PDA

View Full Version : [ABSURD] Billed by Medicare 1.5 years after medical services performed

amy31416
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Okay, so many of you know that my mother died as the result of a complication from a mastectomy 1.5 years ago.

Since then, the bills have been paid, taxes have been paid, the attorney has been paid and the estate completely settled. Not to mention that I'm almost positive these specific things have already been paid, but now I'll have to dig through boxes of paperwork.

I got a "Medicare Summary Notice" today that states that my now deceased mother may be billed a couple thousand dollars....1.5 years later.

WTF? Should I simply ignore them if they bill her or address it?

Kotin
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Well as a disclaimer, I would say I'm not sure I should ever be listened to but.... Ignore it !!!! Nom nom nom

pcosmar
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Billed to you or her?
If billed to her, either ignore or send it back to them marked "Deceased".

If billed to you, fight it.

amy31416
08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Billed to you or her?
If billed to her, either ignore or send it back to them marked "Deceased".

If billed to you, fight it.

Billed to her...I'm assuming that since the estate is closed, they can't go that route either.

Another funny thing is that I got a notice to renew her nursing license, which is issued by the same state that issued her death certificate.

pcosmar
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Billed to her...I'm assuming that since the estate is closed, they can't go that route either.

Another funny thing is that I got a notice to renew her nursing license, which is issued by the same state that issued her death certificate.

Government efficiency.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I would personally ignore it. Assuming her estate has been liquidated and nothing was held in limbo by a probate court they have nothing they could seize or have a lien placed against. So I would just have it returned to sender with "deceased" written on it in big red letters.

amy31416
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I would personally ignore it. Assuming her estate has been liquidated and nothing was held in limbo by a probate court they have nothing they could seize or have a lien placed against. So I would just have it returned to sender with "deceased" written on it in big red letters.

Yeah...but part of me wants them to be painfully aware of how inept they are. I'm almost positive it was paid anyways.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah...but part of me wants them to be painfully aware of how inept they are. I'm almost positive it was paid anyways.

Perhaps you could send them a bill for your time spent having to write "deceased" on the envelope and send it back to them? I would bill them $500,000 for clerical duties performed.

oyarde
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Okay, so many of you know that my mother died as the result of a complication from a mastectomy 1.5 years ago.

Since then, the bills have been paid, taxes have been paid, the attorney has been paid and the estate completely settled. Not to mention that I'm almost positive these specific things have already been paid, but now I'll have to dig through boxes of paperwork.

I got a "Medicare Summary Notice" today that states that my now deceased mother may be billed a couple thousand dollars....1.5 years later.

Pitch it in the trash Amy .

angelatc
08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Yep. Ignore it. They've only got a limited amount of time to submit bills to the estate, and that's long passed.

I wouldn't send it back to them with a nasty note - I'd write a letter to the editor sneering about the government.

dannno
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Perhaps you could send them a bill for your time spent having to write "deceased" on the envelope and send it back to them? I would bill them $500,000 for clerical duties performed.

Send an invoice to the government.. For something you actually did so it's not fraud.. They'd probably pay it, too... BRILLIANT!!

amy31416
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Yep. Ignore it. They've only got a limited amount of time to submit bills to the estate, and that's long passed.

I wouldn't send it back to them with a nasty note - I'd write a letter to the editor sneering about the government.

Probably the best suggestion. If I acknowledge it, there's probably some bizarre debt collection law that would make me liable. And it's a good vehicle to write a critique of the waste in the system via a letter to the editor.