PDA

View Full Version : So where the hell IS Valley Forge?

Sematary
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
The Valley Forge Convention Center is conveniently located in the heart of Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and only 20 minutes from Philadelphia.

Key point here - it's only 20 minutes away
(P.S. - we're still working on trying to salvage Independence Mall) ;)

http://www.doomwadstation.com/ronpaulsigns/vf.JPG

sedele
11-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Here it is.

http://www.marketsquareshows.com/images/map_vf.gif

rajibo
11-02-2007, 01:21 PM
The Valley Forge Convention Center is conveniently located in the heart of Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and only 20 minutes from Philadelphia.

Key point here - it's only 20 minutes away
(P.S. - we're still working on trying to salvage Independence Mall) ;)

Although the Schuyllkill Expressway (Rt 76) may be one of the worst "Expressways" on the planet. So bank on 30 or more minutes if your route takes you that way. It's a crapshoot as to whether you'll hit horrible traffic or not.

wgadget
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
It's where General Washington spent the winter with his barefoot and bleeding troops in the name of LIBERTY.

tfelice
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Although the Schuyllkill Expressway (Rt 76) may be one of the worst "Expressways" on the planet. So bank on 30 or more minutes if your route takes you that way. It's a crapshoot as to whether you'll hit horrible traffic or not.

I couldn't agree more. If you are coming from Center City Philly, or from the airport give yourself an hour. Best case is you won't hit traffic and get there real early, worst case is you'll be crawling from City Ave through the Conshy Curve.

ItsTime
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
get your meet up group to donate the $140k thats about the only way it will be where you "planned" it to be.

terlinguatx
11-02-2007, 01:42 PM

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I couldn't agree more. If you are coming from Center City Philly, or from the airport give yourself an hour. Best case is you won't hit traffic and get there real early, worst case is you'll be crawling from City Ave through the Conshy Curve.

Add on an extra twenty minutes as the traffic crawls to a standstill reading Ron Paul Revolution signs.

tfelice
11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
get your meet up group to donate the $140k thats about the only way it will be where you "planned" it to be.

If a meetup group can quickly raise 140K wouldn't that money be much better off in the hands of the campaign HQ rather than lining the pockets of the Philly union bosses and politicians?

ItsTime
11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
not according to these people....

If a meetup group can quickly raise 140K wouldn't that money be much better off in the hands of the campaign HQ rather than lining the pockets of the Philly union bosses and politicians?

tfelice
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
not according to these people....

I missed the threads yesterday. I'm guessing it was more of the "it's our idea and we want it regardless of the consequences" mentality. Correct?

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Obviously not enough commuters are able to use the fast and efficient "shuttle bus lane." Have you considered "car pooling?"

TobyPA
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm all for this rally, and I have been since I first heard of it. I agree that moving the rally last minute isn't a great move, but what's done is done. Why are people STILL trying to get a rally at Ind. Mall? Why split the troops over this? Why not try to get as many people as we can to Valley Forge?

You want media attention? Let's see what kind of attention we get when Route 422 comes to a screeching HALT because of the THOUSANDS of people trying to jam into the place. I live about an hour from Philly and I can tell you traffic on 422 SUCKS. I'd love nothing more than to see lines of traffic for MILES in each direction because people are trying to get to the rally.

I'm planning to taking an RV and getting there Friday night. I'd suggest that others that live close do the same, or get up REALLY early on Sat morning and get there before the traffic hits.

Just my 2 cents.

tfelice
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Toby,

Even if they drew 10K people it wouldn't jam the area that much. It's a Saturday so there will be no rush hour traffic that is typical of that highway. The convention center has been filled for other events before and the traffic wasn't to that extreme.

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm all for this rally, and I have been since I first heard of it. I agree that moving the rally last minute isn't a great move, but what's done is done. Why are people STILL trying to get a rally at Ind. Mall? Why split the troops over this? Why not try to get as many people as we can to Valley Forge?

You want media attention? Let's see what kind of attention we get when Route 422 comes to a screeching HALT because of the THOUSANDS of people trying to jam into the place. I live about an hour from Philly and I can tell you traffic on 422 SUCKS. I'd love nothing more than to see lines of traffic for MILES in each direction because people are trying to get to the rally.

I'm planning to taking an RV and getting there Friday night. I'd suggest that others that live close do the same, or get up REALLY early on Sat morning and get there before the traffic hits.

Just my 2 cents.
Amazing. The brochure says it's a 20 minute drive. Yeah, everyone knows they're optimistic on their predictions, but the "info" according to your post, is allow more time to get to Valley Forge than it would take to make the flight from LAX... I could possibly complete a European holiday and catch you at the exit ramp.

TobyPA
11-02-2007, 02:27 PM
well, technically...it IS a 20 min drive...but with the traffic, I'd allow a bit more time if you are coming from Center City Philly. Maybe I'm just being optimistic about the turnout :)

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
well, technically...it IS a 20 min drive...but with the traffic, I'd allow a bit more time if you are coming from Center City Philly. Maybe I'm just being optimistic about the turnout :)

Are you a local? Give us the low-down on travel time non-peak please. Thanks.

tfelice
11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Amazing. The brochure says it's a 20 minute drive. Yeah, everyone knows they're optimistic on their predictions, but the "info" according to your post, is allow more time to get to Valley Forge than it would take to make the flight from LAX... I could possibly complete a European holiday and catch you at the exit ramp.

It's a 20 minute drive at 3 in the morning. See the problem with Philly is they built the main highway going into the city from the Western burbs alongside a river, so its a mid-1950's highway with no possibility of expansion. It was obsolete the day it opened. Giev yourself an hour coming from Center City or the Airport.

TobyPA
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Yes, I'm local...EXACTLY what Tfelice said..

Bradley in DC
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
WTF? Shouldn't any of these decisions have been made some time ago?

Oh, nevermind. I'll be in Seattle if anyone there wants to meetup. Lesson here: take as much responsibility for getting Dr. Paul elected as you can yourself.

[ronpaul-25] Philly Rally Relocation?
Sent: Fri 11/02/07 5:15 PM
Reply-to: ronpaul-25@meetup.com
To: ronpaul-25-announce@meetup.com
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The campaign has made the decision to relocate the rally out of central Philadelphia due to cost concerns. It has been deemed an unfortunate necessity that those funds are better allocated to key primary state, and the rally in Philadelphia is being scaled back to a regional event.

The rally will still happen, but it will probably be moved either to UPenn or out to Valley Forge. That should become more clear tomorrow.

In accordance with the smaller scale, the benefit is that it will provide a more intimate setting for regional supporters to meet Dr. Paul, and we will ensure the Meetups involved in this effort get their private meeting, as guaranteed.

I know there was a great deal of expectation and hope for this rally. I also know that materials had been produced and distributed at considerable expense to promote this event. On behalf of the campaign, I apologize that it did not prove workable to have the event as originally planned.

Yours,
Tom

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, that's it then...

gjdavis60
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Now you're talkin'! Just like Gary Oldman says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk): Bring everyone. EVERYONE!!

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Bradley in DC, Seeming you made it sound so official and everything and explained it so everyone could understand, it's all worked out for the best then. Your direction is so "soothing" and sometimes a stern word and a cup of tea is all I need... I should have realized my place at the table.

ronpaulhawaii
11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I havn't had the time to see what happened. Quite the bitter pill I see now.

Water under the bridge with a lesson floating by.

Valley Forge is actually a great place for this also. I hope everyone continues to "Press On" with renewable vigor, for victory is ... thataway...

m