PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul Reaction To Father Ron Paul's Grand Showing At The Ames Straw Poll

Immortal Technique
08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2kykUKiNuo

Airing date aug.13, 2011

Rand Paul Reaction To Father Ron Paul's Grand Showing At The Ames Straw Poll

KramerDSP
08-13-2011, 07:49 PM
What was Rand saying?

trey4sports
08-13-2011, 07:51 PM
good interview. Praises his dad

Agorism
08-13-2011, 07:53 PM
No reason to praise Bachmann in my opinion.

smartguy911
Man Rand Paul knows how to answer questions.

Brett85
Rand seemed to kind of dodge the Iran issue though. I don't think he really wanted to talk about an issue where he and Ron disagree.

AuH20
08-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Rand knows the deal. Paul + Bachmann versus the rats. Obviously, no one has the credentials of Ron Paul but at least he's not flying alone.

Echoes
08-13-2011, 07:55 PM

If only Ron had his smooth delivery..

Agorism
08-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Mitchell Bachmann was a great victory for the establishment and status quo politics.

Texan4Life
08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
What was Rand saying?

great interview Hannity was very civil and rand answered like a pro. Asked if they were happy with a 2nd place finish. Rand said yes, and joked if they could have been outside of a walmart with the cute grand kids they could have gotten another 150 votes to win first. Gives credit to the tea party for the 1st and 2nd place victors. Time to get rid of timmy geithner. Rand did a great job defending Ron's foreign policy and had Hannity agreeing.

Hannity asks if he is going to run for prez. Rand says one paul at a time.

Nate-ForLiberty
08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
sharp as hell interview. Rand is definitely Presidential material. 2016!

Ricky201
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I love Rand...I really do, but dude...stop pluggin' Michelle Bachmann's name.

nobody's_hero
08-13-2011, 08:02 PM

He's not playing to Bachmann; he's playing to her supporters.

I think Rand Paul made a smart move with his comments. He's establishing the mindset that Bachmann and Ron Paul are at least similar enough to the point where Tea Party members could be comfortable with either. If Bachmann doesn't do as well in other states and drops out (then again, she'll probably ride this thing all the way to the primaries), those supporters can start looking at Ron Paul as a second choice.

I mean, that's almost a third of the vote.

I can't imagine Rand getting on and being like, "Bachmann sucks corndogs! My dad is much cooler."

Texan4Life
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM

I think Rand Paul made a smart move with his comments. He's establishing the mindset that Bachmann and Ron Paul are at least similar enough to the point where Tea Party members could be comfortable with either. If Bachmann doesn't do as well in other states and drops out, those supporters can start looking at Ron Paul as a second choice.

+1 at first I was like WTF. but then i thought about it. Rand is just good at playing the game. And I think that is part of the reason he has broader appeal.

Agorism
08-13-2011, 08:05 PM
No reason to play along with the lie that Mitchell is a Tea Party candidate though. She's not.

AuH20
08-13-2011, 08:05 PM

I think Rand Paul made a smart move with his comments. He's establishing the mindset that Bachmann and Ron Paul are at least similar enough to the point where Tea Party members could be comfortable with either. If Bachmann doesn't do as well in other states and drops out (then again, she'll probably ride this thing all the way to the primaries), those supporters can start looking at Ron Paul as a second choice.

Exactly. I'm not running to vote for Michelle Bachmann but if Ron is knocked out and it's Super Tuesday and it's only Michelle and Perry, Bachmann's record is sufficient enough for me to cast the death vote against Perry. I hate Perry. Absolutely hate that NWO scam artist.

AuH20
08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
No reason to play along with the lie that Mitchell is a Tea Party candidate though. She's not.

Based on her votes she undoubtedly is. She's not nearly as complete as Ron but she is. Anti-Fed, Anti-Debt Ceiling and Anti-TARP is diametrically opposed to the establishment agenda, especially among this narrow batch of candidates.

SwooshOU
08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm surprised Hannity wasn't more hostile towards the ideas that Ron Paul espouses. Showings like this will slowly turn the neocon base of the GOP towards the Constitution and Ron Paul.

Man, Rand Paul will be quite the Presidential candidate someday.

KramerDSP
08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
great interview Hannity was very civil and rand answered like a pro. Asked if they were happy with a 2nd place finish. Rand said yes, and joked if they could have been outside of a walmart with the cute grand kids they could have gotten another 150 votes to win first. Gives credit to the tea party for the 1st and 2nd place victors. Time to get rid of timmy geithner. Rand did a great job defending Ron's foreign policy and had Hannity agreeing.

+Rep Thanks!

Agorism
08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Based on her votes she undoubtedly is. She's not nearly as complete as Ron but she is. Anti-Fed, Anti-Debt Ceiling and Anti-TARP is diametrically opposed to the establishment agenda, especially among this narrow batch of candidates.

That won't last long if she is prez. Debt ceiling vote was for show. Plenty of holes in her voting record.

AuH20
08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
That won't last long if she is prez. Debt ceiling vote was for show. Plenty of holes in her voting record.

Voted against TARP when the rest of the goons caved. Record isn't bad. Obviously, it can't compare to Dr. No.

Brett85
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM

I considered supporting Bachmann in the GOP primary. I like most of her views on domestic issues, and I thought that she was starting to come around on foreign policy issues when she came out opposed to the intervention in Libya. But then she had to go suck up to the Weekly Standard wing of the Republican Party and say that we needed to "stay the course in Afghanistan." I absolutely won't vote for a GOP candidate in the primary who supports nation building in Afghanistan. I don't care if Ron Paul drops out of the race by the time I vote or not. I'll just write in Ron Paul's name.

TroySmith
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
The fact is Ron and Bachmann have a similar voting bloc. Rand is brilliant in understanding the long term strategy of winning here.

Sentient Void
08-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Indeed. Rand Paul has unbelievable amounts of what I call 'political intelligence'. He will be essential to penetrating (relatively mostly) libertarian philosophy into the mainstream.

This interview shows how good and quick on his feet is.

MikeStanart
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM
A president is being groomed. Rand is as sharp as they get. 2016!

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM
One Paul at a time guys. One Paul at a time.

MikeStanart
08-13-2011, 08:39 PM
One Paul at a time guys. One Paul at a time.

Of course! It's just amazing to see someone who has all the beliefs as his dad, but articulate and as sharp as they get. He was worth every donation penny.

AcousticFoodie
08-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Wait...so bachmann is actually good? She doesn't demonstrate nearly as much econ knowledge and I get the sense she is just acting a certain way to get votes whereas Ron always acts on principle...am I wrong here? Bachman also seems to not value state rights as much and her personal views on connecting her faith and politics really seem to blur the line between separation of church and state....am i wrong here? Is she actually a good 2nd choice to ron?

Sola_Fide
When Hannity said that conservatives agree with Ron on fiscal issues but not war issues, Rand should have said war IS a fiscal issue!

Imaginos
I agree but Rand played smart.
I abhor Bachmann (as all of you already know) but I think Rand's strategy is exceptionally wise one.
Just let snakes have their party.
When Dr. Paul moved to the White House, then we can start some serious work.

angelatc
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
What was Rand saying?

Doesn't YouTube have a caption function thing?

Quick rundown: They're ecstatic about the 2nd place victory. Thinks the TEA Party was the big winner over the establishment today - even though Bachmann and Paul have some differences, they're viewed as the two prominent TEA Party candidates. Says that Wasserman-Schultz is wrong about this indicating that the TEA Party has taken over the GOP. (Actually says "We can only wish!") Hannity says that in the past principles were considered bad, and compromise got us into this mess. Paul points out that the people that are doing good are the people that aren't selling out their principles, not following the polls. A little Obama bashing. Hannity thinks Obama is following a radical agenda, while Paul thinks Obama is clueless. Says he's going to introduce a motion to get a vote of no confidence in Geithner. Hannity asks if foreign policy will be problematic for Ron, Rand turns it into an attack on undeclared wars and Libya specifically. Says he has an 18 year old, and just visited a 19 year old at Walter Reed who lost his leg in combat, and that the most important vote Congress makes is to send kids to war. Debt ceiling - unless you think your income is going to up up at least 8% every year you should be worried about it. Doesn't rule out a 2016 run. Says Ron Paul has created a whole new wing of the Republican Party, and Ron Paul is bringing back disgruntled Republicans, new young Republicans as well as independents, and the party should thank him for that. He identifies himself as a constitutional conservative.

bunklocoempire
08-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Rand is mighty slick. When the wheel's come off MB's wagon they'll (voters) remember a 'Paul' treated her well. I'm tellin' ya, watching Rand is like watching Mario Lemieux smo-ooth.

Bunkloco

anaconda
08-13-2011, 08:50 PM

^This

trey4sports
08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Wait...so bachmann is actually good? She doesn't demonstrate nearly as much econ knowledge and I get the sense she is just acting a certain way to get votes whereas Ron always acts on principle...am I wrong here? Bachman also seems to not value state rights as much and her personal views on connecting her faith and politics really seem to blur the line between separation of church and state....am i wrong here? Is she actually a good 2nd choice to ron?

She is pro patriot act, pro afg. war, pro drug war, republican.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 08:53 PM

and pro iraq war.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 08:54 PM

this made me of think of a possible question to Bachmann: do the states have a right to set their own drug policies under the 10th amendment?

somebody's gotta ask her on a town hall or something!

AuH20
08-13-2011, 08:54 PM

I think so. She could have voted for TARP twice and no one would have batted an eyelash, but she didn't. Huge vote IMHO.

Imaginos
08-13-2011, 08:55 PM
In other words, she's a controlled dissent, supported by the establishment to maintain the status quo.

AuH20
08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
In other words, she's a controlled dissent, supported by the establishment to maintain the status quo.

No. There are few republicans who vote for these policies because they truly believe they are doing good by limiting access to drugs and fighting Islamo-fascism. Secondly, I'm pretty certain she was convinced by her colleague Steve King that the Patriot Act contained no risk for civilians (which to my knowledge is neither here nor there). Not everyone has a direct hotline to the Bilderberg group.

georgiaboy
08-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Thanks for this summary, +rep.

Mr. Hannity, please accept my thanks for giving respect to Ron Paul through his son, Rand. You've come a long way in your treatment of Ron Paul and his principled stands on the issues of our day. It's really all we've been asking for for years, a fair and respectful conversation, and credit where credit is due, ad hominem free. After this showing at the Ames Straw Poll, I hope to hear you mention his name seriously and frequently when you go through the list of candidates seeking the GOP nomination in your daily talks.

specsaregood
08-13-2011, 09:14 PM

She can't do that unless she plans on leaving congress. In Minnesota you can't run for congress and president at the same time. She has to decide at some point which she is going to do and go all in. Which is why I keep saying we need an RP supporter to pressure her at home and file to run for her seat.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
She can't do that unless she plans on leaving congress. In Minnesota you can't run for congress and president at the same time. She has to decide at some point which she is going to do and go all in.

does anyone know when exactly she needs to decide? is it before or after NH, SC, or NV?

specsaregood
08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
does anyone know when exactly she needs to decide? is it before or after NH, SC, or NV?

I'm trying to find that out right now.

specsaregood
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Here we go:
http://forestlaketimes.com/2011/06/21/boundary-of-new-6th-district-a-factor-in-who-may-run-for-congress/

Sixth Congressional District Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, recently announced she would not actively run for reelection to Congress while a presidential candidate.

Bachmann, along with former Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty, is currently in the hunt for the Republican Party presidential endorsement.

A recent Rasmussen poll had the third-term congresswoman running second to former Republican Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

This leaves things in the 6th District unsettled.

6th to Downsize

Not only is there a chance the incumbent may not run again, but the redistricting process will eventually result in a redrawn district.

The 2010 census data shows the 6th, with some 759,478 residents, the largest of Minnesota’s eight congressional districts.

Bachmann has almost a year to decide whether or not to run for Congress again.

The filing period for candidates interested in running for state and federal offices in Minnesota is from May 22 to June 5, 2012.

Several early presidential milestones, such the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary, will be over by the filing deadline.

Minnesota Republican Party State Chairman Tony Sutton assumes Bachmann, should her presidential ambitions come up short, will run again for Congress.

We need somebody to start knocking on doors and getting RP supporters to help them, make her feel some pressure.

Rocco
08-13-2011, 09:31 PM
The thing that makes Rand special is he will, uniformely, unite Bachmann, Paul and Cain people. He will also pull from Perry and even Pawlenty a little. No matter how Ron does in 2012, Rand will be polling above 20% throughout the polling in 2016 (assuming Ron's a 1 term president =D ) and be considered a frontrunner from the start

tnvoter
08-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Rand Paul is going to be a great president someday. Just like his father will be.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 10:05 PM
The filing period for candidates interested in running for state and federal offices in Minnesota is from May 22 to June 5, 2012.

so after all the early primaries, right?

We need somebody to start knocking on doors and getting RP supporters to help them, make her feel some pressure.

agree.

JJonesMBA
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
...In Minnesota you can't run for congress and president at the same time. She has to decide at some point which she is going to do...

FYI, the MN Primary isn't until exactly one year from today (http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=239). However, the caucus is Feb 7th, 2012. Does anyone know if the rules require a candidate to be on the ballot for the caucus in order to be on the ballot for the primary? If so, then we may have a strategy. (Otherwise, she should be able to run all the way through Super Tuesday and beyond without a hiccup.)

If MB does come up short in IA, NH & SC, AND feels pressure for her congressional seat early and fast (which I think is improbable under current circumstances of continuous and positive media coverage and associated high polling numbers), then she might have to drop her bid for POTUS early. Without an intense and costly smear campaign, a strong challenger for her Congressional seat, or a high impact miscalculation by the candidate - unlikely if she stays on message: "Barack Obama is a one term President" - the restriction may not be a factor. Bottom line, Ron needs a strong showing in IA, NH & SC.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Rand seemed to kind of dodge the Iran issue though. I don't think he really wanted to talk about an issue where he and Ron disagree.
I don't think they disagree

Napoleon's Shadow
08-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Hilarious - at 2:00 Hannity says "well, this is the interesting thing..." was that subliminal, or was he trying to be funny? LOL

Brett85
08-19-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't think they disagree

They disagree on sanctions on Iran. Rand supports sanctions on Iran and Ron doesn't.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
They disagree on sanctions on Iran. Rand supports sanctions on Iran and Ron doesn't.
Please quote and cite your source?

Brett85
08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Please quote and cite your source?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?308941-Senators-unite-around-punishing-Iran-Maybe-Rand

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Rand seemed to kind of dodge the Iran issue though. I don't think he really wanted to talk about an issue where he and Ron disagree. I get a lot of flack but I noticed some of Rand's language as not upfront .I like Ron Paul for his upfront honesty .