PDA

View Full Version : Obama considers becoming a National Land lord.

Agorism
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOVERNMENT_HOME_RENTALS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-08-10-13-18-31

Taking Fannie Freddie losses and turning them into government rentals.

The plan is to get that junk off the market so housing markets come back and people can sell for normal prices again...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration may turn thousands of government-owned foreclosures into rental properties to help boost falling home prices.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency said Wednesday it is seeking input from investors on how to rent roughly 250,000 homes owned by government-controlled mortgage companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the Federal Housing Administration. All of the homes are foreclosures.

The U.S. government rescued the two mortgage giants in September 2008 and has funded them since the financial crisis. Fannie and Freddie own or guarantee about half of the nation's mortgages and nearly all new mortgages.

Converting the homes into rentals may reduce "credit losses and help stabilize neighborhoods and home values," said Edward DeMarco, acting director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, which oversees Fannie and Freddie.

Homes in foreclosure sell at a 20 percent discount on average, which can hurt prices of surrounding homes.

It also might meet the growing demand for rentals. Since the housing meltdown, nearly 3 million households have become renters. At least 3 million more are expected by 2015, according to census data analyzed by Harvard's Joint Center for Housing Studies and The Associated Press.

A federal "request for information" released Wednesday included an option for previous homeowners to rent out the homes or for current renters to lease to own. Private investors could also be allowed to oversee the conversions. Officials are also mulling whether to implement a program in metro areas hit hardest by foreclosures and in those with high demand for rental housing.

The homes include single-family homes and condominiums. The deadline for responses is Sept. 15.

mconder
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
WTF? Are we living in Stalinist Russia or what? They aren't happy with owning most of the Western United States? Probably complete with snitch on your neighbor programs. Oh ya, they already have those.

specsaregood
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
The plan is to get that junk off the market so housing markets come back and people can sell for normal prices again...

Uhm, the prices they are selling at are the market telling you that those are the "normal prices". I think you mean to say "overinflated prices" again.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Does this honestly surprise anyone??? I could wake up tomorrow to headlines saying gun confiscation was underway and it would not surprise me at all.

Schifference
08-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Say goodbye to your nice urban neighborhood. Wait until they decide to let section 8 people live in those houses for free.

KingRobbStark
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
The next thing is going to be long gates around every city. Divide and conquer.

Steve-in-NY
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Actually, thats kind of interesting. If the market is calling for rentals, and no one is buying then why not rent? I have to look into this further but it seems like it makes fiscal sense at least. Id be against using it for section 8 housing, but they could also auction them off - even if they only get pennies on the dollar its an option if they want to wash their hands of the whole affair.

specsaregood
08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Actually, thats kind of interesting. If the market is calling for rentals, and no one is buying then why not rent? I have to look into this further but it seems like it makes fiscal sense at least. Id be against using it for section 8 housing, but they could also auction them off - even if they only get pennies on the dollar its an option if they want to wash their hands of the whole affair.

Well I'm of the opinion that they should auction them off. But I suppose they would rather have people renting than owning.

Vessol
08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
What else do you call property taxes?

specsaregood
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
What else do you call property taxes?

Thats another question.....if the federal government rents them out, will the Fed pay property taxes on them?

Steve-in-NY
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Thats another question.....if the federal government rents them out, will the Fed pay property taxes on them?

No, the renters would. Id think you'd bundle it just like a mortgage. Short answer, yes the Fed would cut the check but the money would come from the renter.. or they could roll the tax into an escrow.

Of course, that makes sense I think. Havent given it much thought really, but it seems like it could be a do-able thing.

specsaregood
08-10-2011, 03:32 PM
No, the renters would. Id think you'd bundle it just like a mortgage. Short answer, yes the Fed would cut the check but the money would come from the renter.. or they could roll the tax into an escrow.

Of course, that makes sense I think. Havent given it much thought really, but it seems like it could be a do-able thing.

I dunno, I sorta recall reading that the federal government does not pay states property taxes on federal land.

Aratus
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
even so, even if the OP is thread number two on this all
the basic idea sounds almost FDR era and very new deal.