PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom equity bill passes New York, Virginia, Texas and California

Agorism
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
“States such as New York, Virginia, Texas and California have passed a bathroom equity bill, demanding a 2 to 1 ratio of women’s toilets in public places”

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1035649--the-call-of-the-stall

moostraks
08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
ugh...I had to look to see it wasn't an onion article...there is seriously legislation on this! I am female, have had 8 children, with more than my fair share of bathroom trips(w/and w/out children in tow) and would never find this necessary.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
ugh...I had to look to see it wasn't an onion article...there is seriously legislation on this! I am female, have had 8 children, with more than my fair share of bathroom trips(w/and w/out children in tow) and would never find this necessary.

Really? You've never been to a concert where the line out of the ladies room was 100 long, while the men didn't have any line?

I think it's silly that they have to legislate this, because anybody pitching a new building or a remodel could certainly use this as a selling point. But on the other hand, the number of bathrooms has long been codified, and if this is just amending the code to make it legal to build more women's facilities than men's, then it is a good thing.

In fact, the old code is probably a great example of how government planning fails, as well as a talking point about how slow it is to react to failure.

Brian4Liberty
08-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't a mall (or event center) that built a large enough number of women's facilities get more business than the overcrowded ones?

axiomata
08-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I have no problem with buildings having more women's restrooms than men, but to call this equity is a joke. If anything it shows the pitfalls of legislated equity.

Kylie
08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
The only reason that there is not a line for the mens room at concerts, as opposed to womens, is that the men don't mind pissing in the sink.

You know it's the truth. :D

Pauls' Revere
08-07-2011, 02:22 PM
The only reason that there is not a line for the mens room at concerts, as opposed to womens, is that the men don't mind pissing in the sink.

You know it's the truth. :D

Cause we dont wash our hands anyway...LOL

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Can someone explain HOW this is supposed to solve the problem? Yes, the women's bathroom line is long because women tend to take much longer. Men generally (though not always) do their business, wash their hands (unless they're a sleazy fucker) and exit the premises.

MelissaWV
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Can someone explain HOW this is supposed to solve the problem? Yes, the women's bathroom line is long because women tend to take much longer. Men generally (though not always) do their business, wash their hands (unless they're a sleazy fucker) and exit the premises.

Men can also do their business at glorified troughs. I don't "take much longer" except to deal with the line and the loitering of that line in the washroom. I'll never understand why some women feel a need to basically stand right outside your door and between you and the sink when waiting for your stall.

As others have said, this would be common sense for anyplace that wants female patrons to feel comfortable and get things done quickly. "Family" bathrooms are also a good solution to part of the problem (women with multiple children in tow) that seems to plague the women's bathrooms.

libertyjam
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Wouldn't a mall (or event center) that built a large enough number of women's facilities get more business than the overcrowded ones?

Not in my experience, you can only build so many large capacity venues.

MelissaWV
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Mall bathrooms are wretchedly unclean the majority of the time. More of them would just mean more that are out of order, out of paper, overflowing in every possible sense, and so on ... not much of a draw :p

RCA
08-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Really? You've never been to a concert where the line out of the ladies room was 100 long, while the men didn't have any line?

I think it's silly that they have to legislate this, because anybody pitching a new building or a remodel could certainly use this as a selling point. But on the other hand, the number of bathrooms has long been codified, and if this is just amending the code to make it legal to build more women's facilities than men's, then it is a good thing.

In fact, the old code is probably a great example of how government planning fails, as well as a talking point about how slow it is to react to failure.

Wait, I thought the market made all the decisions? BLACK AND WHITE ALWAYS FAILS.

RCA
08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Men can also do their business at glorified troughs. I don't "take much longer" except to deal with the line and the loitering of that line in the washroom. I'll never understand why some women feel a need to basically stand right outside your door and between you and the sink when waiting for your stall.

As others have said, this would be common sense for anyplace that wants female patrons to feel comfortable and get things done quickly. "Family" bathrooms are also a good solution to part of the problem (women with multiple children in tow) that seems to plague the women's bathrooms.

So, let me get this straight, men don't have assholes? Also, thanks for making my choice for me regarding what I'd rather piss into. Damn, this movement is getting dumber by the hour.

MelissaWV
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
So, let me get this straight, men don't have assholes? Also, thanks for making my choice for me regarding what I'd rather piss into. Damn, this movement is getting dumber by the hour.

You must never have been to the concert and sporting events that people are talking about. Furthermore, you didn't get all huffy about the guy saying that guys pee into the sink :rolleyes: Someone's getting dumber, and it ain't me.

You're right, though, I'm being unfair and making this up.

http://media.canada.com/7a4062bf-1caf-45d2-b39d-5aeb6b020806/0603dna04urinal.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lemd1z6Rod1qfphg5o1_500.jpg

dannno
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Wait, I thought the market made all the decisions? BLACK AND WHITE ALWAYS FAILS.

No, I think she made a good point that it might (though somebody will need to research this) be ILLEGAL to build too many more women's stalls than men's due to existing codes.

The best way to fix this of course would be to get rid of all of the codes and let private property owners decide.. but angelatc's point was that by redefining the code, they might essentially be allowing building owners to do what they wanted to do in the first place.

I just really hope (and kind of assume as the article was tldr) this is all for new buildings, and that all existing buildings won't be required to retrofit. That would be some serious $$$ loss.

RCA
08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
You must never have been to the concert and sporting events that people are talking about. Furthermore, you didn't get all huffy about the guy saying that guys pee into the sink :rolleyes: Someone's getting dumber, and it ain't me.

http://media.canada.com/7a4062bf-1caf-45d2-b39d-5aeb6b020806/0603dna04urinal.jpg

You are making very little sense now. So I'll think I'll stop replying to your posts on this subject. And since you need the nudge, I've used those stalls plenty of times, but that was not even remotely the point of my response to your arguments. Re-read until you understand.

LibertyEagle
08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh sheesh.

It's one thing to require government buildings be built like this, it is quite another to dictate to private businesses what they do. It's none of government's frickin' business.

heavenlyboy34
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
"On a global level, the World Toilet Organization has discussed the issue of potty parity — or as The Economist more eloquently refers to it, porcelain parity — at a recent World Toilet Summit."

There's a world toilet organization? LOL!! :D

heavenlyboy34
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh sheesh.

It's one thing to require government buildings be built like this, it is quite another to dictate to private businesses what they do. It's none of government's frickin' business.
+a zillion

Valli6
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
"On a global level, the World Toilet Organization has discussed the issue of potty parity — or as The Economist more eloquently refers to it, porcelain parity — at a recent World Toilet Summit."

So I checked wikipedia and:

World Toilet Organization (WTO) is a global non-profit organization committed to improving toilet and sanitation conditions worldwide…. Founded in 2001 with 15 members, it now has 151 member organizations in 53 countries working towards eliminating the toilet taboo and delivering sustainable sanitation. WTO is also the organizer of the World Toilet Summits and World Toilet Expo and Forum.
Last years World Toilet Summit was held in Philidelphia PA.
And the WTO has declared November 19 "World Toilet Day".
There's also a World Toilet College.

TruckinMike
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Whats funny is that Texans already understand the need for more womens bathrooms --- Take the famous Bucee's convenient store chain for instance.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qeExpCoSThw/TD8F9LBINmI/AAAAAAAAAyA/WUsqL2qwfPA/s320/bucees+bath.bmp

They understand the needs of a woman. --- Yes, that is a real photo of the womens bathroom at bucees. and no, I didn't take the picture.:D

Interstate Billboard:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wSPANO5qmhk/SpKR7uqHszI/AAAAAAAAFeI/Tlu51vrIzi4/s320/BuceesOutdoor4.jpg

TMike

LibertyEagle
08-07-2011, 04:52 PM

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. We are both funding this, ya know.

Fox McCloud
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd say the lines aren't longer, at outdoor events, is because men can just sneak off and go pee behind a tree or something, if necessary.

In any event, this is ridiculous that there's actually laws on this...what next? Mandatory number of men and women's stalls square feet? >>

Kylie
08-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Exactly!! :D

I was just making a joke about em pissing in the sink. See? Paul's Revere got it.

Oh yeah, and I'm a chick. A chick who can piss, wash and be back outta the can in less than two minutes. I don't primp in there.

Hell, I don't primp at all. :)

moostraks
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Guess I wasn't specific about necessary. I think there are more important things in life to be concerned with than bathroom parity. Wasting time forcing businesses to comply for the comfort of their patrons seems like good business sense and a stupid waste of legislative time. Who makes lobbying for more bathrooms a priority and necessity to show how far they have come as women????

If I have to pee and the line is long I will go somewhere else to dtd...

angelatc
08-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't primp in there.

I'm a tad claustrophobic, so I don't primp when there's a crowd. But line to the bathroom isn't women waiting to primp. It's women waiting to pee. It takes women longer, because we have to go into a stall, hang up a purse, pull down pants and undergarmets, pee, wipe, pull undergarmets back up, grab purse, unlock door, and then exit. And that's on a good day.

Men walk in, whip it out, put it away and they're done.

Again, I think that the building codes mandate how many bathrooms facilities must provide, and thus the common sense solution wasn't necessarily available.

It's really pathetic that people had to lobby for the right to build an efficient number of bathrooms.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Guess I wasn't specific about necessary. I think there are more important things in life to be concerned with than bathroom parity. Wasting time forcing businesses to comply for the comfort of their patrons seems like good business sense and a stupid waste of legislative time. Who makes lobbying for more bathrooms a priority and necessity to show how far they have come as women????

If I have to pee and the line is long I will go somewhere else to dtd...

If I spend $100 on a concert ticket, I think it's pretty pathetic that I have to miss half an hour of the show if nature calls because the government wouldn't allow the venue to build extra bathrooms.

It isn't pathetic to lobby for such - it's pathetic that they had to lobby for it.

ANd yeah, I've gone into the men's room and peed....in the 80's that made me cool, but these days I'd probably get arrested.

Pauls' Revere
08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Can someone design a group urinal for women? I sense a business opportunity here.

http://93rockon.com/blogs/post/dburns/2011/jul/19/havent-had-good-wtf-awhileone-ladies-today-female-/

moostraks
08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
If I spend $100 on a concert ticket, I think it's pretty pathetic that I have to miss half an hour of the show if nature calls because the government wouldn't allow the venue to build extra bathrooms.

It isn't pathetic to lobby for such - it's pathetic that they had to lobby for it.

ANd yeah, I've gone into the men's room and peed....in the 80's that made me cool, but these days I'd probably get arrested.

"If a sign of a society’s progress is equal rights and equal opportunities, then we should strive for a future where women spend as little time waiting as men. "

From the original article. I think the whole attitude of tying my womanhood to an issue of bathroom expediency ridiculous. I would not waste my time on this issue. Apparently this is something you feel whose time has come-I disagree with this. It has not been a major discomfort in my life. Even my numerous times of being pregnant or with children in tow I have never been so harmed as to find this use of legislative time necessary. Your mileage apparently varies.

Philhelm
08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm a tad claustrophobic, so I don't primp when there's a crowd. But line to the bathroom isn't women waiting to primp. It's women waiting to pee. It takes women longer, because we have to go into a stall, hang up a purse, pull down pants and undergarmets, pee, wipe, pull undergarmets back up, grab purse, unlock door, and then exit. And that's on a good day.

I didn't see the washing of hands in the order of operations...

Men walk in, whip it out, put it away and they're done.

Unless they are bladder shy or have diarrhea...

Again, I think that the building codes mandate how many bathrooms facilities must provide, and thus the common sense solution wasn't necessarily available.

It's really pathetic that people had to lobby for the right to build an efficient number of bathrooms.

The government should stay out of everything. Dare I say everything that government touches turns to...shit? Aha aha aha!

MelissaWV
08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Exactly!! :D

I was just making a joke about em pissing in the sink. See? Paul's Revere got it.

Oh yeah, and I'm a chick. A chick who can piss, wash and be back outta the can in less than two minutes. I don't primp in there.

I got it, too, just the dude after me thinking I was the urinal nazi didn't. Oops about the chick thing :p I guess Kylie isn't a guy's name... but somehow I read it as Kyle.

I still think the biggest delay is elderly and families when it comes to bathrooms. Women live longer than men. More women are single-with-kids than guys. Women can't quite manage the trough thing quite as well as men. It all adds up! But this is yet again something for the market to decide. Referencing angelatc's post about bathroom procedures, I notice that there's a purse being hung up. I don't carry one, but women that do will often find a convenient hook for that very purpose (you do not want your purse or much of anything else on the average bathroom stall floor). I don't recall there being a mandate to force purse hooks, or to regulate their height, strength, and so on. Somehow the market decided that.

(You know the world's a bad place when I find myself hoping I'm right, and that there is not some obscure law mandating purse hooks that I'm unaware of.)

Danke
08-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Women should just wear Depends to these events. They wouldn't miss anything except when they are running to the concession stands to get their man something.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't see the washing of hands in the order of operations...

Because it's a wash....I mean, after the act in completed, we can assume that the washing of hands doesn't take any longer for men than it does for women.

Unless they are bladder shy or have diarrhea... I've never seen a line out of the men's room because there were so many people with those afflictions. Notice that although I alluded to it, I didn't mention that some women must take even longer because they have to take care of menstruation related activities.

The government should stay out of everything. Dare I say everything that government touches turns to...shit? Aha aha aha!

Absolutely.

flightlesskiwi
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Women should just wear Depends to these events. They wouldn't miss anything except when they are running to the concession stands to get their man something.

Lisa Nowak approves of your post!

http://www.washingtonian.com/block_dbimages/3941/hm_astronaut.jpg

angelatc
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
It.

(You know the world's a bad place when I find myself hoping I'm right, and that there is not some obscure law mandating purse hooks that I'm unaware of.)

:) I got out of the habit of hanging my purse on those hooks when a city I lived in experienced a brief rash of thieves who would reach over the door, grab the purse and run. But I don't put it on the floor...ick!

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 07:22 PM

A Marine would tell you that they were taught to wash their hands after doing your business.

A Sailor would tell you that they were taught to not piss on their hands to begin with.

LOL

Kylie
08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I got it, too, just the dude after me thinking I was the urinal nazi didn't. Oops about the chick thing :p I guess Kylie isn't a guy's name... but somehow I read it as Kyle.

I still think the biggest delay is elderly and families when it comes to bathrooms. Women live longer than men. More women are single-with-kids than guys. Women can't quite manage the trough thing quite as well as men. It all adds up! But this is yet again something for the market to decide. Referencing angelatc's post about bathroom procedures, I notice that there's a purse being hung up. I don't carry one, but women that do will often find a convenient hook for that very purpose (you do not want your purse or much of anything else on the average bathroom stall floor). I don't recall there being a mandate to force purse hooks, or to regulate their height, strength, and so on. Somehow the market decided that.

Right on. No biggie on the girl thing, since it is a rather asexual name. :D

I just wish the .gov would stay out of our bathrooms. Hell, out of our houses even.

Agorism
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Also when and if there is an actual line, men just go outdoors at most informal events like a concert because they refuse to wait in a line.

MikeStanart
08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
To avoid costs, businesses will likely reduce the amount of urinal stalls for men to stay within the limits.

Unintended consequences.

Agorism
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
To avoid costs, businesses will likely reduce the amount of urinal stalls for men to stay within the limits.

Unintended consequences.

Or build one of those giant sink urinals to go in.

Or just put a hole in the ground that everyone can pee into at once. May as well have a tree to pee on instead.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Unintended consequences.

You know, now that you mention it, I seem to recall that one of the "issues" was that urinals didn't actually even count as fixtures in some jurisdictions. (This issue has been around since the '80's, for those of you just now discovering it.)

Again, I'm pretty sure that building codes mandate how many facilities must be provided based on capacity. But you're right - it's certainly conceivable that, in true socialist fashion, the change will result in everybody now standing in line.

Bordillo
08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
forced equality is the only answer

Anti Federalist
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM

If I'm just taking a leak, damn right.

The cleanest thing I've ever seen in a public restroom is my dick.

Agorism
08-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Men can pee anywhere though: outside, on fire hydrants, behinds cars, on trees, behind the shed, out in the open if needed so it doesn't even matter how many urinals in some cases.

Maybe this bill discriminates against men who have to take a #2.

Pauls' Revere
08-07-2011, 11:47 PM
If I'm just taking a leak, damn right.

The cleanest thing I've ever seen in a public restroom is my dick.

This should be the qoute of the week. lol

Krugerrand
08-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Who would have thought how useful this post would have been:

Go Girl Female Urination Device
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B003BEDUS6.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003BEDUS6/eindotcom-20

$10 $4.50 w/ free super saver shipping. 4/5 stars on 39 46 reviews.

speciallyblend
08-08-2011, 06:57 AM

the british say wash your hands, the irish say don't piss on your hands:) along those lines. Not sure what women do in those damn stalls but bottom line is women take forever in the bathroom ,men do not!!! so adding more stalls just means more women taking forever in the bathroom ,pointless!!

things women could be doing in the stall, rolling a joint, drinking alcohol to counter bs kids, avoiding men, getting some action in the stall??, make up, doing things women will not admit to??? i mean really what is going on in the stall?

speciallyblend
08-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Men can pee anywhere though: outside, on fire hydrants, behinds cars, on trees, behind the shed, out in the open if needed so it doesn't even matter how many urinals in some cases.

women can to;) they just have to squat and aim. i have seen plenty of women pee where ever they want;)

DamianTV
08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Shittiest Bill Evarr!

Watch
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Saturday night I was leaving a sanctioned party at a store and a girl was squatting and taking a piss behind a car. Unladylike(if there is such a thing, I don't believe in it) I thought it was awesome, that she didn't feel restricted at all. I found it hilarious that she decided to yell something at me in a depricative(sp?) manner to make light of me stumbling upon her. I gave her the Roark of indifference but, I had to bring this up. Girls can pee anywhere too, in fact I think they should if they want to. Now, of course women have to be more conscious of cleanliness, they're urethra's are shorter and UTI's are a abhorrent. But don't ever tell me that women can't pee anywhere too.

MelissaWV
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Saturday night I was leaving a sanctioned party at a store and a girl was squatting and taking a piss behind a car. Unladylike(if there is such a thing, I don't believe in it) I thought it was awesome, that she didn't feel restricted at all. I found it hilarious that she decided to yell something at me in a depricative(sp?) manner to make light of me stumbling upon her. I gave her the Roark of indifference but, I had to bring this up. Girls can pee anywhere too, in fact I think they should if they want to. Now, of course women have to be more conscious of cleanliness, they're urethra's are shorter and UTI's are a abhorrent. But don't ever tell me that women can't pee anywhere too.

Yes, and be walking around with urine they haven't wiped away. No matter! Those pants and underwear will soak it up when she pulls them up, or the skirt next time she sits down. Now THAT is attractive: a fresh pee stain on one's pants/skirt.

:rolleyes:

As for what women do in stalls, Kenny, it's already been explained and it's very little "stall time" involved. Think of it like a line at the amusement park. You're in line for two hours, you're on the ride for one minute.

Danke
08-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, and be walking around with urine they haven't wiped away. No matter! Those pants and underwear will soak it up when she pulls them up, or the skirt next time she sits down. Now THAT is attractive: a fresh pee stain on one's pants/skirt.

Wear black pants/skirt. No one will notice. Or just hold your purse over it until it drys.

Agorism
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
bump

Watch
08-14-2011, 11:35 PM

:rolleyes:

As for what women do in stalls, Kenny, it's already been explained and it's very little "stall time" involved. Think of it like a line at the amusement park. You're in line for two hours, you're on the ride for one minute.

Nice way to "skirt" the issue. I made a judgment of value free claim that women can pee anywhere and you said it's not attractive. Who gives a f---, its your own pee. And it should be 99% sterile if you're plenty hydrated. Your saliva has more bacteria.

KingRobbStark
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
As far as men are concerned every bush (or wall) is a toilet. That's probably why the lines are not that big.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-15-2011, 03:55 AM
It's because women take their sweet time, and men just piss on the floor.

osan
08-15-2011, 04:38 AM
I think it's silly that they have to legislate this...

if this is just amending the code to make it legal... then it is a good thing.

...old code is probably a great example of how government planning fails,...

How many times will you reverse yourself in a single passage?

It is not good...

No, no, wait... it is...

Wait, no no no... it isn't...

Sheesh.

For the right answer, ask the question: what authority does so-called "government" have to legislate/regulate such issues? Answer: none whatsoever. This is one of those cases where the otherwise inadequate and fuzzy response "the market will sort it out" actually suffices perfectly. Let a company put up a 1000 story building with no bathrooms in it if it so pleases. None of anyone's business in terms of "government". That building will start out empty and remain that way until bathrooms find their ways in. If the owner wishes it to stand vacant, goody for them. It is not a legitimate facet of governance to enact and enforce law regarding whether an edifice has bathrooms, whether they number sufficiently or what the male/female ratio of facilities are.

To anyone for which this is not painfully clear, I do not know what else to write.

WilliamC
08-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Great, I'll just go outside and pee in the bushes, seeings how I'm not allowed to use one of the many available womens rooms and the only mens room is disgusting to even walk in with shoes on.

Schifference
08-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Make all sit down stalls transgender. Have a pissing trough available for those that choose to use it. Ever try to take a dump in the mens public restroom? Toilet filled with shit and toilet paper, it won't flush, and piss all over the seat!

Schifference
08-15-2011, 06:00 AM
The Private pay toilet option. Use the public provided restroom or pay to go price based on speed, cleanliness or both.