PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Ames speaking lineup

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
The speaking lineup for the candidates at Ames isn’t dumb luck – the contenders get to choose their spot in the order based on how much they paid for their straw-poll real estate, with the highest bidder getting the ultimate choice of where he is in the order. This year, that’s Ron Paul, and the fact that he chose to go second – after Rick Santorum and before Tim Pawlenty – has Iowans scratching their heads.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61049.html#ixzz1Uf2d66t4

Yeah, they aren't the only ones! :p

muzzled dogg
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
why?

hellsingfan
08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe it has to do with weather? People might want to leave early and get it over with if its bad :) But still. I would think speaking near the end would be the most effective. Maybe they have some data on, 'when' are there the most people or something. Well whatever it is, I hope he does well.

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Romney spoke first, and people wouldn't leave before that.

Whatever, maybe he figures the others are settled but still fresh....

I can see why you don't want to go last if people can vote from the time they get there, you would want to have an impact before they all voted

bluesc
08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if the two 25 minute time slots were predetermined, but the two highest bidders (Paul and McCotter) are the two with those time slots. Could be why Ron is speaking 2nd?

wgadget
08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I know what it is:

By speaking second, you can make sure your audience is all assembled, and not late for the show. If you were to speak first, that might not be the case. If you were to speak last, there might not even BE an audience. Also, by speaking second, a lot of those Ron Paul faithful might just pack up and leave after he's done, making the others look sparse.

tsai3904
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
This is the speaking schedule (each candidate only gets 15 minutes of stage time):

Noon- Program Begins
12:15- Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn delivers remarks
12:20- Governor Terry Branstad delivers remarks
12:30- Chairman Strawn welcomes all candidates on stage (press shot)
12:40- Senator Rick Santorum delivers remarks
1:00- Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds delivers remarks
1:15- Congressman Ron Paul delivers remarks
1:40- Congressman Steve King delivers remarks
1:50- Governor Tim Pawlenty delivers remarks
2:10- Senator Chuck Grassley delivers remarks
2:20- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann delivers remarks
2:40- Congressman Tom Latham delivers remarks
2:50- Congressman Thaddeus McCotter delivers remarks
3:15- Herman Cain delivers remarks

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
This is the speaking schedule (each candidate only gets 15 minutes of stage time):

Noon- Program Begins
12:15- Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn delivers remarks
12:20- Governor Terry Branstad delivers remarks
12:30- Chairman Strawn welcomes all candidates on stage (press shot)
12:40- Senator Rick Santorum delivers remarks
1:00- Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds delivers remarks
1:15- Congressman Ron Paul delivers remarks
1:40- Congressman Steve King delivers remarks
1:50- Governor Tim Pawlenty delivers remarks
2:10- Senator Chuck Grassley delivers remarks
2:20- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann delivers remarks
2:40- Congressman Tom Latham delivers remarks
2:50- Congressman Thaddeus McCotter delivers remarks
3:15- Herman Cain delivers remarks

I love how the muckimucks who can pick where they go tend to go right before Ron. To get the crowd. The same thing happened at CPAC etc.

Chieppa1
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd makes perfect sense.

RP Supporter
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
2nd makes perfect sense.

I agree. I was a bit confused at first as well, but it's a good spot. Especially since the first spot is being given to Santorum. Not like he'll give a good speech that energizes everyone to vote for him. But Paul can then speak afterwards and I think it will be a good contrast in messages.

Plus, if we have the loudest cheering, hopefully that will stick with any undecided attendants and convince them Paul should be their guy. ;)

sailingaway
08-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree. I was a bit confused at first as well, but it's a good spot. Especially since the first spot is being given to Santorum. Not like he'll give a good speech that energizes everyone to vote for him. But Paul can then speak afterwards and I think it will be a good contrast in messages.

Plus, if we have the loudest cheering, hopefully that will stick with any undecided attendants and convince them Paul should be their guy. ;)

But not chanting!