PDA

View Full Version : I hope Ron is ready for a Fox attack

sailingaway
08-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Everything I've seen with Fox talking about the straw poll, from George Will's article to panels on videos I've seen essentially paints it as 'not counting' whatever Ron gets, regardless of how key it is to others. (nevermind that Ron did NOT do this well in larger straw polls during 2007 -- nothing has changed, move along.....) And Fox is going to be hosting the debate, where they can ask a straw poll version 'does it matter if you win?" of their 'do you have any electability' question. Then they will be crawling all over the straw poll itself, with Huckabee and Hannity etc...and I kinda doubt they will direct attention more than strictly necessary to Ron, at least in a positive way.

I assume the campaign realizes this, but I hope they also warn Ron. The other conservatives only have to worry about MSNBC. Anti-corporatists have to worry about Fox as well, and Ron is the only anti-corporatist running.

Bruno
08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
It would be interesting if he addressed this in the debate on Thursday, by making a clever and profound statement on it, in classic Ron Paul style It could be impactful in voters minds and help them see through the media spin.

LisaNY
08-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm not looking forward to this at all. After those ridiculous questions In South Carolina and the Frank Luntz freakshow, I don't think I'm even going to watch it this time.

sailingaway
08-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Ron is actually at his best when attacked, particularly if he is prepared for it -- think of Chris Matthews' interview, but if he isn't expecting it he may use up some time being taken aback. But think of the RESPONSES to the bad Fox questions.....

invisible
08-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Ron is actually at his best when attacked, particularly if he is prepared for it -- think of Chris Matthews' interview, but if he isn't expecting it he may use up some time being taken aback. But think of the RESPONSES to the bad Fox questions.....

Very, very true. Those have actually produced some of the absolute cream of the crop of those classic Ron Paul moments. Those last couple debates were a snoozefest, I'll admit that responses to stuff like "electability sir, do you have any?" or "does that mean you take your marching orders from al-quedia (or however you spell it)?" literally makes me stand up and cheer.

angelatc
08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
I hope the campaign and/or the PAC is ready to roll out a response.

Fermli
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I wonder if Ron will do the post-debate show this time.

erowe1
08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Is George Will Fox?

HarryBrowneLives
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Ron needs to bring his A game Thursday night. He needs to be sharp. If the campaign is smart, this is where Wead is at his best. They will be gunning for him to make him look bad gaur-un-teed.

BuddyRey
08-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Ron will slay 'em all, just like he always does. Remember the last time they tried to snare him into looking stupid on national TV? It didn't go so well for the FOX crew, and Ron scored the biggest soundbyte of the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIgT_NGgek

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-08-2011, 04:21 AM
As long as he talks like he's talking to a crowd of 10 year olds, everyone will understand him.

BUSHLIED
08-08-2011, 06:46 AM
I agree. He has to be ready for the most vicious attack that FOX can think of. Everyone knows that Ron can very easily win the SP and that many people will be tuning in to this debate more so than the other two. I have faith that Ron reacts well when he is attacked...but I wonder what they could attack him on that they haven't already tried...the debt ceiling won't work cause others have voted NO. It has to be something particular to Paul...the elect-ability question is old and has been brought up on numerous occasions and with 16% going into the straw poll, Ron can easily deal with that question...hmmm...

Krugerrand
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
I suspect they'll try and go after w/ with the bin Laden statements he's made. The FOX News watchers are all about anti-terrorism - go get the bad guys there so we don't have to fight them here - blah blah blah.

Watch for a "Show of hands - who supported the way Dear Leader Barry went after Osama Bin Laden?" Expect no time for explanation, etc.

speciallyblend
08-08-2011, 07:16 AM
fox will ask some type of stupid ? like , you want to restore america but you buy t-shirts from central america, putting americans out of work!! notice it wasn't a ?..

Romulus
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I think he will be ready. He knows not to trust Fox.

I think if he's attacked on some petty issue that he immediately answers it, then slams them and starting talking about our REAL problems!

wgadget
08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I hope he speaks slowly, in a lower pitch, and with authority.

The BIGGEST(actually, the ONLY) reason I've found that people say RP "can't win" is the sound of his voice. This among friends who have voted for him.

Not bashing, just trying to help.

Romulus
08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I hope he speaks slowly, in a lower pitch, and with authority.

The BIGGEST(actually, the ONLY) reason I've found that people say RP "can't win" is the sound of his voice. This among friends who have voted for him.

Not bashing, just trying to help.

That's their problem if they can't see past that.

KingRobbStark
08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I think the T-shirt "issue" is going to get mentioned.

Romulus
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the T-shirt "issue" is going to get mentioned.

Probably. The media is good at bringing up those divisive non issues.

"With unemployment climbing, do you think its a good idea to buy shirts from El Savador Congressman Paul?"

libertybrewcity
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I can't wait. Ron is going to DESTROY them. AND win the straw poll.

http://media.publicbroadcasting.net/wabe/newsroom/images/3314350.jpg

The Magic Hoof
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Do you mean Fox Attack as in Fox is hosting the Iowa debate? I didn't know it was Fox but now I do if this is what you all mean.

I thought the last debate was pretty civil and there wasn't much attacking in it. But this one may be different.

sailingaway
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Probably. The media is good at bringing up those divisive non issues.

"With unemployment climbing, do you think its a good idea to buy shirts from El Savador Congressman Paul?"

If it is, I hope he doesn't JUST go to a discussion of free trade, but starts with a comment like, "Well, I'm a free trader, a true one. I don't care for managed trade agreements like NAFTA which undermine US sovereignty and reserve the benefits of trade only to the well connected, but I do believe that in a situation of true free trade, it creates the greatest wealth for the greatest number. So I support letting the market determine this.' or whatever.

It would be great if he started emphasizing the populist side of his positions, at that debate.

anaconda
08-08-2011, 11:51 PM
George Will's article

What is George Will smoking? He actually says here that Pawlenty is the Republicans' best hope for beating Obama....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/making-hay-at-the-ames-straw-poll/2011/08/05/gIQAP8oFxI_allComments.html?ctab=all_&#comments

BUSHLIED
08-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Will if the t-shirt issue comes up, Ron deserves to get hit for that...there is no excuse for buying t-shirts that are not made in the states..I would just explain that decision by (incompetent) staff who made that decision. Ron was probably completely unaware of this before that reporter brought it up to him...the free trade argument is neutral...if true, he should say that X company offered the best price on the shirt, so we went with that and bought X amount. When that batch is done, we will be sure to get them from US manufacturers...he should own up to his campaigns mistake..

He is not going to win the bin laden argument either. I think he is wrong that issue. IF US forces knew where he was, they had to go in and get him period. This is where Ron gets himself into trouble needlessly...

In both cases, they are unlikely to hurt him much since he has given his response already and while they are not great responses, they are at least understandable enough to overlook in light of his economic ideas etc...plus bin laden is dead..so the point is moot.

Article V
08-09-2011, 06:01 AM
It makes no sense to buy US-made shirts simply because they're US-made. Saving money by purchasing the shirts overseas makes Americans richer. His supporters have a shirt, plus the money that they saved, which they can use for other goods in America or to support Ron Paul's campaign even more (shirt + donation with $ saved).

You don't break a window to create a job, that makes our country poorer; so too, you don't buy expensive goods purely because they're American...that kind of thinking also makes our country poorer. Free market support is a support for efficiency in spending, which leads to efficient, productive American markets. And that's how we make a prosperous America!

Krugerrand
08-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Will if the t-shirt issue comes up, Ron deserves to get hit for that...there is no excuse for buying t-shirts that are not made in the states..I would just explain that decision by (incompetent) staff who made that decision. Ron was probably completely unaware of this before that reporter brought it up to him...the free trade argument is neutral...if true, he should say that X company offered the best price on the shirt, so we went with that and bought X amount. When that batch is done, we will be sure to get them from US manufacturers...he should own up to his campaigns mistake..

He is not going to win the bin laden argument either. I think he is wrong that issue. IF US forces knew where he was, they had to go in and get him period. This is where Ron gets himself into trouble needlessly...

In both cases, they are unlikely to hurt him much since he has given his response already and while they are not great responses, they are at least understandable enough to overlook in light of his economic ideas etc...plus bin laden is dead..so the point is moot.

It's the Democrats that have the union support that are looking for the Made in USA tags. Plus, I don't think people driving around in their KIA's and Lexus' are going to care where Ron Pauls t-shirts are made.

They will care that he is on record not liking how the Bin Laden operation unfolded. Bin Laden was the boogie man that kept neo-cons awake at night for 10 years. I'm fine with his answer to the subject - and had people listed to him from the beginning we would have captured OBL faster and at a far less expense than the road we traveled. But, Ron Paul doesn't need to convince me to vote for him. And, I fully expect the subject to be broached by FOX with no opportunity for him to explain his position - ie. a hand raise question.

BUSHLIED
08-09-2011, 12:04 PM
It makes no sense to buy US-made shirts simply because they're US-made. Saving money by purchasing the shirts overseas makes Americans richer. His supporters have a shirt, plus the money that they saved, which they can use for other goods in America or to support Ron Paul's campaign even more (shirt + donation with $ saved).

You don't break a window to create a job, that makes our country poorer; so too, you don't buy expensive goods purely because they're American...that kind of thinking also makes our country poorer. Free market support is a support for efficiency in spending, which leads to efficient, productive American markets. And that's how we make a prosperous America!

I agree that he probably saved money etc...but it's an emotional thing, the President needs to be seen supporting Americans...most people will react emotionally to hearing this and not hear his answer...it's smart politics to buy US t-shirts. I wish there were more buy USA stores. I try to buy US whenever I can...

Krugerrand
08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree that he probably saved money etc...but it's an emotional thing, the President needs to be seen supporting Americans...most people will react emotionally to hearing this and not hear his answer...it's smart politics to buy US t-shirts. I wish there were more buy USA stores. I try to buy US whenever I can...

I agree that in such a situation, it's hard to successfully explain the rationale. However, it's a perfect time to lament that people did not listen to him when he voted against NATA. It's a perfect time to lament that these so called "free trade" agreements are not "free trade" but government controlled trade. It's a perfect time to lament how sad and unfortunate it is that we setup a system that encourages manufacturing to leave our country and that he intends to fix that by steps 1, 2, and 3.

smtwngrl
08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, no attacking questions. He is not getting them this election, not like he was 4 years ago.

I did notice, though, that he didn't get as many questions as he should have, given his ranking in the Iowa polls.

Cain, Gingrich, and Pawlenty all got more questions, and he is higher in the polls than they are. Only Huntsman and Santorum got less questions.