PDA

View Full Version : OH - Unarmed student tasered to death

Anti Federalist
08-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I love how the article notes "cause of death not determined".

Nah, 50,000 volts applied to the chest cavity and immediate cardiac arrest had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Student dies after police use Taser at University of Cincinnati

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110806/NEWS01/110806012/Student-dies-after-police-use-Taser-at-University-of-Cincinnati-?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

A North College Hill High School graduate attending college preparatory classes at the University of Cincinnati died Saturday after a campus police officer used a Taser on him.

Everette Howard went into cardiac arrest while being attended to by medics. He was rushed to University Hospital, where he could not be resuscitated.

Howard was planning to attend the University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg, Ky., according to his Facebook profile.

He graduated this spring in the top 10 percent of his class, according to Enquirer archives, and was an accomplished wrestler in high school.

Officers rushed to Turner Hall at about 3 a.m. after receiving a 911 call about an assault. The dormitory is located on Jefferson Avenue near the intersection with West University Avenue.

As officers were trying to figure out what happened, Howard approached them outside the hall.

He appeared agitated, angry and had balled fists, UC Assistant Police Chief Jeff Corcoran said.

Officers ordered Howard to stop approaching them more than once, but he refused, Corcoran said.

Howard was stunned by one cycle of the Taser and subdued.

Following protocol, the officer checked his condition.

Corcoran said Howard had a good pulse and was breathing, but officers said he appeared incoherent and seemed to have an "altered mental status."

The fire department and paramedics were called to examine Howard.

Two investigations have been launched because of the incident.

An internal investigation will look into the use of force by the officer, who was immediately placed on mandatory administrative leave.

Corcoran said the department has suspended the use of Tasers until it can determine what caused the teen's death.

The 56-officer department uses Tasers five or six times a year, Corcoran said.

An autopsy has been ordered.

"I want to emphasize we don't know what the cause of the death is at this point," Corcoran said.

The second investigation is trying to determine what initiated the original 911 call and whether an assault has taken place.

There have been no arrests or criminal charges filed.

"We are extremely unhappy and upset at the outcome of this call," Corcoran said. "No one wants to see the death of an 18-year-old. It was not anyone's intention. The officer is very distraught."

In Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, two people have died after being shocked by a stun gun, according to Enquirer archives.

Leroy Hughes, 52, died after being shocked by a Taser and struggling with Covington police officers in December 2008 at Highland and Jefferson avenues.

Hughes, who was 6 feet and 6 inches tall and weighed more than 400 pounds, was carrying a concealed weapon and threw a box of bullets at officers during the struggle.

Douglas Boucher, 39, died after he fell and struck his head after being shocked by a Taser outside a gas station in December 2009 in Mason.

Both men had a history of mental illnesses.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Following protocol,

Don't buy these two bits of info.

Anti Federalist
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Don't buy these two bits of info.

The "following protocol" bit I can see, as this is becoming a common occurrence.

Anything short of immediate, complete, total and absolute compliance with whatever the cop on scene says, will subject you to "forced compliance" up to and including lethal force.

Many times even total compliance is not enough, if the cops just get worked up into a pulverizing mood.

http://reason.com/assets/mc/mriggs/2011_08/ThomasKelly.jpg

AGRP
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Werent tasers supposed to be used as an alternative to lethal force? I watch cop shows and I see them being used on people who pose no danger and are simply running away.

V3n
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Update

Family of UC student who died after Taser incident receives $2M in settlement

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/Family-of-UC-student-who-died-after-Taser-incident-receives-2M-in-settlement

CINCINNATI - The family of a University of Cincinnati student who died after a Taser was used on him during an incident with campus police was awarded $2 million by the school as part of a settlement.

Everette Howard, Jr., 18, died on Aug. 6, 2011, after a University of Cincinnati police officer fired a Taser at him. The officer, Richard Haas, had said the youth failed to obey a direct order, which led to the use of the Taser.

The Howard family filed a lawsuit last summer against UC and Haas.

After Howard's death, campus police withdrew their use of Tasers as part of their service. The settlement provides that the UC Police Department must notify the public and the Howard family before they resume their use. Officers will also receive suggestions on Taser use based on research conducted by experts in collaboration with the Howard family.

A memorial bench and plaque will also be installed at the site where Howard died. The current president of UC, Santa Ono, issued a statement to the Howard family expressing the "deepest regrets" on the loss of their son.

As the last part of the settlement, the Howards were awarded $2 million by UC who will give a free undergraduate education for Howard's two siblings.

“Everette’s death was unjustified and unnecessary. Through this case the family is helping reform Taser use throughout the region. Hopefully their investigation and advocacy for their son will prevent more Taser deaths," said attorney Al Gerhadstein.

Howard graduated from North College Hill High School and was enrolled in UC's Upward Bound program which gives recent graduates a chance to earn college credit.

9 On Your Side contacted UC spokesperson Greg Hand who said, "There remains a great deal of sadness on campus in the wake of Everette Howard's death. With regard to the settlement, the university believes that the settlement reached with the family was amicable."

Howard’s parents spoke exclusively with 9 On Your Side Wednesday after the announcement of the settlement. Travonna and Everette Howard Sr. said any new development is like reliving the experience all over again.

“No amount of money or none of this could replace him, you know. I want him back,” said Everette Sr.

When asked how they thought Everette Jr. would feel about the settlement, both Travonna and Everette Sr. said he would be happy to know that his siblings would have an education, since it was something he valued and always put first.

“We’re doing a scholarship in his memory and we’re doing things and activities to encourage young kids to go to school and I know that’s what he would definitely want,” said Travonna.

The staff at North College Hill High School and family and friends have remained supportive throughout the ordeal, said the Howards.

"It's sad that people see the number and not everything else, all the good that we achieved with this and through this," said Travonna.

The Howards say they will continue to fight for improved Taser policies and testing of Tasers for their electrical output, which they say is too inconsistent.

“It’s bittersweet. It’s good for it to be finally over, but we still are fighting for Taser reform. We want that to be in effect,” said Everette Sr.

To review complete details of the settlement visit http://www.gbfirm.com/ .

phill4paul
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
If there can be any "Justice" in a situation like this I'm glad they received this settlement. Though it may not replace their son it may force other colleges to look at their policies and prevent future deaths.

PaulConventionWV
01-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Nah, 50,000 volts applied to the chest cavity and immediate cardiac arrest had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Student dies after police use Taser at University of Cincinnati

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110806/NEWS01/110806012/Student-dies-after-police-use-Taser-at-University-of-Cincinnati-?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

A North College Hill High School graduate attending college preparatory classes at the University of Cincinnati died Saturday after a campus police officer used a Taser on him.

Everette Howard went into cardiac arrest while being attended to by medics. He was rushed to University Hospital, where he could not be resuscitated.

Howard was planning to attend the University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg, Ky., according to his Facebook profile.

He graduated this spring in the top 10 percent of his class, according to Enquirer archives, and was an accomplished wrestler in high school.

Officers rushed to Turner Hall at about 3 a.m. after receiving a 911 call about an assault. The dormitory is located on Jefferson Avenue near the intersection with West University Avenue.

As officers were trying to figure out what happened, Howard approached them outside the hall.

He appeared agitated, angry and had balled fists, UC Assistant Police Chief Jeff Corcoran said.

Officers ordered Howard to stop approaching them more than once, but he refused, Corcoran said.

Following protocol, the officer checked his condition.

Corcoran said Howard had a good pulse and was breathing, but officers said he appeared incoherent and seemed to have an "altered mental status."

The fire department and paramedics were called to examine Howard.

Two investigations have been launched because of the incident.

An internal investigation will look into the use of force by the officer, who was immediately placed on mandatory administrative leave.

Corcoran said the department has suspended the use of Tasers until it can determine what caused the teen's death.

The 56-officer department uses Tasers five or six times a year, Corcoran said.

An autopsy has been ordered.

"I want to emphasize we don't know what the cause of the death is at this point," Corcoran said.

The second investigation is trying to determine what initiated the original 911 call and whether an assault has taken place.

There have been no arrests or criminal charges filed.

"We are extremely unhappy and upset at the outcome of this call," Corcoran said. "No one wants to see the death of an 18-year-old. It was not anyone's intention. The officer is very distraught."

In Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, two people have died after being shocked by a stun gun, according to Enquirer archives.

Leroy Hughes, 52, died after being shocked by a Taser and struggling with Covington police officers in December 2008 at Highland and Jefferson avenues.

Hughes, who was 6 feet and 6 inches tall and weighed more than 400 pounds, was carrying a concealed weapon and threw a box of bullets at officers during the struggle.

Douglas Boucher, 39, died after he fell and struck his head after being shocked by a Taser outside a gas station in December 2009 in Mason.

Both men had a history of mental illnesses.

That is one big dude. How did he get killed by a taser?

pcosmar
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
That is one big dude. How did he get killed by a taser?

Electrocution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocution

electrocute

1: to execute (a criminal) by electricity
2: to kill by electric shock

Dark_Horse_Rider
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

AF , that would be jumping to conclusions . . . let's just wait till all the information comes out and the officer is cleared. . . then will have a better idea of what happened.

AFPVet
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Weren't tasers supposed to be used as an alternative to lethal force? I watch cop shows and I see them being used on people who pose no danger and are simply running away.

Yes. Tasers are not to be used as a restraining/compliance device. Tasers are simply less lethal than shooting them in the chest with a 230gr slug. Personally, I never carried a taser... I did just fine with pepper and my expandable baton. They just keep cranking up watts on these things too.

AGRP
01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes. Tasers are not to be used as a restraining/compliance device. Tasers are simply less lethal than shooting them in the chest with a 230gr slug. Personally, I never carried a taser... I did just fine with pepper and my expandable baton. They just keep cranking up watts on these things too.

And for that reason I would be for the use of tasers. It just seems like those who have been trusted with them find it necessary to use them on people like 100 lb teenage girls who are running away from them so they stop them by causing lethal brain trauma.