PDA

View Full Version : August 11 Debate Participants Revealed

tsai3904
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/08/09/eight-gop-candidates-on-final-lineup-for-thursdays-debate-in-iowa/

Participants:

Michele Bachmann
Herman Cain
Newt Gingrich
Jon Huntsman
Ron Paul
Tim Pawlenty
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum

Looks like Gary Johnson is shut out again. Thad McCotter paid $15k for a tent and is shut out too.

MRoCkEd
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
So, same as the last CNN debate with Jon Huntsman added.

Sucks that Gary is shut out. Run for Senate...?

ItsTime
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Time for Gary to run for Senate. I have $100 for his first money bomb.

TheDriver
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
How come Rick Santorum stays in? Isn't he polling at about 1%?

trey4sports
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
So, same as the last CNN debate with Jon Huntsman added.

Sucks that Gary is shut out. Run for Senate...?

He is of the impression he can't win the Senate seat. I don't think he wants to run for Senate either.

emr1028
08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd have liked to see McCotter or Fred Karger have a chance to debate, but I guess this group will do. Hunstman is going to underwhelm his low expectations for the debate, so we should be able to say goodbye to him, along with Santorum and Cain, pretty soon.

Jingles
08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Why do they always have to exclude Gary Johnson (well I kind of know why, but yeah)? Let the man at least have a shot at getting some name recognition. No one really knows who Jon Huntsman is either, but he gets touted as being amazing by the media.

I liked in the first debate how him and Ron could kind of tag team the questions in a way. Its always nice to have someone on stage who believe what you believe (on principle) and will subtly help you out. Hell, who actually knew who Tim Pawlenty was before this either (its not like he is interesting either. I feel like I'm going to fall asleep listening to him. Tim Pawlen-ZZZZZZZZ)?

willwash
08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
No Rick Perry. Rest easy, gentlemen.

MarcNY
08-09-2011, 10:04 PM
No Rick Perry. Rest easy, gentlemen.

Agreed.

LibertyEagle
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Why is Mitt Romney listed?

Oh, I guess he's participating in the debate, but not the Straw Poll.

Tinnuhana
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I met Fred karger in NH. There were two tables for the candidates and he was next to us. He was handing out his blue frisbees and very congenial. At one point he came over and told dus about how when he was considering running, he went to see Ron at the office in DC and Ron spent time talking about running for POTUS and giving suggestions. Fred really appreciated that.

falconplayer11
08-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Jon Huntsman. He will gain from this debate. He is a superb orator.

But look at that list...it's huge! This is very good for Ron, whose core support is VERY loyal. The more, the better...split the neocon vote.

falconplayer11
08-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Gary Johnson's exclusion from this debate is good for Ron Paul. I wish Gary would run for Senate.

Nathan Hale
08-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Gary Johnson's exclusion from this debate is good for Ron Paul. I wish Gary would run for Senate.

I disagree. Gary was a second voice on crucial issues that legitimized Paul's positions on them. Using the first debate as an example, having Gary on stage really helped "mainstream" RP. That said, it is time for Gary to drop. I've always supported the "Ames Accord", and it's Ames time and Gary is effectively being shut out by the media. Hopefully he runs for Senate.

Nathan Hale
08-10-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm upset that Gary is being shut out. When I first devised the "Ames Accord", where the two liberty campaigns put their heads together before Ames to decide which candidate would drop, I thought it would be perfect for the weaker candidate to use his closing remarks in the final debate before the straw poll to drop and endorse the other liberty candidate. Alas, Gary is being denied access to the debates. I'm not sure he would have done that, but it would have been nice to see. Oh well.

Let's get Gary in the Senate in 2012 and RP in the white house! Go Ames!

musicmax
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM

No on the first; yes on the second.

GJ served longer as governor than either Huntsman or Romney, and has a more pure conservative record as well (no Romneycare or Obama stimulus skeletons in his closet).

This debate should have added Johnson and McCotter and dropped Huntsman and maybe Santorum.

TroySmith
08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I like GJ, but he bombed something awful in the South Carolina debate. He would be much better placed in the Senate or as a cabinet type member.

Romulus
08-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I like GJ, but he bombed something awful in the South Carolina debate. He would be much better placed in the Senate or as a cabinet type member.

That's what I'm saying.. to me, he's not the best spokesman for the Liberty message.

So, do we have a seating order yet? Is Ron in the middle again? I am hoping so.

PaleoForPaul
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Gary Johnson's exclusion from this debate is good for Ron Paul.

No, it is not.

Johnson's being on stage with similar views as Paul legitimizes those views and makes Paul look less like an outsider. In the short run Gary is good for Ron Paul on stage, and in the long run he's good for convincing more Republicans to vote for libertarian leaning candidates.