PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Debate Aftermath

TroySmith
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
The winners:
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachmann
Herman Cain

Each did well in their own right. RP crushed Santorum, Bachmann I think edged T-paw, and Cain was solid and at least appeared to have a clue on foreign policy. Each received positive responses from the crowd.

The middle:
Romney
Newt

Newt can hang on with a pretty solid debate performance. Romney I see as not really moving up, but clearly not out of it by any stretch.

The losers:
Santorum
Huntsman
T-Paw

Santorum and T-Paw lost their respective battles, badly, against RP and Bachmann. Huntsman openly supporting the debt increase is a death knell.

Thoughts?

squarepusher
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Ron Paul wins in a bloodbath!

hxxp://www.topix.com/issue/fox/gop-debate-aug11

ItsTime
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
agreed!

Now donate donate donate! http://ronpaul2012.com

then if you want post it here!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?307997-Donate-Now!-Ron-Paul-Won-This-Debate!

axiomata
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd switch Newt and Cain.

wannaberocker
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Huntsman is just really bad. Hes kept saying "i am proud of my record" well dude your record looks like the record of a democrat.

Ron Yet again lost support on the iran issue. He is just to stright forward and needs to say what he says a bit more tactfully. Hes to "i dont care what iran does" type in his answers. Also his closing was not that great he was talking about so many things in thsoe 30 seconds. Ron needs to work on developing some talking points that are to the point and he dosnt have to explain them for to long. I mean on economic issues, most of us here understand the economy. So we get what ron is saying. But most americans are absolutly stupid about the economy and when ron starts with the economy talk, they tune out because they dont understand.

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Unbiased view
1-Newt
2-Ron
3-Herman
4-Michele
5-Mitt
6-Jon
7-Rick
8-Tim

COpatriot
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGCyR4gMhc

SovereignMN
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Newt is a great politician (this is NOT a compliment). For him to be sounding like Ron Paul shows that Paul is WINNING!

ItsTime
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Newt is a great politician (this is NOT a compliment). For him to be sounding like Ron Paul shows that Paul is WINNING!

This. Newt sounded great! Because he sounded like Ron Paul did in 1988.

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Huntsman is just really bad. Hes kept saying "i am proud of my record" well dude your record looks like the record of a democrat.

Ron Yet again lost support on the iran issue. He is just to stright forward and needs to say what he says a bit more tactfully. Hes to "i dont care what iran does" type in his answers. Also his closing was not that great he was talking about so many things in thsoe 30 seconds. Ron needs to work on developing some talking points that are to the point and he dosnt have to explain them for to long. I mean on economic issues, most of us here understand the economy. So we get what ron is saying. But most americans are absolutly stupid about the economy and when ron starts with the economy talk, they tune out because they dont understand.

"If we don't like what Iran is doing, then we need to stop telling Israel what they can and can not do. If America just left Israel alone for once, then Israel would probably wipe Iran off the map!"

pcosmar
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
"If we don't like what Iran is doing, then we need to stop telling Israel what they can and can not do. If America just left Israel alone for once, then Israel would probably wipe Iran off the map!"

NOPE, but they are welcome to try, and reap the consequences.

Just leave us out of it.

brushfire
08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGCyR4gMhc

Santorum is full of frothy contradiction...
His stance on federal government and its role (enforcing "morality") is exactly the kind of stance he condemns Iran for - doesnt he realize that?

ronpaulraps
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Now thats the Ron Paul I want to see more of. Its time he start fightin back instead of takin punches like 07

axiomata
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM

True. His post debate interview was also very good. Sounded like a smarmy ex politician version of Paul.

wannaberocker
08-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Was that from today? (i missed bits and pieces of the debate).

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Was that from today? (i missed bits and pieces of the debate).

No, it was a suggestion on how to side-step the haters by asserting proper policy.

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
NOPE, but they are welcome to try, and reap the consequences.

Just leave us out of it.

Maybe maybe not, it's basically irrelevant either way, the point is to demonstrate to the morons who want to see Iran destroyed that their only chance in hell of that ever happening is to elect Ron Paul. ;) because he will stop telling Israel what to do.

Cutlerzzz
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
In some ways, Santorum bothers me more than Obama, not that they are different on the issues. I just feel like every time he speaks, my IQ drops.

pcosmar
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Maybe maybe not, it's basically irrelevant either way, the point is to demonstrate to the morons who want to see Iran destroyed that their only chance in hell of that ever happening is to elect Ron Paul. ;) because he will stop telling Israel what to do.

This is true.
We need a change of policy across the board.

I have been watching Iran since the last elections and the chorus of Bomb,bomb bomb
Iran.
I have looked at their history and their capabilities.
Looking from a tactical position,, it would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

The best for the US is to make amends for the past, and to become a friend and do Honest business with them.
Anything else is just nuts.

wannaberocker
08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
No, it was a suggestion on how to side-step the haters by asserting proper policy.

yeah but again, maybe he should have mentioned that today. The fact is that this country has never been so ripe for Ron Paul. People are tired of the 3 wars and us being the world police. Yet, even then you have to bring people along by assuring them that "hey we will protect our citizens if there is a threat". Ron has to have talking points that help people feel secure , so they will vote for him. The truth sucks and most people dont want to hear it and when Ron is honest about Iran. Most people think hes just weak and just dosnt understand. like i said Americans dont want wars, but they also dont want someone who wont protect them against threats. But that is exactly how most who dont follow politics closely, view him. At the end of the day in order to win the trust of the average folks you cant just say "oh iran is not a threat, your stupid if you think they are". You have to be a salesman and talk like a salesman and say "Iran is currently not a threat to the USA. However, i understand your concern and if Iran does become a threat. I will as the president use the power given to me by the constitution to protect this nation and its citizens from all Threats". Thats all you have to say and put peoples scared little hearts at ease. BUt Ron dosnt do that, he speaks to the libertarian crowed who loves it, while the rest think he donst care or understand.

pcosmar
08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
In some ways, Santorum bothers me more than Obama, not that they are different on the issues. I just feel like every time he speaks, my IQ drops.

Fascist
That is what I see and hear. I hope that people reject him soundly.
The GOP should.

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
yeah but again, maybe he should have mentioned that today. The fact is that this country has never been so ripe for Ron Paul. People are tired of the 3 wars and us being the world police. Yet, even then you have to bring people along by assuring them that "hey we will protect our citizens if there is a threat". Ron has to have talking points that help people feel secure , so they will vote for him. The truth sucks and most people dont want to hear it and when Ron is honest about Iran. Most people think hes just weak and just dosnt understand. like i said Americans dont want wars, but they also dont want someone who wont protect them against threats. But that is exactly how most who dont follow politics closely, view him. At the end of the day in order to win the trust of the average folks you cant just say "oh iran is not a threat, your stupid if you think they are". You have to be a salesman and talk like a salesman and say "Iran is currently not a threat to the USA. However, i understand your concern and if Iran does become a threat. I will as the president use the power given to me by the constitution to protect this nation and its citizens from all Threats". Thats all you have to say and put peoples scared little hearts at ease. BUt Ron dosnt do that, he speaks to the libertarian crowed who loves it, while the rest think he donst care or understand.

Actually, I don't have any kind of concern over Iran whatever. I don't think they are a threat at all. It's just using a different perspective to win votes from people I do not agree with.

doctor jones
08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
any tube of Ron's post debate interview? What did they say on TV who won -- did Frank Luntz have a "Focus Group" I was in the house of the debate -- tension was palpable between Santorum/Paul and Bachmann/Pawlenty (who is done for sure).

lucky_bg
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd switch Newt and Cain.

+1

Standing Liberty
08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Santorum looks like he's got a turd cought sideways. He is nothing more than an enemy of Liberty and goes against anything remotely constitional.

doctor jones
08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I'd switch Newt and Cain. +1

Agree -- Newt came out much better than Cain -- afterall, for over half the debate he used Ron's talking points.

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2011, 10:14 PM
any tube of Ron's post debate interview? What did they say on TV who won -- did Frank Luntz have a "Focus Group" I was in the house of the debate -- tension was palpable between Santorum/Paul and Bachmann/Pawlenty (who is done for sure).

When Sri Lanka invades the US, Bachmann will be in the bathroom.

Cutlerzzz
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Fascist
That is what I see and hear. I hope that people reject him soundly.
The GOP should.

Well, Santorum's poll numbers are awful, so I don't see him winning. Hopefully he stays in the race and gets the Bush republican vote.

KingRobbStark
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM

This

mwkaufman
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I think Pawlenty might've saved a plummeting Bachmann in this debate. I think as many as a few hundred votes are coming her way out of his supporters. Hopefully it doesn't cost Paul the straw poll.

trey4sports
08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Pawlenty might've saved a plummeting Bachmann in this debate. I think as many as a few hundred votes are coming her way out of his supporters. Hopefully it doesn't cost Paul the straw poll.

Agreed. Pawlenty shot himself in the foot and boosted Bachmann at the same time.

TroySmith
08-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Agree -- Newt came out much better than Cain -- afterall, for over half the debate he used Ron's talking points.

I actually think Newt helped RON more than he helped himself. His critique of "gotcha" questions and him on the federal reserve makes it MUCH harder to paint RP as fringe. Newt was able to save his campaign and I suspect he will get rewarded when he throws him support into another candidate.

SimpleName
08-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Now thats the Ron Paul I want to see more of. Its time he start fightin back instead of takin punches like 07

Precisely. He needs to bring the message back to supporting ourselves at home, mentioning our own economics struggles when he starts getting forceful. He cannot talk down to the audience. But I do think the aggressive mentality is good for him. It makes him look like he could be a "stronger leader". They love that nonsense...just like the Germans did when Hitler was rising. Dummies.

JamesButabi
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Hypothetical question as Newt has parroted Ron Paul talking points since the first debtate; If he cant rebound despite a strong debate last night, would it be advantageous or welcomed for Newt to endorse?

UtahApocalypse
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Unbiased view
1-Newt
2-Ron
3-Herman
4-Michele
5-Mitt
6-Jon
7-Rick
8-Tim

Agree with this

KCIndy
08-12-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm not a violent person, really.

But last night I found myself possessed by a weird and overwhelming urge to smack the **** out of Santorum, especially after he made that unbelievable comment that he was "proud" of the "freedom" that the U.S. had given the Iranian people by overthrowing their government in '58 and installing the Shah.

Un-frickin'-believable!

I swear my blood pressure went up 50 points.

Bern
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Posted in another thread:
After the last debate, I changed my signature to read:

I have updated it now to reflect my thoughts after watching the debate last night. I can finally tell Pawlenty and Santorum apart. Santorum is way more scarier.

Pawlenty is imminently forgettable. His attacks on Bachmann were for the most part ineffectual. His debate strategy harping on "the record" instead of principles was a huge mistake IMO. It sounded really dumb.

Bachmann seemed off her game last night. Her promise to right the economy in 90 days was pretty pathetic pandering to the lowest common denominator - the kind of people who believed Obama shit unicorns and rainbows with his "hope and change" campaign. She looked like a robot at times trying not to display any emotion. She isn't a poker player. She shouldn't try to be something she is not.

Romney oozes plastic from his pores. He takes smarmy to unprecedented levels. He is clearly the devil, so there is no point in parsing the words that come out of his mouth.

Santorum really did the best job of asserting himself at the debate and clearly defining what he's all about. Unfortunately for him, he is scarier than John McCain on steriods with rabies. This guy is seriously dangerous to America, the Constitution and world peace.

I just laugh when Herman Cain speaks. I can't take him seriously. He's way out of his league here.

I give Gingrich props. He has obviously adopted an "I don't give a fuck" attitude towards the campaigning theater while adopting Ron Paul's talking points. If Ron had Gingrich's debate skills, this contest would be over in a landslide. Unfortunately for Gingrich, he doesn't have Ron's credibility or integrity when speaking to the same issues.

I wish I could give Ron better props, but honestly, I thought he looked old and tired on the stage last night. He needs to work on keeping his hands on the podium. They were shaking noticably during the debate and I'm sure it likely plays into the fears some people have that Ron is too old for this job. On the good side, he was passionate and serious and held strong during his tussel with Santorum over Iran / foreign policy.

Overall, it seemed like Ron and Newt were the only two who were brave enough to be honest and real on the stage. Everyone else was trying hard to play a part.