PDA

View Full Version : Another Straw Poll Landslide

Suzu
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Just back from the Springfield, Missouri Republican Straw Poll. My first ever political event. What a trip.... The two young guys running the meeting were very pro-war and had pro-war videos to show us, and pro-war veterans as special guest speakers. There were 100+ people voting, 85 of whom chose Ron Paul.

Huckabee got 11 votes, Romney got 6, Thompson got 2, Giuliani got 0, they left McCain off the ballot, someone wrote in a local guy who isn't even running, Duncan Hunter got 1, and one heretofore unknown (pro-war) candidate, Richard Michael Smith from Arlington, Texas, actually showed up and he got 4 votes (including his own and his wife's).

The emcee seemed rather disappointed with the results.

One older man at the Romney table was the founder of the local Republican club. He spent about 10 minutes giving me the most unbelievable spiel I have ever heard, about how FOX News is the only station where you can hear the truth. I encouraged him to see the film Outfoxed, but I don't think he will do it.

The Springfield News-Leader sent a reporter who spoke with one of the meetup members for a long time about RP. There will be coverage in the morning edition of that paper.

JoshLowry
11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Great news! Thanks for the report Suzu. :)

Corydoras
11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds kind of trippy, with them trying to persuade people at the last minute and utterly failing.

Good going, thanks for sharing the good news.

freelance
11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
There were 100+ people voting, 85 of whom chose Ron Paul.

I've got a question. Was there a large meetup group presence or were there some party regulars there? I'm wondering how many of these votes at straw polls these days are from John Q. Public.

This must have been SOOOOOOOOO embarrassing for the local PTB! :p

GREAT JOB!

hellah10
11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
those damn spammers! hahahaha

CJLauderdale4
11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
That's too bad...

Did 85 RP supporters actually sit on their hands and bite their lips through hours of war propaganda just to vote at this straw poll???

Suzu
11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
It seemed to me like everyone who showed up is either a regular member of this club or an activist for one of the candidates, or both. Some I recognized from previous meetup events. Some came from small towns within an hour's drive of the city.

lynnf
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Just back from the Springfield, Missouri Republican Straw Poll. My first ever political event. What a trip.... The two young guys running the meeting were very pro-war and had pro-war videos to show us, and pro-war veterans as special guest speakers. There were 100+ people voting, 85 of whom chose Ron Paul.

The emcee seemed rather disappointed with the results.

wish I could have seen the look on his face!

the pro-war part reminds me of the Texas Straw Poll, pretty much the same thing, only Duncan Hunter came away with that one- a bitter pill to swallow. good to hear of a reversal of that in your area.

lynn

Suzu
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
That's too bad...

Did 85 RP supporters actually sit on their hands and bite their lips through hours of war propaganda just to vote at this straw poll???

It didn't go on for hours. The voting happened from 6-7 PM then RM Smith gave a short talk, then the vets spoke about 5 minutes each, and Jim Palmisano spoke for a minute or so, and supporters of other candidates were given a chance to speak for one minute each. Only a few speakers for the candidates - one for Mitt, one for Huck, one other I forget who, then two or three short videos, then they announced the results. It was all over by 8:30.

kherty
11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your update. I like reading news about experiences people are having "offline."

My husband and I both turned (3) new people onto Ron Paul this week. We are going to have a challenge to see how many each of us can turn!!!

:D

Suzu
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I forgot to mention that no one voted for Alan Keyes either.

me3
11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I forgot to mention that no one voted for Alan Keyes either.
lol :D

pcosmar
11-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I lived in Columbia Mo. many years ago. It is good to hear that Liberty is still alive in your area.
Thanks for the good news.

michaelwise
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I think people are becoming immune to all the war mongering rhetoric, and just want the war to end. Thanks for the good news.

Falseflagop
11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Awesome news!! People have had enough!

jasonhlasvegas2008
11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Suzu,

If my math is correct he captured approximately 77% of the vote. That's very impressive even compared to some of the most recent straw poll victories. How many of the 85 that voted for Ron Paul do you estimate were members of a MeetUp?

Suzu
11-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Suzu,

If my math is correct he captured approximately 77% of the vote. That's very impressive even compared to some of the most recent straw poll victories. How many of the 85 that voted for Ron Paul do you estimate were members of a MeetUp?

At least half were probably meetup members.

werdd
11-01-2007, 10:26 PM
was this an official straw poll?

Kregener
11-01-2007, 10:32 PM
http://ky3.blogspot.com/2007/11/ron-paul-wins-metro-republican-straw.html

Thursday, November 01, 2007
Ron Paul Wins Metro Republican Straw Poll

Ron Paul has won the Springfield Metro Republican Club straw poll.

Paul won overwhelmingly with 78% of the vote, according to a local supporter of the libertarian running for President.

109 people voted. The results are as follows:

Ron Paul – 78% (85)
Mike Huckabee 10% (11)
Mitt Romney – 5% (6)
Michael Smith – 4% (4)
Fred Thompson – 2% (2)
Rudy Giuliani - 1% (1)

The local G.O.P. group held the poll for any Missouri resident that will be voting age by February 5th.

The voting began at 6 p.m. Thursday evening and finished around 7:30 p.m. One speaker for each candidate was also allowed to give a short, one minute depiction of the candidate that they support.

Convinced yet that the Paul people are the most dedicated?

Tidewise
11-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Spamming in meatspace! What will those crafty Ron Paul supporters think of next? Voting in the primaries?

freelance
11-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Makes you wonder how many or how few people are going to turn out for the primaries. Is it possible that we could win by default? If we win a few of the early states, I can't imagine the voters suddenly flocking to the polls for the opposition.

I keep wondering where the other candidates are hiding their supporters. Even after the indoctrination and reeducation at this straw poll, RP walked away with a stunning victory. Can we repeat this in the primaries?

The good news is that the other candidates are going to have to spend a fortune to get out the vote, if there's any way for them to get out the vote at all.

purplechoe
11-02-2007, 03:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HxrwsMQaE

Ozwest
11-02-2007, 04:22 AM
Makes you wonder how many or how few people are going to turn out for the primaries. Is it possible that we could win by default? If we win a few of the early states, I can't imagine the voters suddenly flocking to the polls for the opposition.

I keep wondering where the other candidates are hiding their supporters. Even after the indoctrination and reeducation at this straw poll, RP walked away with a stunning victory. Can we repeat this in the primaries?

The good news is that the other candidates are going to have to spend a fortune to get out the vote, if there's any way for them to get out the vote at all.

Yes!!! This is how the motivated minority can conquer the apathetic majority. After the early primaries, the media and establishment are going to be scared sh**less!

Thunderbolt
11-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Yes!!! This is how the motivated minority can conquer the apathetic majority. After the early primaries, the media and establishment are going to be scared sh**less!

Excellently said!

TruckinMike
11-02-2007, 06:05 AM

All we have to do now is let the sleepy giant sleep.... I have a feeling that Hannity and company will do everything in their power to awake the apathetic pawns and manipulate them into voting for the XYZ candidate of choice. So lets keep our guard up... post more signs and continue kicking xxs and taking names!!!!

Well DONE!!:D:D

TruckinMike

manny
11-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Great!

All these straw polls seem to back up the polls which show a majority of almost every demographic being anti-war. I think even in the Republican party the pro-war types are a minority (albeit an extremely vocal one) and have captured the leadership at so many levels. But they can't stop a huge move of people anti-war. Wonder when the other pro-war candidates will drop out to stop splitting their vote and put all their eggs in one basket?

robofx
11-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Why should we assume that the delegates will vote for Ron Paul at the national convention even if he wins the primaries?

mweldon
11-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Why should we assume that the delegates will vote for Ron Paul at the national convention even if he wins the primaries?

Catch up...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27066

Bradley in DC
11-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Because in most states they will be legally obligated to do so. ;)