PDA

View Full Version : Help me write "if I were a member of Congress"

UtahApocalypse
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
My local paper is doing a feature editorial called "If I were a member of Congress." I would like to write up a very detailed response. Please help me with this, I am not the best at proper grammar.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/muskegon/index.ssf/2011/08/if_i_were_a_member_of_congress.html

Please keep your comments to 300 words total.

What is the main thing you would do to balance the budget?
How would you handle Social Security and Medicare?
Would you raise taxes?
Write a 10-word headline reflecting your efforts.

Eleventh Star
08-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Here's a start:

"Coming home, cutting the waste, and saving the entitlement programs."

"As a member of Congress, I would focus on real budget cuts and prioritizing in order for the Federal Government to maintain its promises to the American people. The first step is ending America's enormous military commitments overseas. These wars are unpopular and costly, both in blood and treasure. This would not balance the budget itself, but it would be going in the right direction. Aggressive cuts in the Defense Department and Homeland Security would also be in order. They are large, inefficient, and corrupt bureaucracies that do little to protect America, serving only to enrich well-connected corporations and special interests.

Without the burden of paying for a massive national security establishment and never ending wars overseas, there would be a better chance to save Social Security and Medicare. The promises made by the Federal Government with these entitlement programs can only be kept if the US curtails its role as the policeman of the world. Additionally, Americans should be given the opportunity to opt-out of Social Security and Medicare. Those who fear that they will not draw any benefits from such programs should not be forced to keep paying into them.

Lastly, I would be against any and all tax increases. What people need most in times of economic difficulty is money staying in their pocket. Taxes weigh down the middle class and are rarely spent in ways that benefit those who pay them. If anything, taxes should be lowered to give businesses and individuals breathing room to save, invest, and re-start the economy. The recovery will not come from above with stimulus and bailouts, but from the ground up, with savings and investments backed by real money. Government should be promoting this with fewer and lower taxes, reducing the obstacles to entrepreneurs and individuals who want to earn and keep their money. "

It's a little rough around the edges but it covers the questions asked.

UtahApocalypse
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Here's a start:

"Coming home, cutting the waste, and saving the entitlement programs."

"As a member of Congress, I would focus on real budget cuts and prioritizing in order for the Federal Government to maintain its promises to the American people. The first step is ending America's enormous military commitments overseas. These wars are unpopular and costly, both in blood and treasure. This would not balance the budget itself, but it would be going in the right direction. Aggressive cuts in the Defense Department and Homeland Security would also be in order. They are large, inefficient, and corrupt bureaucracies that do little to protect America, serving only to enrich well-connected corporations and special interests.

Without the burden of paying for a massive national security establishment and never ending wars overseas, there would be a better chance to save Social Security and Medicare. The promises made by the Federal Government with these entitlement programs can only be kept if the US curtails its role as the policeman of the world. Additionally, Americans should be given the opportunity to opt-out of Social Security and Medicare. Those who fear that they will not draw any benefits from such programs should not be forced to keep paying into them.

Lastly, I would be against any and all tax increases. What people need most in times of economic difficulty is money staying in their pocket. Taxes weigh down the middle class and are rarely spent in ways that benefit those who pay them. If anything, taxes should be lowered to give businesses and individuals breathing room to save, invest, and re-start the economy. The recovery will not come from above with stimulus and bailouts, but from the ground up, with savings and investments backed by real money. Government should be promoting this with fewer and lower taxes, reducing the obstacles to entrepreneurs and individuals who want to earn and keep their money. "

It's a little rough around the edges but it covers the questions asked.

Wow!! this is a great start. I was planning to draft something this afternoon after some appointments..... this will work out even better. If anyone can give some further adjustments, thoughts, or critiques to this would be great.

UtahApocalypse
08-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Bumb.... would like to have this done by Monday

Koz
08-13-2011, 08:32 AM
If I were a member of Congress, I would:

- Vote to impose term limits on Congress, this was meant to be a nation governed by it's citizens not a nation governed by career politicians. If congress knows they will have to be subject to the same rules they write they would concentrate more on liberty and less on government intervention.

- Eliminate the Congressional Pension Program, if Congress knows they need to save for thier own retirement maybe they wouldn't want to stay there for so long.

- Never vote to increase taxes, every dollar that goes to the government is one dollar not available to create jobs. The people can better decide what to spend thier money on than the government.

This is just a start

sailingaway
08-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Heck, I thought it was going to be a Gilbert & Sullivan parody....

If I were a member of congress I would follow the Constitution, do my best to make sure the people have the fullest information I can about what is going on in government, and fight against centralization of power in the executive and international/federal forums.

UtahApocalypse
08-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Sent the letter in......