PDA

View Full Version : Cain for VP?

willwash
08-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I have to say I've been impressed with a lot of the things Cain has said in the debates, and the fact that he's a career businessman and not a politician I think makes him less likely to be the type that "plays ball" with establishment goons. It will also make him more palatable to voters.

And, let's face it, Ron Paul is another old white guy. Someone like Cain could really serve to round out the ticket.

I am speaking from virtually zero knowledge of Cain beyond what I've seen in the debates, however, so if someone has good gouge on Cain's record, can you post it here?

Carehn
08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I think he worked for the federal reserve.

Todd
08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
uh...do we have to? There are plenty better. I think there are threads devoted to his record.

trey4sports
08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
really?

ForLibertyFight
08-13-2011, 02:13 PM
no

willwash
08-13-2011, 02:14 PM
It all goes back to my theory that you don't want a clone of yourself as your VP. It should be someone ideologically close, to be sure, but should also help to round out your ticket, geographically, demographically, etc.

Cleaner44
08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
No to VP. On a related note, we should pickup Cain supporters when he drops out as Ron Paul is the only non-establishment candidate. Any followers of Cain can't possible be interested in Perry or Romney. We need to find a way to reach out to them.

bunklocoempire
08-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Don't need him. Don't want him. RP and a pickle on a stick would defeat Obama.

*snippet* Cain's words:
http://004eeb5.netsolhost.com/hc133.htm

Earth to taxpayers! Owning stocks in banks is not nationalization of the banking industry. It’s trying to solve a problem.

The unprecedented financial crisis has caused the Treasury of the United States to take unprecedented measures to help solve the problem of frozen credit and cash flow for U.S. businesses.

Most of us had dreams of what we wanted to be when we grew up as children. Some of us wanted to grow up and become a fireman, a policeman, a doctor, a nurse, a lawyer, a teacher, an actor, an engineer, a writer, a dancer, a chef or any number of other professions.

But some of us wanted to own a bank because that’s where the money is!

Wake up people! Owning a part of the major banks in America is not a bad thing. We could make a profit while solving a problem.

But the mainstream media and the free market purists want you to believe that this is the end of capitalism as we know it. It is not for several reasons that they have conveniently not explained.

First, instead of buying toxic mortgage-related assets of banks as originally proposed, the Treasury has changed tactics and will buy equity positions called preferred stocks, which gives us as taxpayers an ownership stake in their success for a limited period of time.

Preferred stock means we get paid a dividend before any other stockholders get paid a dividend when they make a profit. You got a problem with that?

Second, the purchase agreement between the Treasury and the participating banks has an incentive for the banks to re-purchase the stock back from the Treasury within five years.

If the banks do not re-purchase the stock in five years then we get a bigger dividend until they do re-purchase the stock. That’s a good deal!

Bunkloco

civusamericanus
08-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Don't like the idea, but it might win him Georgia, but I still say no. I'd say Walter B. Jones. I don't think Ron Paul needs a big name, but a level headed person as VP, like Walter B. Jones, would be good for Ron Paul. But obviously, this is simply speculation, I'm sure Ron Paul has it narrowed down to about 10 people, he'd choose.

BamaFanNKy
08-13-2011, 02:19 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhd7kfQNkc1qzxinro1_500.jpg

willwash
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Can anyone elaborate on why Cain is a bad idea with something more than "no"?

moderate libertarian
08-13-2011, 02:27 PM
The guy is an idiot and a war mongering uncle tom.

civusamericanus
08-13-2011, 02:27 PM
I thought the previous poster gave a solid no. JJK, but most of us don't care for his flip flopping and the whole anti-muslim rhetoric, I'm sure Paul wants to vomit when he hears him speak. I don't think it would be good for the good Doctor. I admit, Cain would be benficial in Georgia and maybe the surrounding states, I just don't think it's worth it.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhd7kfQNkc1qzxinro1_500.jpg

pcosmar
08-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh , Hell NO !
Get a friggin' clue about what we are about.

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 02:36 PM
But the mainstream media and the free market purists want you to believe that this is the end of capitalism as we know it.

I am a proud free market purist.

civusamericanus
08-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh , Hell NO !
Haha, I busted out laughing at your response. It might as well be Vice President Sean Hannity or Vice President Rush Limbaugh, we'd get more votes for these two.

Imaginos
08-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Hell no!

Imaginos
08-13-2011, 02:43 PM
And if you want to get more black vote, Dr. Walter E. Williams would be a much better choice.
Still my first choice for VP is either Judge Napolitano or Tom Woods.

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-13-2011, 02:46 PM
He would be on my shortlist.
Its not about having a clone, though they need to be somewhat similar. It would be good to have a VP that is enthusiastic, a minority, credible in a field, and reassures the base while expanding it.

But I am preferring Luis Fortuno.

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
And if you want to get more black vote, Dr. Walter E. Williams would be a much better choice.
Still my first choice for VP is either Judge Napolitano or Tom Woods.

I don't think an economist or historian would be the best choice. A judge would be better, but not ideal.

Ytrebil
08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
He was board chairman of the St. Louis Fed. I don't think any other reason needs to be given. It's insulting that the establishment thought they could sneak him in as an "outsider".

Anti Federalist
08-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Good god man, he was on the board of the very institution that RP wants to eliminate, the very institution that is central to most, if not all of the problems the country faces today.

Oh, yeah, what he said ^^^^

Anti Federalist
08-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh , Hell NO !

And that too.

willwash
08-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Did any of you read my original post or just the title? I made it clear I knew nothing about Cain save what he's said in debates and speeches. Based on what I've seen and what I've seen alone, he seems like a solid short lister for Ron's VP, however, I asked for informed opinions on his record to supplement my knowledge. I appreciate those informed opinions--knowing he chaired a Fed bank certainly changes my opinion--but there's no need to jump down my throat.

And that too.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Did any of you read my original post or just the title? I made it clear I knew nothing about Cain save what he's said in debates and speeches. Based on what I've seen and what I've seen alone, he seems like a solid short lister for Ron's VP, however, I asked for informed opinions on his record to supplement my knowledge. I appreciate those informed opinions--knowing he chaired a Fed bank certainly changes my opinion--but there's no need to jump down my throat.

Yeah, you're right.

I'm in a pissy mood today.

Apologies.

Ytrebil
08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, you're right.

I'm in a pissy mood today.

Apologies.

It will get better in the next hour.

pcosmar
08-13-2011, 03:44 PM

You listened to him? So did I.
What did you hear that would make you think so?

What I heard,,,without knowing his record (I checked later),, He sounded like an idiot with no real plan or idea except what his handlers tell him.

He said a whole lot of nothing.

bunklocoempire
08-13-2011, 03:50 PM

Please refer to post #8.

Please understand, this week/weekend is getting the passions heated. Usually there is a more laid back tone to the place.

The folks here ARE the MOST helpful you will ever find.

Please be patient until after the poll. In the meantime you can go over to the 'opposing candidates' subforums and dig around for Cain info.

Bunkloco

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I like Santorum's policy of killing all of the Iranians before they destroy the universe with their godlike powers!

BamaFanNKy
08-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Here is my choice for VP:
http://sweasel.com/wp-content/themes/weasel/graphics/zombiereaganbrains.jpg

Acala
08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Ron Paul needs a vp that would be just as dangerous to the military industrial complex/banking cartel as Ron Paul will be. Because they don't play nice.