. But for all purposes of analysis it is basically a tie.

And Randy Travis won't be at the caucuses.

KingRobbStark
08-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Im glad they weren't tied. T-Paw would have otherwise gotten a big boost being in second place.

anaconda
08-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Im glad they weren't tied. T-Paw would have otherwise gotten a big boost being in second place.

HA! Interesting point.

dusman
08-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm satisfied with the result. I'm already noticing a change in tone nearly everywhere.

anaconda
08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, today the media seems to be talking about a 3-way race.

IndianaPolitico
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, today the media seems to be talking about a 3-way race.

But without Ron...

Brian4Liberty
08-15-2011, 02:17 PM
If Ron had between 1 and 400 more votes than Bachmann, it would have been called a virtual tie. Then they would have downplayed Ron as unelectable, and played up Bachmann as a real contender now. If Ron ever got any mention, it would include the statistic on how winning the poll is a contrary indicator, and has only once predicted the eventual winner.

RonPaul101.com
08-15-2011, 02:42 PM
It would have bene nice to win but the results as they are, might be even better. Winning makes supporters less hungry for the win; Ron Paul's campaign will fight hard to overcome even this minor shortfall for the Iowa Caucus 2012.

The better question to this thread would be: How would the media have handled a Bachmann Pawlenty finish of 1st and almost 1st? I bet my life they would be giving T-Paw a LOT of press and making it out to be the race within a race, essentially a tie for first to take on Romney/Perry establishment. They'd say that America has spoken that the alternative candidate(s) to a Romney/Perry is Bachmann/Pawlenty; and that the rest should all just drop out.

You know that would be the take on it if Paul and Pawlenty had switched their results. So why doesn't the media say it as, "Americans can choose Perry/Romney establishment (Bush Jr's) or pick Bachmann or Paul as their anti-establishment"? That would at least be a fair representation.

Johnnymac
08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I kind of had a feeling this would happen, we need to earn our stripes apparently and that means we need to win NH and SC and keep winning after that its the only way :/ lets not let this get us down lets all just watch the judge give ron a good review tonight at 8 and keep fighting the good fight and then win it !