PDA

View Full Version : Straw poll mixes food, fair and politics

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 10:06 PM
http://qctimes.com/news/local/government-and-politics/article_8c0e52e8-c3ca-11e0-9ec6-001cc4c002e0.html

Huckabee will jam with bands at the tents of Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and Georgia businessman Herman Cain....

Aside from an omnipresent Huckabee, Cain will feature Iowa bands Kat Daddy 55 and One Way Quartet. Pawlenty is bringing local favorites The Nadas and SONICFLOOd, a Christian worship band from Tennessee.

Santorum will have a “Santorum Summer Dance Party,” with The Crickets, Buddy Holly’s backing band and the son of Jiles Perry Richardson, also known as the Big Bopper.

At Michele Bachmann’s tent, well-known country star Randy Travis will be joined by country musicians Richie McDonald and Tim Rushlow and Christian music artist Charles Billingsley.

Music isn’t the only distraction. Bachmann will have an air-conditioned tent with barbeque, drinks and Paws and Effect, a nonprofit group that trains service dogs for combat veterans.

Cain will have Godfather’s Pizza, of which he was once the CEO. Santorum is bring home-canned peach jam made from peach trees back home. Pawlenty is bringing barbeque from Famous Dave’s and Dairy Queen Blizzards for dessert.

The only campaign without a lot of flashy entertainment will be Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who will have a low-key band and an area for political discourse. Speakers include Barry Goldwater Jr., said Drew Ivers, Paul’s Iowa director.

“We think it’s a political event, so it should have a political atmosphere,” Ivers said.

Read more: http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/government-and-politics/article_8c0e52e8-c3ca-11e0-9ec6-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1UgpzFpTZ

Well, a political atmosphere, giant inflated slides and dunk tanks....:p

pauliticalfan
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Um, what?? Which one is it? I heard they were having dunk tanks and inflatable slides in another article, but here it sounds like they won't have any of that. Any idea?

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm betting on the slides and dunk tanks, but no, I have only read the same articles you have.

pauliticalfan
08-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I hope the have that at the very least. Don't see why you would spend 31k on a spot and be outspent on entertainment/food.

Fetou
08-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I think it is quite possible that they have areas for the kids with the mentioned "festivities" that are not fully meant to be an attraction to the people he is trying to reach.

svobody
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm sure they will have an area set up for the kids. But hey, this is a serious election. We are in it deep, people have major concerns. This ain't 2000, or even 2008. I think it's wise to take a more issues / politics oriented approach, especially since the media loves beating the drum that "Ron Paul is Not a Serious Candidate". Let them go play that tune outside the Bachmann's Randy Travis concert / petting zoo extravaganza...

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 10:35 PM
It is a good tactic. None of the other candidates know what they are talking about so they can only speak in sound bites. After having actual conversations with Ron, people are going to start noticing that....