PDA

View Full Version : When Foodstamps End in Atlanta, GA - Chaos in the Street! FOX 5

knarf
08-11-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyrDlObFYoY

amy31416
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow. They don't have enough food in their houses for a few days of a delay in the stamps? That's even worse than I thought. Just goes to show how ugly things could get in just a few days if the gov't doesn't keep shelling out.

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
My 6 children gonna go hongry!

Gotta love it.

Lafayette
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Now picture this times 45million Americans

libertybrewcity
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
if you can't afford to feed your kids, don't have that many.

heavenlyboy34
08-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Imagine this multiplied by a few magnitudes (throughout the rest of the states). This is what statism does-it destroys humanity. :(

kah13176
08-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Fuck. I can understand a family of three down on their luck, but I do not feel sorry whatsoever for a family who decides to have 6 children. Why should I pay for that?

Paulatized
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Incredibly scary. Total and complete entitlement mentality.

Sola_Fide
08-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Imagine this multiplied by a few magnitudes (throughout the rest of the states). This is what statism does-it destroys humanity. :(

+1

Carehn
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
The system is producing people not capable of sustaining their own life. Even Dogs can live on the streets without handouts. the humans created by the new deal will not make it in the new world.

FSP-Rebel
08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
"When are yall gonna come thru? When are yall gonna come thru?":rolleyes::(

eduardo89
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
It must have been a racist computer virus that did this.

sevin
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
This is frightening.

When the shit hits the fan, this country is gonna burn.

Seraphim
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
All part of the design :(.

ghengis86
08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
This is frightening.

When the shit hits the fan, this country is gonna burn.

Unfortunately

aGameOfThrones
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM

I have a Right to have kids that other people need to pay for. It's for the children...

Romulus
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
It's horrible really....

reillym
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Please, everyone, don't blame food stamps. Some people actually need them. There are many college students who use them. Single moms, etc. Yes, they are abused, but they also help.

What else can a person do? There are simply NOT any jobs out there for these people. At all. 10% unemployment. People with PHDs have hard time getting jobs.

pcosmar
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Screw the food stamps. (that is only a warning)
Picture this in every city when trucks don't fill store shelves.

John of Des Moines
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Please, everyone, don't blame food stamps. Some people actually need them. There are many college students who use them. Single moms, etc. Yes, they are abused, but they also help.

What else can a person do? There are simply NOT any jobs out there for these people. At all. 10% unemployment. People with PHDs have hard time getting jobs.

Your appeal that college students need them is a loser.

As for the hard times we face one thing I want is people on food stamps do is to grow a vegetable garden or volunteer as the community garden - do something other then watch the Price is Right while eating Bon-Bons.

Aliangel
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
yes its really a complicated thought process, stop spreading your legs to everyone you meet.

DamianTV
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM

+REP

Paying people to have more children than they can provide for without benefits from the Welfare State Rewards and Encourages people to have more children that they can provide for. The ones that really suffer are their kids, as bad decisions can not be fixed with more bad decisions.

---

Edit:

THIS is what starts Revolutions.

It isnt people rising up against Abusive Police, a single victim of the result of bad politics, it is situations exactly like this, where people are made to be completely dependant on the Welfare System, and then abandoning these people by shutting down the system to which they are hopelessly dependant on, that is when you end up with Mobs and Riots.

AZKing
08-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately, even if a person genuinely needs assistance, there's not many places to go other than the government. The govt. got rid of any incentive for community gardens and volunteer kitchens.

Humanae Libertas
08-12-2011, 12:37 AM
I have no remorse for them. I'm not a NeoCon that hates people on food stamps just because they're on food stamps or poor, but for these individuals in the video - I have no remorse. Instead of finding ways to feed their kids, they just stand like idiots waiting for their checks instead of finding a job or ways to get income.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Why in the world is that woman having 6 kids if she can't even support herself?!

Texan4Life
08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
how can anyone feel bad for these type of ppl?

lol I'm hongry. so I'm gonna stand in line and whine. and if I wait and whine long enough food/healthcare will pop out of the magic building.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-12-2011, 01:38 AM
how can anyone feel bad for these type of ppl?

lol I'm hongry. so I'm gonna stand in line and whine. and if I wait and whine long enough food/healthcare will pop out of the magic building.

And they feel so entitled to it. And the sad part is, we are all paying for that scum to feed off of us, when we can barely pay the bills as is! Stand in line at the soup kitchen foo, probably healthier than the doritos they are going to buy with their foodstamps anyway.

DamianTV
08-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Like Doritos are any healthier than Government Cheese.

juleswin
08-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Crap, why is it that so many black people are on these welfare programs. I knew it was Atlanta, and it was covering a welfare program but still I was hoping that I wouldn't see majority of blacks on the screen. But then again, its not very easy resisting a free lunch especially when the leaders in your community are pushing these programs down your throats.

God help us all

nobody's_hero
08-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Uncanny.

Just last week I was talking with my uncle in ATL about civil unrest.

This could have been a lot worse; it could have gone London-style. I think, it will get worse.

When the lady said that her card only had $0.17 cents on it, I thought:

In 1913, you could probably have fed your family for two or three days with seventeen cents.

If these people are stunned or confused now, they're really going to be scratching their heads when the government hands them a $10,000 food stamp card and they can't even buy a pack of chewing gum in the checkout line.

Johncjackson
08-12-2011, 10:01 AM

There is a point in your post, but you aren't making it. The point it, YES- blame the food stamps. Don't blame the people. Figure out how to destroy the system that causes food stamp mentality.

Johncjackson
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM

As for the hard times we face one thing I want is people on food stamps do is to grow a vegetable garden or volunteer as the community garden - do something other then watch the Price is Right while eating Bon-Bons.

There are a couple policy issues that are relevant here. For one, there are many places where growing food is illegal. I imagine food stamp use is probably pretty high in these (urban) areas. Also, zoning policy removes access to purchasing low cost fresh food. If people were allowed to grow food and could purchase what they cant at lower prices, I imagine that could possibly go a long way toward cutting the cost and dependency on government food programs.

UtahApocalypse
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, even if a person genuinely needs assistance, there's not many places to go other than the government. The govt. got rid of any incentive for community gardens and volunteer kitchens.

Government involvement, regulation, and taxes are what killed charity.

ghengis86
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM

thread winner.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Katrina to the power of ∞

This is going to end ugly, the country will burn, the idiots watching and wringing their hands will demand that "government must do something".

That's when Officer Friendly steps in:

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/animations/p/police_swat_team-13231.gif

Only not on the rioters, on you!

Vessol
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Wow that shit is scary. More reasons why it's a good idea to get out of urban area's where the dependent-class is concentrated.

Fredom101
08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Get ready for when this happens throughout the country, the media will spin it as this is what would happen all the time in a libertarian society. :(

DamianTV
08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
A country that can not afford to take care of itself can not take care of itself.

HOLLYWOOD
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Just a couple days ago... never ever count on the government. What they give or promise can be taken away anytime they wish without reason or just a conjure-up excuse. Never give them your money or the power to control in the first place, then they can't create these situations.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110808/POLITICS02/108080356/30-000-college-students-kicked-out-of-food-aid-program-in-Michigan

Last Updated: August 08. 2011 6:22PM
30,000 college students kicked out of food aid program in Michigan

State's new eligibility rules to save $75M; more students got aid than thought

Paul Egan/ Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing — Michigan has removed about 30,000 college students from its food stamp program — close to double the initial estimate — saving about $75 million a year, says Human Services Director Maura Corrigan.
Federal rules don't allow most college students to collect food stamps, but Michigan had created its own rules that made nearly all students eligible, said Brian Rooney, Corrigan's deputy director. As a result, the number of Michigan college students on this form of welfare made the state a national leader. For example, Michigan had 10 times the number of students on food stamps as either Illinois or California, Rooney said.
Cutting off the students is part of what Corrigan says is an effort to change the culture of the state's welfare department and slash tens of millions of dollars of waste, fraud and abuse.
"Maybe (students) could go get a part-time job — that's what I did," said Corrigan, a former justice of the Michigan Supreme Court who attended Detroit's Marygrove College and University of Detroit Mercy School of Law.
"We want to encourage people to be self-sufficient, not to be dependent on the government," she said in an interview with The Detroit News.
But critics say state funding has shrunk and tuition has skyrocketed since Corrigan attended college in the late '60s and early '70s. They cite Michigan's still-battered economy and say the suffering the cuts will create won't be apparent until after cash-strapped students return to campuses this fall.
Corrigan, appointed by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder in January to head the $6.9 billion Department of Human Services, has also ordered administrators to start looking at applicants' assets, not just their income. That move follows an uproar after it was revealed Leroy Fick of Auburn remained eligible for food stamps and continued using them after he won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" in June 2010.
If cutting millionaires off food stamps is a no-brainer, some say cutting off most students is less clear cut.
Kayla Neff, a 19-year-old Spanish and computer science student at Central Michigan University who qualified for food stamps in September, said it's tough to find a job in Michigan, particularly for students with little experience.
Neff said she and her father share about $150 a month in grocery money from the program, which "made all the difference in the world," but her eligibility is now under review.
"Students should be focusing on their education, not whether or not they'll be able to eat dinner or whether they can manage to find a job and balance it on top of their studies," Neff said in a Friday email interview from Mount Pleasant.
CMU was singled out by Corrigan as having publicized students' eligibility for food stamps on the university's website. University spokesman Steven Smith said Friday he wanted to research the issue, but "I am confident no official CMU site would promote this kind of activity."
The number of students taken off food stamps was close to double the estimate of 10,000 to 18,000 before the policy change was implemented in April.
Under the federally funded program, college students generally aren't eligible, Rooney said. But Michigan had created an exception for those participating in a valid employment and training program. Employment training was defined as attending college, he said.
Corrigan said one large Michigan school, which she did not identify, had 3,500 students on the program.
Many see using food stamps while attending school as a scam, and former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick described it in much that way in his new autobiography.
Kilpatrick, who was recently released from state prison after serving time for violating probation and awaits trial on federal corruption charges, revealed he used food stamps when he attended Florida A&M University in the late 1980s and early 1990s. At the time, his mother was a state representative and his father was a top Wayne County official.
"The food stamp game is an old hook-up in neighborhoods from Detroit to Tallahassee," Kilpatrick said in the book. "If you could get them, especially as a struggling college student, then you did."
Though still commonly known as food stamps, the state's Food Assistance Program now uses debit cards called Bridge Cards to provide assistance to eligible recipients.
Even after the recent removal of 30,000 college students from the food stamp program, close to 2 million Michigan residents — one in five — are on the program, Rooney said.
Not all college students have been kicked off food stamps. For instance, single moms who go to school can still be eligible, as can certain students who work at least 20 hours a week.
Still, critics say Corrigan's changes are too sweeping and each student's case should be examined on its merits.
Nate Smith-Tyge, director of the Michigan State University Student Food Bank, said the stereotypical profile of the middle-class freshman getting dropped off at the new dorm room by Mom and Dad no longer applies.
"A more nuanced approach would have been more humane," Smith-Tyge said. "This sort of carte blanche decision is going to adversely affect people who really needed it. At what cost does it eliminate some abuse?"
Corrigan also detailed steps she is taking to make sure big lottery winners can no longer get food stamps.
As part of its arrangement for federal funding, Michigan in 2000 opted to determine eligibility based only on income and not consider assets, partly because the program is easier to administer that way, Rooney said.
Starting Oct. 1, assets will also be considered in determining eligibility for new applicants, he said. The assets of existing food stamp recipients will also be examined as their cases are re-evaluated every six months.
"We're going to take a look at everyone in the system," he said.
pegan@detnews.com
(517) 371-3660

amonasro
08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
College students don't need to be on foodstamps, period. If they're smart enough to be in college, they are smart enough to find a part time job.

Carehn
08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
College students don't need to be on foodstamps, period. If they're smart enough to be in college, they are smart enough to find a part time job.

I think you would be surprised. Odds are they are in college because they are NOT smart enough to find a part time job.

JCLibertarian
08-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Fuck. I can understand a family of three down on their luck, but I do not feel sorry whatsoever for a family who decides to have 6 children. Why should I pay for that?

Don't you care about THE CHILDREN?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGLqKRPRt0

JCLibertarian
08-13-2011, 12:25 AM

But shit, people might actually have to work to get a meal, that's fucking cruel.

tasteless
08-13-2011, 06:36 AM
hongry

best part of the video

nandnor
08-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Damn parasites, scum trying to live off others. ALL WELFARE needs to be eliminated. Now. Right this moment. Eliminate all of it, do it now!

Theocrat
08-13-2011, 08:38 AM

The laws say that a college student can only receive Food Stamps if he lives off campus and works part-time.

Sola_Fide
08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Government involvement, regulation, and taxes are what killed charity.

Yes. Another evil of government. Think how closer we could be as a people if we truly helped each other voluntarily.