PDA

View Full Version : What if we just stop participating in online polls?

Suzu
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
It's a huge waste of time, collectively. And what good does it do? What good has it ever done? Nobody gives a rat's tail about any online poll.

sailingaway
08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Some of them get a lot of traffic, so people see them. Some get earned media (articles) It is sort of like if we didn't win SRLC this year, people would suddenly think it was important. You don't have to do it, though. I don't think it is quite as important this year, for the little ones, but Townhall is seen by a lot of people etc. And some of the Sodahead ones while ridiculous, have tons of views.

libertybrewcity
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
what else would I do with my life?

Cleaner44
08-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I think it would be funny if we threw our support on them to the most absurd choice just to screw with people.

asurfaholic
08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Online polls make me feel like I am voicing my opinion. We all see polls all the time, but some of us are never asked by legitimate polling firms. So any time I have the opportunity, I want to register my support.

enoch150
08-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I think it would be funny if we threw our support on them to the most absurd choice just to screw with people.

That's kind of what people thought we did last time.

realtonygoodwin
08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
It's a huge waste of time, collectively. And what good does it do? What good has it ever done? Nobody gives a rat's tail about any online poll.

+ rep

We need to put that energy into getting out there and talking to likely voters.

CableNewsJunkie
08-07-2011, 02:58 PM

I've also considered that before...and it actually could benefit us if we did it in a coordinated manner.

One week, we throw some fake support to Newt, the next week we show some love for Romney, the next week for Santorum, etc....it could have the effect of draining the financial resources of people more likely to support establishment candidates - and they wouldn't be getting much in return, because no real solid foundation would exist for their candidate(s).

willwash
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM
What we need to do is find out, specifically, what criteria scientific polling firms use to select their respondees, and change whatever we can change to fit that mold. Get a land line phone. Register to vote (no-brainer), donate to the Republican Party (not just Ron Paul), even if only 10 dollars you are a donor and thus are more likely to fit the mold of "likely to vote in the Republican primary"...stuff like that. If we all did that, we'd all get solicited in the scientific polls more.

CaseyJones
08-07-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtl2ZuJpG9M

Raudsarw
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Taking a few seconds out of your time when you're browsing the internet is SUCH a waste of effort....

It doesn't help that much but why not do it even for a little gain? It hardly requires any effort.

Bruno
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
If online polls don't matter at all, then why do so many news sites keep using them?

lucky_bg
08-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Taking a few seconds out of your time when you're browsing the internet is SUCH a waste of effort....

It doesn't help that much but why not do it even for a little gain? It hardly requires any effort.

+ rep

Occam's Banana
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Nobody gives a rat's tail about any online poll.
They will if Ron Paul starts losing them. The MSM will suddenly find them very "revealing" and "indicative" - proving that Ron Paul was just a "flash in the pan."