PDA

View Full Version : Teaparty Scapegoats

Pauls' Revere
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm tierd of hearing the Tea party taking all the blame for this debt deal. The Tea Party representatives were not the ones to vote for the debt ceiling increase(s) the last 78 times the Democrats and Republicans have been in office. Nonetheless, the establishment finds the scapegoat for its own policy irrresponsibilities and failures.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-adviser-blames-tea-party-downgrade-155220470.html

Original_Intent
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep, this morning I heard three different references to the "Tea Party downgrade" and at least twice that many mentions of "brinksmanship".

It's clear scapegoats is exactly it, and I worry that if Ron Paul wins that he will be used as a scapegoat as well. But I am sure he is well aware of the dangers.

Don Lapre
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Tea party downgrade is seriously one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

The loony left has just had their ass paddled, and like children, are lashing out at those they hate.

Cry me a river, red-asses.

You fucked up, plain and simple.

Lucille
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
TMG (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/wile9.1.1.html) called it:

Daily Bell: What is your take on Ron Paul? On the Tea Party?

Mogambo Guru: A wish come true, but arrived, alas, too, too late, but in time to take the blame.

I tweeted a response to @latimestot Andrew Malcolm with that piece and he responded via PM:

who else to blame? :--))

He seemed so pleased about it.

So I responded back:

Federal Reserve, & the moronic & corrupt bifactional ruling party who serve only special interests, & the American people who re-elect them!

and...

As timely as ever: The 545 People Responsible For All Of America's Woes http://www.apfn.org/APFN/woes.htm #fed #dem #gop #youandme Right?

Valli6
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
This is really pissing me off! :mad:

The Tea Party did not run up this debt!
The Tea Party did not start all these wars!
The Tea Party did not bailout corporations and banks all over the world to the tune of $16 TRILLION!!!

It took a long time for all these career politicians to create this mess, and most of them grew rich in the process! Now they have the gall to pretend the Tea Party is what's causing the collapse of this country?!

flightlesskiwi
08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
This is really pissing me off! :mad:

The Tea Party did not run up this debt!
The Tea Party did not start all these wars!
The Tea Party did not bailout corporations and banks all over the world to the tune of $16 TRILLION!!!

It took a long time for all these career politicians to create this mess, and most of them grew rich in the process! Now they have the gall to pretend the Tea Party is what's causing the collapse of this country?!

the really maddening thing: a lot of people have their heads buried so deep in the sand that they actually believe this.

Johnnybags
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Americans are so stupid, even tv anchors, they will believe it. Kerry and Axlerod all over the place calling it the Tea Party downgrade? It is exasperating but expected. They will continue to increase debt with lies til the dollar collapses, of that I am convinced, history tells us this.

lynnf
08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
just tell people that in Congress, they label everything backwards or opposite of what it is; you know, the Patriot Act has nothing to do with Patriots except to put them in jail, etc. and this is opposite, too, the fault of the downgrade lies with the non-Tea Partyiers.

you get to hit two birds with one stone on this - point out what Congress has done so much of in the past and also what it's done with the debt deal.

go get 'em!

ItsTime
08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
"tea party downgrade" is fabricated by Soros. Yup 12% of congress stopped a good bill from passing.....

headhawg7
08-07-2011, 06:17 PM
the really maddening thing: a lot of people have their heads buried so deep in the sand that they actually believe this.

Totally agree

gerryb
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
"tea party downgrade" is fabricated by Soros. Yup 12% of congress stopped a good bill from passing.....

Actually it's been started by Peter Koechley by sending out a MoveOn e-mail blast. Peter Koechley also worked for The Onion, so MoveOn is a natural role for him.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
TMG (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/wile9.1.1.html) called it:

I tweeted a response to @latimestot Andrew Malcolm with that piece and he responded via PM:

He seemed so pleased about it.

So I responded back:

Andrew Malcolm is practically one of us. He's always been on our side for the most part. I think he was being sarcastic.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Actually it's been started by Peter Koechley by sending out a MoveOn e-mail blast. Peter Koechley also worked for The Onion, so MoveOn is a natural role for him.

No, this morning David Axelrod used it on Fox and John Kerry spewed it on MSNBC, while "Think Progress" and "Talking Points Memo" were ready with blog entries too. It was definitely a DNC scripted talking point.

Rand Paul is really good at generating these for the right, but the GOP needs to get better at coordinating the attacks. As it is, they apparently love to stay on the defensive.

smithtg
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I saw the axelrod clip, what an effing loser. Seriously, do these guys send out spam mail to each other with absolutely dumb talking points like "tea party downgrade" and expect anyone with half of a brain to believe them? The only people they rile up are the hardcore libs who already hate the tea party, so if you ask me it doesnt do a damn thing for them.

wannaberocker
08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Teaparty downgrade dosnt even make any fukin sense. The tea party was wanted more cuts which would mean no downgrade. The american public cant be this stupid and if they are then they deserve to be ruled by these nitwits.

smithtg
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Teaparty downgrade dosnt even make any fukin sense. The tea party was wanted more cuts which would mean no downgrade. The american public cant be this stupid and if they are then they deserve to be ruled by these nitwits.

many of them are 'ruled' that is the problem. Many 'talk' (including yours truly) but dont get involved. Its a shitty system and continues to make me want to get 500 acres in the middle of nowhere and forget about it all

Tarzan
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
As much as we may all hate this it points out something VERY important... the importance of Talking Points!

Ron's explanations on the economy and other issues can be rather long and exhaustive. But there should also be short, quotable Talking Points that can be repeated profusely by the media. If we had a caucus that was willing it would be easy to have seen the impending blame approaching on this issue. And concise phrases could be repeated until the media begins using them... or, until enough of the voting public hears it. Present them with the full explanation if time allows... but, always end with a memorable Talking Point. Give the media something to quote!

This has been a long term problem. Much of the explanation as to why increasing the debt limit was such an incredibly bad idea where never presented in an easily understandable fashion. Had this been done perhaps we would have won more supporters. Or, at least, keep people from thinking that raising the debut limit would be the cure to all our woes. You can't borrow your way out of debt. But, too late for that now. I hope this can be better addressed as we move forward. An excellent base for getting out our "talking points" would be through the Tea Party Caucus or congressional groups of a similar ilk.

The pen is mightier than the sword... but only if we keep the pen short and pointy. (and stick it in their eye, over and over again)

wannaberocker
08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
As much as we may all hate this it points out something VERY important... the importance of Talking Points!

Ron's explanations on the economy and other issues can be rather long and exhaustive. But there should also be short, quotable Talking Points that can be repeated profusely by the media. If we had a caucus that was willing it would be easy to have seen the impending blame approaching on this issue. And concise phrases could be repeated until the media begins using them... or, until enough of the voting public hears it. Present them with the full explanation if time allows... but, always end with a memorable Talking Point. Give the media something to quote!

This has been a long term problem. Much of the explanation as to why increasing the debt limit was such an incredibly bad idea where never presented in an easily understandable fashion. Had this been done perhaps we would have won more supporters. Or, at least, keep people from thinking that raising the debut limit would be the cure to all our woes. You can't borrow your way out of debt. But, too late for that now. I hope this can be better addressed as we move forward. An excellent base for getting out our "talking points" would be through the Tea Party Caucus or congressional groups of a similar ilk.

The pen is mightier than the sword... but only if we keep the pen short and pointy. (and stick it in their eye, over and over again)

Your right. talking points are important and they matter. They also allow you to own the debate and take it in the direction you want.

For example during the debt deal i was discussing the debt issues with 2 leftist friends. I said that we should cut more because even if we pass a bill, it does not mean that we will not get downgraded because S&P has said we need to cut. They didnt believe we needed to cut to much and said if the debt bill was passed no way we get downgraded. So long stories short now i talked with them yesterday and said "so was i right or was i right" and they said "yes, they should have cut more". So if i can present the tea party position so simply and win a debate with two leftist. Why cant our political leaders do this?

There is no way the leftist should be able to blame this on the tea party. THe tea party wanted more cuts and the leftist didnt. THen how in the world does the tea party get blamed? It all comes down to poor talking points and leadership. Our leadership should never allow the media to use this BS argument. Its amazing to me how the conservatives can get a winning hand and end up screwing it up.

I saw Chris Wallace on tv saying to some republican senator "well dosnt some of the blame go to the tea party" and the senator gave a retarded responce like "oh well there is alot of blame to go around, we need to do xyz". Now how hard is it to challange Chris Wallace and say "how the hell do you sit there and say the blame goes to the tea party. We wanted to cut and the dems didnt. We lost our credit rating because the leftist dont wanna cut". Now they dont have to use the same words, but it is indeed that easy.
This is so frustrating.

civusamericanus
08-07-2011, 11:37 PM
The Tea Party wasn't willing to raise taxes, and that's what caused the downgrade? How about the "StAA+tus Quo" who got us into this mess and continue to do the same thing over and over.

Pauls' Revere
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
"Teaparty Downgrade" easy diction for the masses.

While "Unsustainable unfunded liabilities" makes thier eyes glaze over.

AbVag
08-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Sadly, they generalize.

lynnf
08-08-2011, 03:10 AM
so turn it back on them and call Obama the downgrade president -- spread it all over the web.

wannaberocker
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Maybe we should call him "ObamAA+".

Brian4Liberty
08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
The Obama Administration is using some of the phrasing from the Standard and Poor's press release to "prove" that this is the result of the Tea Party causing Congress to become "less stable, less effective, and less predictable". It certainly seems to be the best statement that the Administration could wrestle out of S&P.

...we have changed our view of the difficulties in bridging the
gulf between the political parties over fiscal policy, which makes us
pessimistic about the capacity of Congress and the Administration to be
able to leverage their agreement this week into a broader fiscal
consolidation plan that stabilizes the government's debt dynamics any
time soon.

The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as
America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective,
and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt
ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in
the debate over fiscal policy. Despite this year's wide-ranging debate, in our
view, the differences between political parties have proven to be
extraordinarily difficult to bridge, and, as we see it, the resulting
agreement fell well short of the comprehensive fiscal consolidation program
that some proponents had envisaged until quite recently.

http://www.standardandpoors.com/ratings/articles/en/us/?assetID=1245316529563

RoyalShock
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I could be wrong, but isn't "comprehensive fiscal consolidation" exactly what Tea Party congressmen were after? I mean, it sounds like econo-speak for "cut, cap and balance".

Brian4Liberty
08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I could be wrong, but isn't "comprehensive fiscal consolidation" exactly what Tea Party congressmen were after? I mean, it sounds like econo-speak for "cut, cap and balance".

That could also include raising taxes...of course the Democrats will take the parts they want out of context, which they did on some of the Sunday morning shows.

CableNewsJunkie
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I kinda like the sound of "Tea Party Bond Vigilantes" myself - it gives us even more credibility and turns their criticism into our strength.

“I used to think that if there was reincarnation, I wanted to come back as the president or the pope or as a .400 baseball hitter. But now I would like to come back as the bond market. You can intimidate everybody." - James Carville

wannaberocker
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
We are in an "Economic Barrakalips".

Brian4Liberty
08-08-2011, 10:35 AM
That could also include raising taxes...of course the Democrats will take the parts they want out of context, which they did on some of the Sunday morning shows.

From the S&P release, lamenting the lack of new "revenue" (taxes):

It appears that for now, new revenues have dropped down on the menu of policy options.

ctiger2
08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I would agree with a Tea Party Downgrade IF:

Balanced Budget Amendment Passed AND Debt Ceiling NOT Raised AND Spending Actually CUT.

None of the three happened... The only thing you could possibly blame on the Tea Party is a delay in a bill passing.

MJU1983
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
The only ones I hear blaming the Tea Party are crazy leftist, big government "progressives". In my opinion - fuck 'em.

They can cry all they want but it still won't help keep Obama in office or any of their other losers in office. 2012 will be a huge gain for Republicans in general (like 2010 was), especially those limited government Tea Party Conservatives.

Tea Party Supporters Oppose Debt Agreement, 68% to 22% (http://www.gallup.com/poll/148841/Tea-Party-Supporters-Oppose-Debt-Agreement.aspx)

CaptUSA
08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
It's the "Compromise Downgrade".

Push that. It makes sense. And it ties in nicely with Paul's ad.

There would never have been a "Conviction Downgrade!"

Valli6
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Remember way back 6 weeks ago, when moveon.borg's van Jones was claiming warnings about America's financial problems were just a big lie?*
Jone's stated 6/21/11:

"AMERICA IS NOT BROKE!"
"We are still the richest country in the history of the world!"
"Our economy is almost as big as 2 Chinas!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9wnVPFEwSI

Or Michael Moore in Michigan last March making the same claims?
Moore 3/11:

"Contrary to what those in power would like you to believe so that you'll give up your pension, cut your wages, and settle for the life your great-grandparents had, America is not broke. Not by a long shot. The country is awash in wealth and cash. It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks and the portfolios of the uber-rich.*

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/america-is-not-broke

Sounds like moveOn wasn't concerned about maintaining a credit rating then!

Valli6
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
omg. now michael moore is telling Obama to arrest Standard & Poors CEO. :rolleyes:
He tweeted:

"Pres Obama, show some guts & arrest the CEO of Standard & Poors. These criminals brought down the economy in 2008& now they will do it again"

wannaberocker
08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
omg. now michael more is telling Obama to arrest Standard & Poors CEO. :rolleyes:
He tweeted:

Michael Moore wants to shoot the messenger of bad news.

Tarzan
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
It's the "Compromise Downgrade".

Maybe take it one step further and call it what it really is:
The Compromise Collapse

Pericles
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Propaganda matters - I cite Sam Adams as an example.

CaptUSA
08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe take it one step further and call it what it really is:
The Compromise Collapse

I'll take that one, too!

JK/SEA
08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Actually, shouldn't it be the Santelli Downgrade?...lol

AbVag
08-08-2011, 03:02 PM
You know, sometimes it takes me a bit of time to recall things that helps put things in perspective. I begin to understand more why such a blame on the Tea Party is constructed. Remember, the establishment Republicans hijacked the Tea Party. Enough so that I do my best to not consider myself a member of anything. I reject the Tea Party as I do every other group in existence.

So, they hijack the Tea Party, make it their own, get people to vote them into office, then succeed in making the Tea Party the villain rendering the establishment's threat neutralized. It was quite the effective plan. Getting the Tea Party to vote in an "ally" like Allen West who makes them proud by proclaiming that the debt ceiling raise plan passing was a "victory for the Tea Party". Gotta love it. I mean, nobody's better at keeping liberals ignorant than the GOP.

Kim4Paul
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Blaming the Tea Party for the downgrade is like blaming Paul Revere for the British coming. Shoot that man! He's bringing the British!

headhawg7
08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Blaming the Tea Party for the downgrade is like blaming Paul Revere for the British coming. Shoot that man! He's bringing the British!

Great analogy!

Kim4Paul
08-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks!

Lucille
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Great analogy!

Agreed!

Tarzan
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM

This is why it would be great if we had a good political cartoonist on our side... quick and easy to understand messages in picture form (you know, for the average voter).

PR riding into town... red coats hot on his heals... someone in town shoots him for causing the crisis. Wish I could draw worth a hoot!

Pauls' Revere
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
And from another post in these forums...

Allen West blames the Teaparty. Fuckers just don't get it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/allen-west-tea-party-schizophrenia-debt_n_913283.html

georgiaboy
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Tea Party failure caused the downgrade, not Tea Party success. Debt ceiling was raised, no BBA, spending & borrowing continues to go up year after year, and Bush tax cuts set to expire real soon.

Status quo maintained; S&P got it right. It's because not enough changed from the Status Quo that they downgraded the US gov't.

Tea Party Downgrade - ha. This downgrade is purely a Beltway Establishment Downgrade, because the belt keeps getting looser, not tighter.