PDA

View Full Version : If we had total Income Equality could there still be a Powerful Elite like in Animal Farm

aid632007
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
If we had total Income Equality could there still be a Powerful Elite like in Animal Farm would the State or the Government and or the Politicians be this Elite ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite

Agorism
08-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't have a problem with an "elite" in private industry but I do when they are part of government or influencing government.

Guitarzan
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
What is "total income equality" and how would/could that come about?

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
In order to have 'total income equality' you would need a massive police / military force to create this 'income equality'. Whoever is in charge of this police force / military force basically rules over everyone else. You think these people are going to have the same income as Joe Schmoe 3000 miles away? No. The political, military, and intelligentsia elite will be far far above everyone else, and you will have no other option than to accept it. It's total slavery. We all ready saw how it played out -- it was called the USSR.

dannno
08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
If I live in a remote un-populated mountainous area, and there is worldwide income equality, can I demand everybody else transports free food and supplies to my house? Or do I have to live in a city to be equal? Who has the power to make that decision? What will prevent them from deciding that they get paid more than everyone else? Don't you think those in power will want some of the nicer things in life?

Guitarzan
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Yes, the very question the OP asks has the answer within it.

The concept of income equality itself suggests that there must be some sort of "elite" entity in order to divy up the loot to everyone. And of course, this "elite" would never believe that some pigs are more equal than other pigs, would they?

VoluntaryAmerican
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
If we had total Income Equality could there still be a Powerful Elite like in Animal Farm would the State or the Government and or the Politicians be this Elite ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite

Supposing some magical force made income equal for everyone-- which is impossible!

There would still be inequality in power positions in Government. Because as Orwell showed us, there are people with different levels of intelligence, willingness, and time to devote to gaining power.

Remember as some of the animals forgot their constitutional rights, but some (pigs among them) remembered them all and realized they were losing their rights.

Even if everyone had an equal income--there would be individuals or groups that would attempt to harness the power. And they would do this throughout the generations--they would be the elite.

StilesBC
08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
What is "total income equality" and how would/could that come about?

This.

The question assumes the successful implementation of communism, so naturally any answer will be just as fantastic. What are we going to do? Force productive people to work less, and less productive people to work more - so their incomes are equal?

Will there always be an elite? I guess that depends on your definition of "elite". For some "the elite" are completely self-sufficient on small farms on remote islands. For others it's driving a Benz and wearing a Rolex.

When arguing with leftists, as I'm assuming you are given the question, be careful not to fall into the Polylogism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylogism) they use to define their pet "class struggle" BS. It's the same logic racists and anti-semites use to drum up hatred.

Agorism
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Also you won't be allowed to save or invest bc that makes you rich. No saving for retirement either.

Tarzan
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Is this an academic question? Are you kidding or just exploring... or, writing a book report?

This crap has been tried before and has NEVER worked. Take a look throughout history... not one example of this bullshit every working. People will be people... achieving and succeeding are in our nature. If that is at the expense of other then that is what will happen. Certain individuals will be anything to be the top dog. In old English kingdoms (sometimes the size of a small town) the people lived in an absolute shit pile. But, some jerk (and his cronies), wanted to be the top dogs... even if they were top dogs of a shit pile. Human nature has not changed... it is natural and has been with us since the beginning of time... it is still with us.

Look at the benefits the elite enjoyed in the USSR... today's China... today's Cuba. Do you think Michael Moore was right and there's health care equality for the elite and non-elite? Wrong!

Even on smaller scale attempts (communes, religious communities) there is NEVER full equality and certainly not income equality. Some very noble efforts have been made with a wonderfully naive view of people and what we could be... these have all turned out to prove this Utopian crap doesn't work. Well, we aren't this "higher beings" these philosophies pretend... and it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Give it another 10,000 years or so, than we'll talk.

and, geez... wikipedia? use an authoritative source.