PDA

View Full Version : Stossel works Ron Paul into his O'Reilly Factor segment

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-09-2011, 06:31 PM
O'Reilly was saying the Tea Party needs a couple of "point men" to articulate their message, and suggested Stossel as the guy. Stossel said he was doing that with his show, and then said Ron Paul.

Of course, O'Reilly looked like he just sucked on a lemon. :D Bill said he liked Ron Paul "as a guy", but "do I want him as a president?"...to which he pursed his lips and made a slight headshake. Stossel replied "Yes you do! Yes we can!" :D

willwash
08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
YouTube!

MRoCkEd
08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Gotta give Stossel credit for trying.

matt0611
08-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice, Stossel is great.

God I can't stand Bill O'Reilly.

revrsethecurse04
08-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Would love to see this clip

trey4sports
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Judging by the sound of it, O'Reilly could have been a lot harsher.

TheDriver
08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Nice, Stossel is great.

God I can't stand Bill O'Reilly.

qft

Brett85
08-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I saw it live. I'm 100% sure that O'Reilly would actually endorse Obama for President if Ron were the Republican nominee. It would be interesting to see what Hannity and Limbaugh would do if Ron was the Republican nominee.

truthdivides
08-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I'd love to see this tube.

lucky_bg
08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I saw it live. I'm 100% sure that O'Reilly would actually endorse Obama for President if Ron were the Republican nominee. It would be interesting to see what Hannity and Limbaugh would do if Ron was the Republican nominee.

You wanted to say what they will do when Ron is nominated... ;-)

Carehn
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Tube!!!!

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
The reason I like this is O'Reilly has been the anti-Tea Party guy lately, criticizing them for not cutting a deal during the debt ceiling debate. He even went so far as to call them "extremists", and really pissed off some viewers. I think a bunch of people canceled their premium memberships on his site and I saw a few angry YT videos ranting against him. There were quite a few angry tweets too.

So, if O'Reilly is seen as not liking Ron Paul, that may just give him a few new looks from those who like the Tea Party and are still tuning in.

kahless
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM

If it was not for O'Reilly being "pro-life" I would be 100% sure also but not sure if he would compromise his values in that area. Otherwise Obama, the Democrat party and RINO Republicans fit with his beliefs perfectly.

I absolutely hate the MSM for continuing for years now to portray O'Reilly as a Conservative Republican. I suppose this is all part of the plan, to have someone they label as a Conservative that touts their beliefs so it is acceptable to what would normally be the opposition.

josh b
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Tube!!!!

Seconded. I want to see this.

jct74
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
go to 4:05
http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/1101511689001/whos-to-blame-for-bad-economy/?playlist_id=86923

thehungarian
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

I have wondered this myself. They both give the usual lip service of "any Republican in the field is better than Obama!" and Levin says he'd vote for a tin can over Obama, but I have serious doubts about what each of them would do and how they would explain it to their audience. I had no doubts that they would all pull the lever for McCain, but I do have doubts if they would vote for the Dr.

TRIGRHAPPY
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I have wondered this myself. They both give the usual lip service of "any Republican in the field is better than Obama!" and Levin says he'd vote for a tin can over Obama, but I have serious doubts about what each of them would do and how they would explain it to their audience. I had no doubts that they would all pull the lever for McCain, but I do have doubts if they would vote for the Dr.

I believe you'd see their true colors smacking conservatives in the face. Even big government liberals can preach about reducing spending and abiding by the constitution......but when someone might become president who will actually do it, they have to attack. They can't actually let that person win. Hence, you'll see the true colors.

TheDriver
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/1101511689001/whos-to-blame-for-bad-economy/?playlist_id=86923

Stossel!

truthdivides
08-09-2011, 08:02 PM

+ rep

wannaberocker
08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
i saw that stossel was pretty funny with the "Yes you do, Yes we can" bit.

heavenlyboy34
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I lol'ed too :D

lucky_bg
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
"Yes you do! Yes we can!" Omg, I love this guy... After latest pools, Stossel clearly decided he doesn't have to take any more shit about RP...

NewRightLibertarian
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Hannity and Limbaugh would support Ron Paul. O'Reilly likes Obama, I think.

Steve-in-NY
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
made my night. thank you.

headhawg7
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I am happy to mention again...he is a good advocate for the libertarian cause. His in studio audiences are also fairly young. This is good. I think the youth is turning away from obama and more and more to people like Ron Paul.

LibertAtOnce
08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I love the part where Stossel blames every president and congress since FDR, especially GWB and Obama, and then O'reilly goes onto to say Bush had a good excuse in 9/11.

dannno
08-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Wow, if you watch the opening segment they ask people on the street who is to blame for the economic problems and this one black guy gives the best answer imo and really nails it on the head:

Wallstreet. Cause they put Obama in office.

:D

Carehn
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuSoWL_nVoo
Tube is Tube not fox link.

dannno
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh man, Stossel kinda choked on the defense spending question, but the plug for RP at the end was pretty cool :)

Carehn
08-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh man, Stossel kinda choked on the defense spending question, but the plug for RP at the end was pretty cool :)

stossel is intimidated by oreilly. I would be as well. the man eats babys.

dannno
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Needed to say something like "Well Bill, we know that the primary motivation for terrorists is our military presence in the Middle East, we had been bombing Iraq every year for 10 years before 9/11. Expanding our empire even further isn't the best way to get rid of terrorists, it is the best way to bankrupt us, and that's what we're doing."

NewRightLibertarian
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM

He's not the best debater. His specials are incredible though.

angelatc
08-09-2011, 09:26 PM
It's on right this second.

ETA: That wasn't as bad as I expected!

brushfire
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
He's not the best debater. His specials are incredible though.

I've seen Stossel hold his own pretty well. I think that ol man oreilly might have some pull at fox. I've seen Stossel be quite critical of oreilly in the past, but he probably knows where his bread comes from. Same with the Judge... They seem to have have their bounds.

bunklocoempire
08-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Bah, just get yerself ...a body armored dog from Ohio?

Baby eater will run the other way.

At 2:57

I must've missed THAT memo. WT:collins:?

alternet.org

The Department of Homeland Security, as part of its Urban Area Security Initiative, granted Columbus, Ohio $7,348 to purchase eleven bulletproof vests for their dogs.

It never gets weird enough. Idiots.

Bunkloco

Tinnuhana
08-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Actually, it takes $10,000 at least to buy and train/maintain a bomb or explosives sniffing dog. So a vest is a good investment. The question is really: who pays for it?
On a side topic (media), this evening I was listening to Howie Carr (WRKO Boston radio) and he interviewed Mark Stein, a Canadian who sits in for Limbaugh sometimes. He came pretty close to endorsing Ron Paul, but would not name a candidate. He DID however say, in effect, that ROmney would not be his choice ("stuck in the last decade"). He said he wanted a president who'd stand up first day in office and name names of departments he'd eliminate. He also pretty much said it was someone already declared, which leaves Perry out.

sofia
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
It would be interesting to see what Hannity and Limbaugh would do if Ron was the Republican nominee.

They would handle it the same way some "conservatives" handled Goldwater's candidacy in 1964....give it lukewarm support but with no passion behind it..

But that wont happene cuz if Ron got the GOP nod (which he will not)....the Establishment would put up a 3rd Party "conservative" to split the vote. Rush and Hannity would then back the Teo-Con candidate.

Crickett
08-09-2011, 11:47 PM
BUT the BEST part was when O'Rielly said.."(sigh) alright."

Agorism
08-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Stossel seems so fakey to me.

purplechoe
08-10-2011, 12:47 AM
he interviewed Mark Stein, a Canadian who sits in for Limbaugh sometimes.

I believe Stein is from UK...

economics102
08-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Stossel seems so fakey to me.

He does come off that way, kind of detached from what he's saying, as if he's just arguing for the intellectual entertainment of it. I think it's because the TV personality he's spent his career cultivating is kind of a "devil's advocate" speaking style and he doesn't know how to turn it off when he's just engaged in a straight-up on-air conversation like in this video. But that aside Stossel is one of the most effective people in the liberty movement at getting ideas across and there's really no one else who approaches it the way he does. A devil's advocate style of education is really well-suited to the ideas of liberty because they are so counter-intuitive to most Americans. (i.e. why would eliminating minimum wage laws help the poor?)

Stossel has been a tremendous ally for the liberty movement. I think it's a huge asset to us that the most entertaining show (in my opinion, as objective as I can be ) on FOX happens to be one that persuasively argues the unvarnished philosophy of liberty.

Justinfrom1776
08-10-2011, 01:15 AM
I think Stossel has a great comedic inflection in his voice.. Who knows? Maybe it's the stache!

king_nothing_
08-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Stossel is great, and I give him props for bringing up Ron, but I wish he would have done it in a more assertive manner. He seems like he's almost too intimidated to talk about Ron in O'Reilly's presence. When O'Reilly scoffed at the idea of Ron as the tea party leader or the President, he should have responded in a serious, assertive way instead of with a light-hearted "yes we can". Don't let that miscreant off that easy.

No Free Beer
08-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Saw this live. I was waiting for Stossel, but then I remembered that Stossel is a bit weak. I told myself, "come on Stossel...yes you do, yes we can!" and he did it!

kahless
08-10-2011, 07:50 AM
He does come off that way, kind of detached from what he's saying, as if he's just arguing for the intellectual entertainment of it. I think it's because the TV personality he's spent his career cultivating is kind of a "devil's advocate" speaking style and he doesn't know how to turn it off when he's just engaged in a straight-up on-air conversation like in this video. But that aside Stossel is one of the most effective people in the liberty movement at getting ideas across and there's really no one else who approaches it the way he does. A devil's advocate style of education is really well-suited to the ideas of liberty because they are so counter-intuitive to most Americans. (i.e. why would eliminating minimum wage laws help the poor?)

Stossel has been a tremendous ally for the liberty movement. I think it's a huge asset to us that the most entertaining show (in my opinion, as objective as I can be ) on FOX happens to be one that persuasively argues the unvarnished philosophy of liberty.

+1

I remember him saying he was terrified of public speaking so maybe there is a little of that to going on when he debates especially when it comes to someone like O'Reilly.

brushfire
08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

+1

I remember him saying he was terrified of public speaking so maybe there is a little of that to going on when he debates especially when it comes to someone like O'Reilly.

Stossel has a very bad stutter. He has had the problem all his life, but has gone to great lengths to correct it. I believe its something he's has to actively correct, leading to many of the mannerisms and speaking technique that actually makes him unique/enjoyable to watch. He's an impressive human being, and I believe him to be a very competent debater.

belian78
08-10-2011, 08:07 AM
But that wont happen cuz if Ron got the GOP nod (which he will not)...

WOW, I'm sure glad you dusted off that crystal ball. You saved me 6 months of work trying to turn out the primary vote for Dr Paul. Wtf, seriously...

NewRightLibertarian
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I've seen Stossel hold his own pretty well. I think that ol man oreilly might have some pull at fox. I've seen Stossel be quite critical of oreilly in the past, but he probably knows where his bread comes from. Same with the Judge... They seem to have have their bounds.

They're respectful to O'Reilly because they are probably happy to be able to come onto his show to get the libertarian message out to millions of people, and O'Reilly is pretty respectful outside of the occasional dick comment every now and then.

Article V
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Stossel is terrific. His response tossed in a plug for Ron Paul (a great boon for us!) while dismissing O'Reilly's bias as unwarranted and wrong-headed (another boon!).

To anyone who would criticize Stossel for this short segment, let's remember:
the segment had nothing to do with Ron Paul or the GOP race
the segment was headed to break at the time of the Ron Paul plug

Stossel purposely plugged Ron Paul at the very end, so that O'Reilly couldn't respond with a huge attack. The segment was over, it was time to go to commercial. The producer's voice is in both their ears telling them to wrap it up and counting down the seconds till the show faces a hard break.

Stossel used his knowledge of television to plug Ron Paul while avoiding an O'Reilly attack. Brilliant work, Stossel!

puppetmaster
08-10-2011, 10:24 AM
bill is puke but I think he has moved our direction a bit....a year or so ago he would have said "I don't want him as a president"...now he says "do I want him?".....lol
he is an ass

georgiaboy
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
This is really really great. We're just mainstreaming it everywhere, Ron Paul's name showing up all over the place, building momentum, detractors softening around the edges.

some really good vibes.

Lomez
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
You have to know when to pick your fights. Would have been pointless for Stossel to start up a huge Ron Paul debate with 10 seconds left in the segment. Pretty sure I've seen youtube videos of Stossel going head to head with Bill, I believe over drug legalization.

brushfire
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
They're respectful to O'Reilly because they are probably happy to be able to come onto his show to get the libertarian message out to millions of people, and O'Reilly is pretty respectful outside of the occasional dick comment every now and then.

You're probably right... I looked past that since the last show I watched when oreilly was when he had Stewart Rhodes on, and was playing into "mush mouth" theory that the Oathkeepers were militia, and a danger to society. That and the fact that oreilly is ok with the government disarming citizens. Its hard for me to have any respect for oreilly after that.

economics102
08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Stossel is also great at making libertarian ideas seem perfectly sane, reasonable, and not-extreme. Of course, libertarian ideas are all those things, but to regular folk it's hard to convey that.

Remember Stossel's defense of opposing the Civil Rights Act right after the Maddow-Rand Paul interview?

Ball
08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Ugh, what a smarmy a-hole (O'Reilley, not Stossel)

Brett85
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
There's been a lot of talk of Ron on O'Reilly's show today as well. O'Reilly is basically still bashing him as usual, but Dick Morris actually gave him a compliment and Dennis Miller even said that Ron could become President.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Dennis Miller even said that Ron could become President.Did he? I missed that part because I got pissed off after the Dick Morris segment and turned the sound off. Dick Morris was actually starting to comment about Ron Paul at Ames, and O'Reilly cut him off and said he and Herman Cain didn't have a chance of winning the nomination. :mad: