PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Roundup (11-02-07)

RSDavis
11-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Ron Paul Roundup (11-02-07)
by RSDavis (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=194780914&blogID=324718261&Mytoken=4302598B-9C7B-4530-902F246B86B12AE41355350)

Hello Freedomphiles! We're going to start off the Roundup today with more on the henious bot-attack. So NetWork World reported about the issue, but they didn't say anything terribly interesting, but there was a reader response that about killed me.

The essential implication was that this spambot attack proves that Ron Paul's support is illusory. A reader named only William had this hilariously sarcastic response:

Spam was responsible for creating months of illusionary on-line support for Ron Paul for the three months before they were launched.

These treacherous emails were able to travel back in time create a hundreds (maybe thousands) of Youtube videos, generate hundreds and thousands of views, unique web traffic; 60,000 meetup.com volunteers and over five million dollars in campaign donations.

This new technology of being able to change the past with email spam must be harnessed, controlled, and used for good before someone gets hurt.

Someone should send out the same kind of spam to the whole world with a message showing disapproval for the war in Iraq. Then, we'll have all the spam that we need to prove that ALL people on the Internet really have supported the war in Iraq this whole time, and all of the internet disapproval was only spam. QUICKLY!!! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Too funny. Now, the Computerworld blog is wondering, too, whether this was a Ron Paul supporter or a sabatoeur:

There's no way to know who launched the botnet attack. Certainly, Ron Paul's opponents are gaining from it. On the other hand, you can't rule out a misguided supporter doing it on his own, either.

My favorite comment about it comes from the McAfee Avert Labs Blog. Someone, commenting on the attack, wrote this: "This is either a toxic attack from another campaign -- similar things have happened already -- or it's a complete imbecile."

I couldn't have said it any better. Given that it's political season, expect more toxic attacks....and more complete imbeciles as well, on all sides.

One the one hand, I hope it is a toxic attack, but if it is, then it won't stop. So, it might be better if it was an imbecile Paul supporter, because at least he may have learned his lesson and moved on.

The disinter blog, though, thinks they know something about this:

Sarah Lai Stirland was paid by a Giuliani adviser to publish the Articles "Criminal Botnet Stumps for Ron Paul, Researchers Allege" & "More on Ron Paul Spam" to discredit Ron Paul.

So, they think Guiliani is behind this. Here is their evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5LgUiz2mBA

Speaking of videos, you know the November 5th money bomb campaign that I've been advertising in all the Roundups? Well, Ron Paul addressed it, and here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAzKDBv5QkI

Now, if you didn't know, November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day. Some people aren't hip with anarchism (As a punk, I'm down with true anarchism, which doesn't include throwing a trash can through the window of Starbucks), so they have also scheduled one for November 11th, which is Veterans Day.

The National Ledger is plugging our good friend Liv, the "Ron Paul Girl." And, frankly, to be as dirty as possible, who wouldn't like to plug that hottie?

Anything that can get more eyes on the message of Ron Paul is a good idea. Liv teases the viewer with a quick disrobe (don't worry it's PG rated) and touts, "Smaller government, more personal liberties, a solution to the war in Iraq and a return to the basic Constitutional premises upon which this country was founded," she reads from a cue card while peeling out of her sweatshirt to reveal a Ron Paul 2008 "Hope for America" pink tank top.

Fair enough. She writes, "My first few attempts at political activism. So far, they've gotten over a quarter of a million views and got me made fun of on national TV! So... I guess that means it's more or less working. Ron Paul 2008!" Her blog is here and has lots of Ron Paul videos. Scroll to the very bottom for the strip show.

PoliticsIowa.com wrote a nice, objective piece about Ron Paul, his strategy in Iowa, and his chances:

But the congressman tried to show he is not writing off Iowa with a series of events in the state last weekend. At a Des Moines rally Saturday, he told the crowd that supporters come up to him and say, "You've cured me of my apathy." Then he gave the sentiment right back to them.

Paul delivered what the crowd wanted with ideological fervor and his trademark sustained incredulity. "There is never a need for us to sacrifice any liberty for our safety," he said to round applause.

One wonders if most of his supporters are truly on board with dismantling the welfare state and Federal Reserve, or a return to the gold standard. Regardless, they love their man, and he could be a wild card in this election.

His strategy is interesting and self-aware. Paul said on Saturday that he was once asked why he talked more about America's problems than hope for the future. True to his ob-gyn profession, he said a diagnosis had to come before action to rectify it.

His prescription is simple. "I'm running on what I don't want to do." In that, he is one-of-a-kind.

Finally, Time Magazine has a story about our man. It's not too bad. I especially liked the intro:

It sometimes seems as if someone is playing a cruel practical joke on Ron Paul. He goes to a college and delivers the same speech he's given for the past 30 years of his political career, the one espousing the Austrian school of economics. Only now the audience is packed with hundreds of kids in RON PAUL REVOLUTION T-shirts who go nuts giving standing ovations when he drones on about getting rid of the Federal Reserve and returning to the gold standard. After a speech at Iowa State last month, when nearly half the crowd had to stand because there were only 400 seats, a hipster-looking student worked his way through the half-hour-long line to shake Paul's hand. This was surely it the moment when the straight faces would break and Paul would be wedgied up the flagpole. "When you see Bernanke," the kid said, "will you tell him to stop cutting rates when gold hits 1,000?"

Politics might be rock 'n' roll for nerds, but the nerds aren't supposed to be quite this nerdy. The leader of the disaffected in next year's presidential election the Howard Dean, the Ross Perot, the Pat Buchanan is a kindly great-grandfather and obstetrician whose passion is monetary policy. Paul, a 72-year-old hard-core libertarian Republican Congressman who is against foreign intervention, subsidies and the federal income tax, is not only drawing impressive crowds (more than 2,000 at a post-debate rally at the University of Michigan last month) but also raising tons of cash. In the third quarter of 2007, Paul took in $5.3 million (just slightly less than G.O.P. rival John McCain), mostly in small, individual donations. On Oct. 22, he aired his first TV ads, $1.1 million worth in New Hampshire.

The numbers are even more impressive considering that as of early October, 72% of G.O.P. voters told Gallup pollsters they didn't know enough about Paul to form an opinion. He has been able to attract followers in the debates, where he's presented a clear, simple philosophy of personal freedom and responsibility. He bluntly refers to the U.S. as an empire. And the nerdiness lends Paul's simple message an aura of credibility, especially on a stage with more polished politicians and their nuanced positions. "He's about something that American nerd culture can get on board with: really knowing one subject and going all out on it," says Ben Darrington, a Ron Paul supporter at Yale. "For some people, it's Star Wars. For some people, it's Japanese cartoons. For Ron Paul, it's free-market commodity money."

DjLoTi
11-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Doing a quick Google on Sarah Stirland pulls up this:

http://www.sarahstirland.com/aboutMe/

American
11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Doing a quick Google on Sarah Stirland pulls up this:

http://www.sarahstirland.com/aboutMe/

I dont see her article that is in question on that web site, her web site.