PDA

View Full Version : This guy deserves a freaking Cabinet post

aspiringconstitutionalist
11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
This guy deserves a Cabinet post in the Paul administration.

Probably the closest thing to Ron Paul anywhere in Congress.

Rep. Jimmy Duncan (R-TN)

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Jimmy_Duncan.htm

Pretty good on foreign policy. SecState maybe?

Larofeticus
11-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Well he's seems ok on Iraq, but everything else looks like an ordinary republican; i'm looking for constitutionalists.

Nefertiti
11-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Or VP? He does sound pretty good to me on most issues.

CodeMonkey
11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Well he's seems ok on Iraq, but everything else looks like an ordinary republican; i'm looking for constitutionalists.

Seconded.

FunkBuddha
11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Congressman Duncan is my Rep in East Tennessee. I sent him a letter asking him to support Ron Paul and he sent me a letter back stating that he wouldn't. There's a lot of pressure on him to support Fred Thompson since he's a Tennesseean.

He is very committed to limited government. He was one of only 6 House members to vote against the Homegrown Terrorism Prevention bill that just passed.

He's a great Representative, I may not see eye to eye with him on everything, but he certainly listens to his constituents and almost always responds to letters sent to him.

literatim
11-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Congressman Duncan is my Rep in East Tennessee. I sent him a letter asking him to support Ron Paul and he sent me a letter back stating that he wouldn't. There's a lot of pressure on him to support Fred Thompson since he's a Tennesseean.

He is very committed to limited government. He was one of only 6 House members to vote against the Homegrown Terrorism Prevention bill that just passed.

He's a great Representative, I may not see eye to eye with him on everything, but he certainly listens to his constituents and almost always responds to letters sent to him.

Maybe some Tennesseans would like to start a campaign to contact him and politely ask him to endorse Ron Paul.

werdd
11-02-2007, 08:23 AM

Ive seen several house votes where he and ron paul were the only guys to nay something

rodent
11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
This guy deserves a Cabinet post in the Paul administration.

Probably the closest thing to Ron Paul anywhere in Congress.

Rep. Jimmy Duncan (R-TN)

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Jimmy_Duncan.htm

Pretty good on foreign policy. SecState maybe?

Is restricting interstate transport of minors for getting abortions constitutional? That seems tyrannical to me. Freedom should have it such that you should go to a state where you can get an abortion if you need to.

winston_blade
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Is restricting interstate transport of minors for getting abortions constitutional? That seems tyrannical to me. Freedom should have it such that you should go to a state where you can get an abortion if you need to.

Not everyone will be perfect, but I am happy with the way that guy performs overall. He's worthy of keeping his house seat.

ConstitutionGal
11-02-2007, 08:59 AM
He's certainly been complimentary of Dr. Paul:

On the "What People Are Saying" page under the "Learn" heading on RonPaul2008.com:

Ron Paul is one of the most principled and courageous men I have ever known. He believes in our Constitution and votes that way in Congress, even when he sometimes has to stand almost alone. I have the greatest respect and admiration for Ron Paul, and I believe this nation would be a much better place if we had more people like him in public office throughout our land.

Congressman John Duncan
R-Tennessee

goRPaul
11-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Jimmy Duncan is a member of the Republican Liberty Caucus and goes to the weekly luncheons. He's pretty good, but one guy I really like is Jeff Flake (R-AZ). He has almost as many no votes as RP, and is just as critical about Republicans overspending and taking liberties away.

skiingff
11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
(Far Extreme Right, Staunchly Believes Abortion Should be a Federal Issue)

* Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Jul 2006)
* Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
* Voted YES on protecting the Pledge of Allegiance. (Sep 2004)
* Voted YES on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)
* Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)
* Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)
* Rated 7% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)

# Voted NO on maintaining right of habeus corpus in Death Penalty Appeals. (Mar 1996)
# Voted YES on making federal death penalty appeals harder. (Feb 1995)
# Voted NO on replacing death penalty with life imprisonment. (Apr 1994)
# More prisons, more enforcement, effective death penalty. (Sep 1994)

Voted NO on allowing Courts to decide on "God" in Pledge of Allegiance.
Supports a Constitutional Amendment for school prayer.

Voted YES on deauthorizing "critical habitat" for endangered species. (Sep 2005)
Reduce liability for hazardous waste cleanup. (May 2001)
Voted YES on implementing Bush-Cheney national energy policy. (Nov 2003)

Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)

# Voted YES on requiring photo ID for voting in federal elections. (Sep 2006)
# Voted YES on restricting independent grassroots political committees. (Apr 2006)
# Voted YES on banning soft money donations to national political parties. (Jul 2001)
# Voted YES on banning soft money and issue ads. (Sep 1999)

Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Voted YES on banning Internet gambling by credit card. (Jun 2003)

-----------

This guy clearly does not stand for what Ron Paul stands for.

No thanks.