PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Franc Surges, dollar falls: The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 dollars In Zurich

Agorism
08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/price-big-mac-now-1719-zurich

The price of a Big Mac is now $17.19 in Zurich

Just a quick thought on a ridiculously volatile day:

One of the things that people pick up on very quickly as they travel are how different price levels are around the world. I've been to roughly 100 countries, and I still find it amazing how much variance there is among things like food, property, and entertainment prices.

There are certain places-- Cambodia, Ecuador, Tanzania-- that are so jaw-droppingly cheap that it almost seems unreal. And you wonder how these people could possibly ever survive if they came to your country.

Well, the United States has just joined this proud cadre banana republics... at least if you're from Switzerland.

You see, the Swiss franc is one of the few currencies that have given investors some sense of comfort recently; Switzerland inspires confidence and stability, and the worse things get in the United States and Europe, the more investors pull their money out of the dollar and euro, and park it in the Swiss franc.

It's all about supply and demand. Increased demand for the Swiss franc coupled with expanded supply of dollars and euros has caused the franc to surge over the last weeks and months. It wasn't too long ago that it would take 1.20 francs to buy a US dollar. Now it takes $1.40 to buy a single franc.

I can think of a lot of words to describe the performance of the US dollar. Farce. Joke. Lunacy. Embarrassment. Disgusting. But it's more clearly summed up like this: the price of a Big Mac is in Zurich is now so high (at $17.19) that a minimum wage employee in Minneapolis, Minnesota, would have to work for nearly 4-hours in order to afford it.

This is what stability looks like to Ben Bernanke.

libertybrewcity
08-09-2011, 05:46 PM
la da da da daa,,, i'm lovin it.

oh. wait. i'm watching the value of the dollar sink right before my eyes. nvmd.

dannno
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Peter Schiff has been bullish on the Franc for a looong time.

headhawg7
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Peter Schiff has been bullish on the Franc for a looong time.

Just about everytime he is on the air he mentions it. He did just the other day on fast money as well. He shut the other panelists up quickly.

eduardo89
08-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I HATE going to Mcdonalds in Switzerland! Its so damn expensive. At least gas is cheaper than in Germany.

oyarde
08-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I HATE going to Mcdonalds in Switzerland! Its so damn expensive. At least gas is cheaper than in Germany.

Screw big macs , in Germany , get the spiesbraten or jagerschnitzel !!!! So excellent !

eduardo89
08-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Screw big macs , in Germany , get the spiesbraten or jagerschnitzel !!!! So excellent !

i loooove jaegerschnitzel, but i prefer kasseler with knoedle and sauerkraut

specsaregood
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
la da da da daa,,, i'm lovin it.
oh. wait. i'm watching the value of the dollar sink right before my eyes. nvmd.

And yet, people push the "a weak dollar is good for us" meme. Such bullshit.

oyarde
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
i loooove jaegerschnitzel, but i prefer kasseler with knoedle and sauerkraut

I just ate breakfast and started getting hungry again just thinking about that stuff .

eduardo89
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I just ate breakfast and started getting hungry again just thinking about that stuff .

i havent eaten all day and my mouth is watering. i need to find a german restaurant, but i don't i'll find one here in mexico city

oyarde
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
i havent eaten all day and my mouth is watering. i need to find a german restaurant, but i don't i'll find one here in mexico city

Could be tuff in Mexico City , still , I would ask around , in the 1800's there were some German immigrants that went to Mexico and started a brewery , if someone started a family diner , Mexico City would have been the place to do that .

eduardo89
08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Could be tuff in Mexico City , still , I would ask around , in the 1800's there were some German immigrants that went to Mexico and started a brewery , if someone started a family diner , Mexico City would have been the place to do that .

Yeah there's a decent sized German community in Mexico, the German school is big here too. Haven't seen any restaurants though... I'll ask around once I get out from work. I'm craving it now lol

oyarde
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah there's a decent sized German community in Mexico, the German school is big here too. Haven't seen any restaurants though... I'll ask around once I get out from work. I'm craving it now lol

Yeah , I would ask around , suprisingly , there may be one .

oyarde
08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I have to leave the state this weekend and will be working until then , no real time to cook anything that takes long , but weekend after this , I am going to have to get in kitchen and make some jagerschnitzel .