PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul moments that stick in the head - "Let me see if I get this right"

febo
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
My number 1 is always the "Let me see if I get this right" outburst at that 08 debate.

I think he should have one of these for every topic:

"Let me see if I get this right - we raise the debt ceiling because we've borrowed too much money, we spend it bombing Libya whose banks we bailed out a couple of years ago during our own financial crisis...
ferchissakes WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?"

PastaRocket848
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
that was definitely my favorite single RP debate moment. it made me feel weird hearing a politician make sense.

sadam
08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
This campaign its got to be his response to Chris Wallace's question regarding drugs.

febo
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I also liked "Immediately"

Darin
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I always like that one. I wasn't really in to Paul at that point, so I was just watching him as simply one of the other candidates up there.

I was watching the guy ask the question and I was like... what a jerk... what kind of question is that? Then I heard Paul's response and I was like... wow... that guy just got destroyed. Total backfire. To hear people in the audience cheer him on, I knew they must've had similar thoughts. Really cool.

I don't have a "Let me see if I get this right" right now, haha. I'll think about it.

- Darin

nobody's_hero
08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
This campaign its got to be his response to Chris Wallace's question regarding drugs.

Yeah, that, IMO, is the most awesome Ron Paul debate moment so far. People started cheering, I think, because the War on Drugs had never been presented to them as Big Brother coming to "protect" you from yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7Zp41fByE

I don't think I've ever seen Dr. Paul so fired up and relaxed (enough to humor) at the same time.

kah13176
08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
We should take our marching orders from the Constitution.

PeacePlan
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvE2_WrpI0

jcarcinogen
08-09-2011, 05:09 PM
"Just come home. We just marched in, we should just come home." -Ron Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-DIpkJRDYY

AggieforPaul
08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
"Absolutely! All this talk about asking attorneys is just crazy to me! Why dont we just open up the Constitution and read it!!"

bb_dg
08-09-2011, 05:23 PM
The first Ron Paul video I ever saw and got me hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7dnFDdwu0

KramerDSP
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
This answer gets overlooked, but IMHO, it's the greatest answer Ron Paul has ever given. When I saw this a few weeks ago, I understood him that much more. What I mean by that is when I first heard his answer live, it registered but not quite on the grand scale that it registers today after everything has happened.

"It's always the poor people that suffer the most" and "When you live beyond your means, you will live beneath your means (paraphrased)" are the Home Run moments. If he gave this answer in Iowa Thursday night, he's the winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0O0MbrVjE&cc=1

wgadget
08-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I love all of these that have been mentioned, but I have indelible memories of watching him from backstage before a speaking engagement, praying in the stairwell. I wish I could find the video, but I don't remember what the speaking event was.

Pro-Life Libertarian
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acDTsgq7ZMQ

This drove me to learn more about Paul

KramerDSP
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Off the top of my head, the following debate moments were memorable/legendary during the 2007-2008 run.

- "Just come home. We just marched in, we can just march home"
- Blowback and Rudy Giuliani
- The surge back-and-forth with Huckabee (we're just saving face!)
- McCain equating him to a Neville Chamberlain with a Hitler reference, and Ron's subsequent "What?" look (found in LibertyEagle's avatar gif)
- RP admonishing Romney by saying "Why don't we just open up the Constitution and read it?!?"
- RP mocking McCain and Romney at the Reagan Library debate about "silly little arguments"
- "No! I take my marching orders from the Constitution!"
- "When you live beyond your means, you are destined to live beneath your means"
- IRS Question - "Immediately, and you can only do that if we change our idea on the role of government...."
- The answer to whether he is electable and the phenomenal "Let me see if I get this right..." line at the end of that response.

(EDITED TO ADD - And I forgot two more, added on to the bottom thanks to comments from various posters above)

Man! Ron was really the rock star of the GOP debates last year, wasn't he? This year, I can only really think of two memorable moments so far.

- The Heroin Question. One of the most awesome answers ever, and a very unexpected crowd reaction, causing Chris Wallace to exclaim that Ron Paul had just gotten South Carolina to cheer heroin.
- "I'm the Commander In Chief" to Romney, totally emasculating him.

Do you think Ron's team will encourage him to play it safe or come out swinging from the get go Thursday?

civusamericanus
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Off the top of my head, the following debate moments were memorable/legendary during the 2007-2008 run.

- "Just come home. We just marched in, we can just march home"
- Blowback and Rudy Giuliani
- The surge back-and-forth with Huckabee (we're just saving face!)
- McCain equating him to a Neville Chamberlain with a Hitler reference, and Ron's subsequent "What?" look (found in LibertyEagle's avatar gif)
- RP admonishing Romney by saying "Why don't we just open up the Constitution and read it?!?"
- RP mocking McCain and Romney at the Reagan Library debate about "silly little arguments"
- "No! I take my marching orders from the Constitution!"
- "When you live beyond your means, you are destined to live beneath your means"
- IRS Question - "Immediately, and you can only do that if we change our idea on the role of government...."
- The answer to whether he is electable and the phenomenal "Let me see if I get this right..." line at the end of that response.

(EDITED TO ADD - And I forgot quite a few, added on to the bottom thanks to comments from various posters above)
Man! Ron was really the rock star of the GOP debates last year, wasn't he?

This year, I can only really think of two memorable moments so far.

- The Heroin Question. One of the most awesome answers ever, and a very unexpected crowd reaction, causing Chris Wallace to exclaim that Ron Paul had just gotten South Carolina to cheer heroin.
- "I'm the Commander In Chief" to Romney, totally emasculating him.

Do you think Ron's team will encourage him to play it safe or come out swinging from the get go Thursday?
Ron Paul's gonna come out swinging! I hope he brings a bat out on stage. Then sets it next to his podium...

http://www.anunews.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/aa-Ron-Paul-holding-baseball-bat.jpg

TRIGRHAPPY
08-09-2011, 08:08 PM

He's got to come out swinging, and he has to do it in highlight-reel friendly one liners. A few suggestions:

Against Bachman: "I would advise against pinning my hopes on someone to reduce the size of government who voted for the Patriot Act".

Against Romney: "There is one person on this stage who has no credibility in criticizing Obamacare, and I won't name names, but he wrote Romneycare".

Against Perry: "Perry is either the only person on earth to support both Al Gore and the Tea Party, or a fraud".

emr1028
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Against Romney: "There is one person on this stage who has no credibility in criticizing Obamacare, and I won't name names, but he wrote Romneycare".

If he said this I would be ecstatic.

Shane Harris
08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm the commander-in-chief! I tell the generals what to do!

TRIGRHAPPY
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
If he said this I would be ecstatic.

That would get OVERWHELMING media attention for days, and would be played over and over on every channel. Romney's campaign would take a serious hit, and Paul's would explode. Sadly...... RP never really attacks anyone that directly during debates. He has to start if he wants to win though.

SovereignMN
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
For me it the Guiliani blowback exchange. I had only heard bits of Ron Paul up until that point and went away thinking, "THAT IS MY GUY!"

It was either after that debate or one after when the debate was on Fox and Hannity had all the candidates on afterwards. Hannity greated everyone with smiles and addressed them by title (i.e. "Mr. Mayor" to Rudy, "Senator" to McCain, "Governor" to Romney and Huck) Paul was the last one and he didn't smile and only only addressed him as "Ron"...no "Representative Paul", no "Dr. Paul", just "Ron". It was a subtle media trick to discredit someone in a way that people won't pick up on it, only I did and I never had an ounce of respect for Hannity after that.

Romulus
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm the commander-in-chief! I tell the generals what to do!

THAT's the one I liked. Assertive.

bunklocoempire
08-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Television wise,

Guiliani blowback exchange for me too. I had seen Paul only twice before on the the Daily and Colbert show -in those short interviews he had me sold on it, the guy made sense and I had never heard a candidate talk like that (not lie).

I tuned into the debate and actually caught myself in a knee jerk response when Guiliani spun Paul's response -my knee jerk response was actually AGAINST Paul- BUT, I caught it that time, ran through their exchange again and I realized that it was a knee jerk reaction, reason won out.:)

A real creepy red pill/blue pill self realization. Oh how I pity those still asleep.

I slapped on my tri-cornered tin foil hat and never looked back -liberty convert for life.

A liberty gadfly for anyone around me, I used to just be annoying for no good reason....

:D

Bunkloco

LibertyEsq
08-09-2011, 09:26 PM
"Keep makin' fun, buddy..." wasn't exactly a poignant policy statement or anything, but it always gets me PUMPED to fight for Paul that much harder to see Mitt cry when his "aura of inevitability" gets shattered when Paul blows him out in New Hampshire.

LibertyEagle
08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I liked when in the first debate, '07, he was asked about a national ID card and he said NO, that is opposite of everything a free society is all about. etc. I loved then watching the other candidates who had all hailed it, come from behind their podiums and try to take back what they said. It was a golden moment.

civusamericanus
08-09-2011, 09:39 PM
"Keep makin' fun, buddy..." wasn't exactly a poignant policy statement or anything, but it always gets me PUMPED to fight for Paul that much harder to see Mitt cry when his "aura of inevitability" gets shattered when Paul blows him out in New Hampshire.
That was one of my favorite exchanges (Ron Paul said "Keep makin' fun, buddy" so softly, if you didn't replay the video, you might not have heard it. Class act even when he fights back!), you could see it in Romney's face, how uncomfortable it made him feel to get called down by Ron Paul. Paul is far more aggressive then Romney, face to face. I even think Romney knows deep down, that Ron Paul is right, so he's probably insecure about attacking Ron Paul.

afwjam
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM

tube?

LibertyEsq
08-09-2011, 10:10 PM
tube?

I'm having trouble finding it on youtube but I know it shows up near the end of the "For Liberty" documentary

LibertyEsq
08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcIkoOwp7s

1:36:40-1:36:50 , I'll keep trying to find a short clip of it

Standing Liberty
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I think the "Let me see if I get this right" debate was the one that awakened me. Not just how Ron Paul explained it, but the empty looks on all the other candidates. I also remember in one of the debates in 07' or 08' him saying we are heading into a recession and they all laughed at him.
It would be nice if these so called "debates" were really debates and not beauty pageant with agenda driven hosts.

KingRobbStark
08-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Everything that Paul said sticks in the head. True story.