PDA

View Full Version : Conversation With My Dad

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
LoL. I called up my Dad who is active in the Kentucky GOP, and asked him what he thought about the straw poll results.

Me: What do you think? Less than 200 votes.

Dad: Yeah I can't believe it, but Ron Paul can't win. Michelle Bachmann can win but Ron Paul can't.

Me: Why not? If Ron Paul was less than 200 votes away from Bachmann, why don't you think he can win.

Dad: Well, he doesn't have strong support in the GOP.

Me: Does Perry, Cain, Santorum, or Pawlenty have strong support? Why didn't their strong support translate to a win at Ames?

Dad: Talk to your Mother.

:collins:

CrissyNY
08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh wow, my dad's the same way.

He is the best most honest man I know, but he's just stuck in this dumb GOP rut.

The only thing that's gotten me anywhere with my pop is Rand Paul.

I'd play that angle.

Epic
08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Ron Paul does way better in polling vs. Obama than Bachmann.

So why can't he win nomination?

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Oh wow, my dad's the same way.

He is the best most honest man I know, but he's just stuck in this dumb GOP rut.

The only thing that's gotten me anywhere with my pop is Rand Paul.

I'd play that angle.

My Dad was the co-founder of the Tri-county Tea Party in northern KY. He loves Rand. He just can't put things together yet for Ron. I think the seeds are being planted though:).

DeadheadForPaul
08-13-2011, 07:03 PM
My family refuses to acknowledge that he can win anything.

He could have taken the poll with 60% and they woulda said "unelectable", "outside-the-mainstream", "isolationist', and "gold standard kook"

Sigh

flightlesskiwi
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
had a good conversation with my mom after the straw poll results.

she definitely agrees the troops need to come home now so we can have a strong defense. and she would like to see government regulation reduced... everything coming out of her mouth my response was: "mom, Ron Paul is the guy!! look him up!!" i think i'll have her converted before the primary...

now to get my dad to stop listening to rush and hannity. :(

Verrater
08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
you win dude. You shouldn't have let him end the conversation, it was an obvious cop out.

edit:
Sow the seeds of doubt, if there is any soil, it will grow.

wgadget
08-13-2011, 07:23 PM
had a good conversation with my mom after the straw poll results.

she definitely agrees the troops need to come home now so we can have a strong defense. and she would like to see government regulation reduced... everything coming out of her mouth my response was: "mom, Ron Paul is the guy!! look him up!!" i think i'll have her converted before the primary...

now to get my dad to stop listening to rush and hannity. :(

Tell your dad that as much as they like to diss the "mainstream media," Hannity and Rush ARE the mainstream media. Tell him to notice HOW the MSM treats Ron Paul's win. Tell him to pay attention very, very carefully. It's time for him to wake up.

thehighwaymanq
08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
My mother will vote for him "when he proves he can win"

smartguy911
08-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I have converted everyone around me. You guys are not doing it the right way.

flightlesskiwi
08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Tell your dad that as much as they like to diss the "mainstream media," Hannity and Rush ARE the mainstream media. Tell him to notice HOW the MSM treats Ron Paul's win. Tell him to pay attention very, very carefully. It's time for him to wake up.

good points.

my dad is a vietnam vet and my husband is currently in the .mil and has already been on his 4th deployment. so i know all about the friggin' stress of multiple deployments. i plan on playing up Ron's foreign policy with him-- bring them home!! we have a weak defense system being spread so thin and the troops being taxed to the ops tempo max. just waiting for the right time.

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

LoL. I'm dealing with a family that has been deeply entrenched in GOP-mania for many years now.

flightlesskiwi
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

please do share... especially if you have any strategies for staunch neoconservatives.

malkusm
08-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the pointers! :rolleyes:

RonPaulFever
08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I told my mom that Ron came in 2nd and she was surprised because she hasn't seen him in the news at all. :mad:

libertybrewcity
08-13-2011, 07:46 PM
well my dad thinks that all states should have uniform laws...although he did come around to decriminalizing marijuana. in time in time

KingRobbStark
08-13-2011, 07:57 PM
My parents don't give a damn, and they will vote for whom ever I tell them to vote for. Works for me.

Aliangel
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
converted my dad, my mom has no clue who our president is.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 08:10 PM
well my dad thinks that all states should have uniform laws...although he did come around to decriminalizing marijuana. in time in time

did you respond with "do you also want all shoes to look the same?"

The Magic Hoof
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM
I was about to post a new topic actually. Please give some responses to this:

I talked to my father and he said that the only thing he doesn't like about the debates the other day is how Ron was talking about not fooling with Iran. He's concerned that they'll nuke us or something. So I tell him, 'dad, we've been fucking with Iran for so many years and if we'd just leave them alone they won't do ANYTHING to us. WE started the crap over there'. But he's still concerned and probably thinks we should thwart them getting nukes by bombing the shit out of them more, or something.

How can I persuade him?

Darin
08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
LoL. I called up my Dad who is active in the Kentucky GOP, and asked him what he thought about the straw poll results.

Dad: Yeah I can't believe it, but Ron Paul can't win. Michelle Bachmann can win but Ron Paul can't.

Me: Why not? If Ron Paul was less than 200 votes away from Bachmann, why don't you think he can win.

Me: Does Perry, Cain, Santorum, or Pawlenty have strong support? Why didn't their strong support translate to a win at Ames?

HAHA. Sounds familiar to me.

Your screen name made me laugh too.

- Darin

Romulus
08-13-2011, 08:21 PM

Sounds familiar here too... Ask him if he wants him to win?

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
How can I persuade him?

Israel will wipe them out if Iran points a finger in their direction, and we better stay out of Israel's way.

PineGroveDave
08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I've pretty much managed to win over my entire crew of technicians. Yes...I hold "US Constitution 101" lectures weekly with the guys. I told them about this last debate and several of them actually watched and loved RP. My BIL voted Obama in the last election. He and my SIL were rather condescending in their attitudes toward us regarding our support for RP. My BIL called us a couple of weeks ago and he conceded that we were right. He conceded that he should have thrown in support for RP. He is now an Obama convert and regularly posts RP news on his FB wall.

bunklocoempire
08-13-2011, 08:33 PM
I've pretty much managed to win over my entire crew of technicians. Yes...I hold "US Constitution 101" lectures weekly with the guys. I told them about this last debate and several of them actually watched and loved RP. My BIL voted Obama in the last election. He and my SIL were rather condescending in their attitudes toward us regarding our support for RP. My BIL called us a couple of weeks ago and he conceded that we were right. He conceded that he should have thrown in support for RP. He is now an Obama convert and regularly posts RP news on his FB wall.

Way cool. :cool:

+ rep

Bunkloco

ItsTime
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM

I talked to my father and he said that the only thing he doesn't like about the debates the other day is how Ron was talking about not fooling with Iran. He's concerned that they'll nuke us or something. So I tell him, 'dad, we've been fucking with Iran for so many years and if we'd just leave them alone they won't do ANYTHING to us. WE started the crap over there'. But he's still concerned and probably thinks we should thwart them getting nukes by bombing the shit out of them more, or something.

How can I persuade him?

You cant, he has to do it himself.

But our own CIA says Iran is decades away from a nuke, sanctions will not stop them from trying. Ron Paul will only be president for four years so why not give him a chance. :cool:

moonshineplease
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM

How can I persuade him?

Tell him Ron is the only Vet running. Hes got more support from the military than all the other republican candidates combined. They love the guy. Also tell him Ron Paul knows a lot more about the world of Middle East regional geopolitics than the gatekeepers of public opinion known as "the media" whom only report what the think tanks tell them. Fooling with Iran = preemptive war which goes against christian doctrine of just war.

PineGroveDave
08-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Tell him Ron is the only Vet running..
Not anymore...Perry is a vet. Although not an immediate threat to RP at the moment, his entry has effectively ended Romney's campaign....IMO of course.

bolidew
08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
That's why it is so important to have more high-profile "main stream" celebrities to endorse Ron. Then you have more to say.

Suzu
08-13-2011, 09:22 PM
The next time someone questions RP's electability, just say "He's been elected to congress eleven times. How did that happen if he's not electable?"

Suzu
08-13-2011, 09:26 PM
A shout out to all you guys bitching about having to argue with your parents: Be damn glad they're around to argue with. Some of us no longer have that privilege. I'd give a lot to have my dad around to argue with again. He was smart enough to know which candidate deserves a vote, so it wouldn't take much to persuade him.

GunnyFreedom
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM

How can I persuade him?

The only reason Iran still exists is because the United States keeps telling Israel that they aren't allowed to interviene. Ron Paul is the only candidate running who will not impose his will against the sovereignty of Israel. Ron Paul was the only Congressman to come oit against the condemnation of Isarel for bombing the nuclear reactor in Iraq. The best check agains Iran is to allow Israel free reign in the region, and only Ron Paul will do that.

bunklocoempire
08-13-2011, 09:38 PM
A shout out to all you guys bitching about having to argue with your parents: Be damn glad they're around to argue with. Some of us no longer have that privilege. I'd give a lot to have my dad around to argue with again. He was smart enough to know which candidate deserves a vote, so it wouldn't take much to persuade him.

^^ sound advice ^^

That goes for anyone we care about.

Bunkloco

Jingles
08-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh god, at least your dad is a Republican and you at least have a shot. My dad is such a strong democrat that its impossible to even talk to him about politics. I once began a conversation with him and he went into this emotion rage rant about how I hated poor people (I didn't even say anything other than I'm a libertarian. That was all I said). That was a couple years ago. I decided never to talk to my dad about politics ever again after that.

I came from a family of democrats to be a typical establishment republican to discover Ron Paul and become a Libertarian lol.

joebus36
08-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I have been tyring to get my dad to budge for months now. My dad would support Ron 100% except he believes Ron is an "isolationist". After the debate and Ron talking about allowing Iran to get a nuke I think all hope is lost for my dad, but I guess that is what happens when someone watches fox every night for the Past 20 years.

NYgs23
08-13-2011, 11:36 PM

How can I persuade him?

What I say is there are only two options for dealing with them: militarism or non-interventionism. Militarism will just antagonize them and make them MORE likely to seek a bomb, whereas non-interventionism will reduce their motivation for doing so. So if that's your concern, Ron Paul's non-interventionism is the most sensible policy.

low preference guy
08-13-2011, 11:38 PM
What I say is there are only two options for dealing with them: militarism or non-interventionism. Militarism will just antagonize them and make them MORE likely to seek a bomb, whereas non-interventionism will reduce their motivation for doing so. So if that's your concern, Ron Paul's non-interventionism is the most sensible policy.

More importantly, non-interventionism will allow Israel to deal with them if they misbehave.

NYgs23
08-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Oh god, at least your dad is a Republican and you at least have a shot. My dad is such a strong democrat that its impossible to even talk to him about politics. I once began a conversation with him and he went into this emotion rage rant about how I hated poor people (I didn't even say anything other than I'm a libertarian. That was all I said). That was a couple years ago. I decided never to talk to my dad about politics ever again after that.

I came from a family of democrats to be a typical establishment republican to discover Ron Paul and become a Libertarian lol.

Boy, I know how you feel. Most people around here seem to come from right-wing families. Not my New York liberal Democrat clan. Most recently, they jumped down my throat for calling communism evil. I guess it just sounded too judgmental.

Restore-America-NOW
08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I've sold my mom to Ron Paul as long as Giuliani doesn't enter the race, then she's pulling for him (god help her)

My dad is a former Obama supporter who doesn't really care yet, but is probably leaning towards the good doctor as well.

The rest of my family is all over the place, from brainwashed Liberals to war hawks to Jesse Ventura types. I've got a hard job here.

John of Des Moines
08-14-2011, 12:30 AM

How can I persuade him?

Getting him to agree with you first tell him that the U.S. is a party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. (Okay son agreed.) The nation of Iran is also a party to said. (Agreed.) Under the treaty any party nation has the UNQUALIFIED right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. (Agreed.) Under the treaty U.S does not has a right but a has a duty, an obligation to assist in the development by any treaty party nation that wishes to develop nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. Iran has asked for U.S. assistance under the treaty. The US has VIOLATED its duty to assist Iran in development of peaceful nuclear energy. Notwithstanding the US's violation of the treaty Iran has continued to abide by the terms of the treaty by allowing international inspectors to inspect Iran's nuclear plants. The inspectors have repeatedly said that Iran's nuclear plant designs and subsequent construction CAN NOT be used for offensive weapons development. (Point out the same inspectors said Iraq had no nuclear weapons but Geo. Bush otherwise - who was right in the instance the Inspectors or the non-inspecting U.S.?) Also point out the plant Iran is building produces energy and a lot of nuclear medial stuff that degrades in very short order - less than 72 hours so must be made for delivery in country.

Point out the Iran has not invaded another country in 200 years. And since the 1979 Iranian revolution it has not invaded another country, then and ask him how the US has since 1979.

Ask him what countries are not party to the Nuclear treaty. (Help him - North Korea, India, Pakistan and what other country has not signed the treaty. It's leaders have said (in plain everyday English) it would exercise the "Sampson Option" if it does not get its way. Explain what the Sampson Option without telling him what country said it. And the same country has invaded x number of countries since 1979. That's a dangerous country would you not agreed. Now what country would even think about it dad?

Now I'm tired and lost my choo-choo train of thought. If you like my answer I'll add to it tomorrow.

Edit: What better way for the US to know what Iran is doing then by actually helping in the construction.

low preference guy
08-14-2011, 12:32 AM

How can I persuade him?

I would just say that the U.S. often tries to tell Israel what to do and what treaties to accept. Ron Paul will not do that which will allow Israel to attack Iran more freely if they misbehave. Since Israel has much better military and intelligence than Iran, Israel will easily deal with any potential threat.

TheTyke
08-14-2011, 12:38 AM

Ok smart guy, what's the right way?

LadyBastiat
08-14-2011, 01:25 AM

Screw that! Ask your dad why he doesn't give a crap about your future! Lay on the guilt heavy & hard!

"Mom, Dad, if you guys really love me and want me to have a decent sort of life you'd better be voting for Ron Paul!"

(Just kidding... well... kinda... a little bit). ;)

Rudeman
08-14-2011, 01:53 AM
How about asking why they feel a certain way about a position or why they are opposed to Paul as a starting point then go from there. You never want to attack someone's point of view (no matter how much you disagree), you want to guide them towards the light (something Rand is good at, and you see how well it works).

So when it comes to Iran, ask why they think we should fear Iran. If it's Nukes, are they concerned that Iran will use Nukes against Israel? If they are point out how Ron Paul wants to allow Israel to do what is best for Israel instead of having America dictate what they should do (borders with Palestine), and if that means bombing Iran then so be it.

Also point out that Ron Paul wouldn't hesitate when it comes to defending America, using his vote to go after Bin Laden as an example.

IMO if you can get a better understanding of a person's positions then it becomes easier when you try to guide them into the right direction. It may not work with everyone but it's work a shot.

BUSHLIED
08-14-2011, 02:18 AM
It just so happened that about an hour after the straw poll results my friend and I went out to celebrate (what I consider a major accomplishment, I bet there as fraud with a result that close) anyway, a guy was walking down the street with his wife walking his dog very animated and talking loud, like he was pumped up..I over heard him say "private property." I said, "that's right" we need the rule of law in this country..." right to your life, liberty, and private property...etc..that's why Ron Paul is your guy...and to my chagrin, he said, no Bachmann she's my girl...Bachmann....I looked at his wife and said PAUL...then got into a cab...people are talking about this...I don't see her appeal...she is a panderer and a fake...I guess people can't see it. Ron Paul supporters are exceptional people, I am convince of that for sure.

BamaAla
08-14-2011, 02:19 AM
I've sold my mom to Ron Paul as long as Giuliani doesn't enter the race, then she's pulling for him (god help her)

My dad is a former Obama supporter who doesn't really care yet, but is probably leaning towards the good doctor as well.

The rest of my family is all over the place, from brainwashed Liberals to war hawks to Jesse Ventura types. I've got a hard job here.

Oh man; I know how you feel. My mother is a Libertarian, so she was sold on the Doctor from jump street. My (deceased) father wasn't into politics, but he never could understand why we needed a government and despised the idea of it.

My grandmother is a 90 year old southerner, so she thinks anything with an R beside it is the devil. My living aunts/uncles/cousins/nieces/nephews/brothers/sister include bleeding heart liberals, blow 'em up hawks, semi-neoconservatives, storm front regulars, and raging conspiracy theorists. Christmas dinner is a hoot!

Good luck with your dad Aqua. I'm sure it's frustrating that someone you care so deeply about is on the other side, but don't be disparaged.

BUSHLIED
08-14-2011, 02:33 AM
My parents are so sensible, they are both registered independents...who vote on the individual. Both my parents said Ron doesn't have a chance back in 2007. Then I told my dad to watch a debate or something like that AND then he calls me randomly and says "we are getting screwed by the federal reserve." That's it, just straight up got it from watching or reading something on the FED. My mom supported Hilary and my father claims to have voted for Paul. My cousins are all liberals who buy into big government esp. the wars in the middle east YET are atheists. Really odd mix. They voted for Obama.

brenton
08-14-2011, 02:34 AM
my mom/sister/most of my family have jumped on the ron paul bandwagon just because i did and then they started hearing him speak and were very impressed. my sister actually had a ron paul supporter hand her one of the no tax on tips cards at her job(denny's).

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-14-2011, 03:17 AM
My entire family is voting for Ron in the primaries.

tasteless
08-14-2011, 04:27 AM
I just talked to my mom.

Me: "Ron Paul got 2nd place in the Iowa Straw Poll"
Her: "YES!"

HUGE shock for me. This is a woman who voted Bush both times and for McCain. She even mentioned she's "campaigning" for Ron Paul.

Now working on getting my dad to join the "dark side", he's gonna be a bit tougher to win over. Until recently, his reason for dismissing Ron Paul was "Ron Paul can't win." He HATES when I listen Peter Schiff, and always gets mad when the topic of Gold comes up (cause I begged him to buy gold back in '08 and he didn't).