PDA

View Full Version : Michigan switches to closed primary

Son of Detroit
08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Bad news... Michigan GOP voted to move to a closed primary. Looks like I'm registering Republican.

pcosmar
08-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Bad news... Michigan GOP voted to move to a closed primary. Looks like I'm registering Republican.

Shit, shit, shit.
This is deliberate to keep "Establishment Control" over the primary. Local GOP has opposed all but hand picked Neo-Cons.
That is how we got stuck with Benechek.
Ron Paul would have been guaranteed the state with an open Primary.

Yeah, I may have to hold my nose and register. I will register as a Ron Paul Republican so there is NO Misunderstanding.

nobody's_hero
08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, look for changes to happen in other open-primary states as well. I doubt Michigan will be the last.

angelatc
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
It's not even really a closed primary. All you have to do is request a Republican ballot when you get there.

My husband and I are both active in the party. If more people had stepped up when Ron asked, the vote might have been closer than 15-0. We wanted the caucus, you know.

sailingaway
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
It's not even really a closed primary. All you have to do is request a Republican ballot when you get there.

My husband and I are both active in the party. If more people had stepped up when Ron asked, the vote might have been closer than 15-0. We wanted the caucus, you know.

Yeah, I read you guys were asking for it. It said 'Ron Paul supporters wanted....' and I knew immediately how the decision would come down.....

It is great that you stayed in the party leadership.

Badger Paul
08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
The Democrats are going to a caucus. So if I'm right all you have to do is just show up and ask for a Republican ballot? That's not hard.

angelatc
08-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I read you guys were asking for it. It said 'Ron Paul supporters wanted....' and I knew immediately how the decision would come down.....

It is great that you stayed in the party leadership.

I'm no Matt Collins - leadership is out of my grasp. :) Actually, I lost the election for precinct delegate in a straw draw. So I'm just an alternate, but 3 of the 4 in our district are Paul supporters. But we are indeed active in the party, as well as the Tea Party. (The local tea party is very RP friendly, too. And they also wanted the caucus.)

DH went to the meeting in Lansing this morning, but it was a done deal before the meeting even started.

angelatc
08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
The Democrats are going to a caucus. So if I'm right all you have to do is just show up and ask for a Republican ballot? That's not hard.

Yes. It's not a closed primary, because they don't have to register as Republican or prove they're Republican. All they have to do is ask for a Republican ballot.

Badger Paul
08-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Then really, nothing has changed. Good.

angelatc
08-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Then really, nothing has changed. Good.

Bad, for a couple of reasons. First, Democrats can come vote in the GOP primary, and they're not going to vote for anybody that they think can beat The One. Rick Santorum would have a great shot at winning the GOP nomination here. Second, Paul does better in caucus states.

pcosmar
08-13-2011, 10:12 PM

I didn't.
I want an open Primary so people that still despise the Republican party can vote for Ron.
A lot of folks are still pissed about Benechek being dumped on us by a bunch of Deep pockets Outsiders.
A lot of "Ds" are disgusted at Obama. But won't join the republican party.

I got the E-Mail about it and thought it was the dumbest thing I had heard.
It will almost guarantee an Establishment win.

anewvoice
08-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Was just looking for this, so to be clear all I have to do is ask for a Republican ballot and I can cast my vote for RP..

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-14-2011, 08:30 AM
There's no reason for people not to register Republican. It's not like it costs you any money. You can unaffiliate yourself after Ron Paul is elected.

pcosmar
08-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Looking at the write ups, it is not as bad as I thought. Some wanted a closed caucus, but that did not pass.
This is simply signing in as an "R". It's not like I have to pay money (I don't have) to join the party.

I hope it does not keep support away from Ron, though I have no doubts that the party will be pushing Mitt. (they did last time)