PDA

View Full Version : Debate Hosted by Panel of Political Satirists?

Article V
08-07-2011, 06:21 AM
I know it's a long shot, but is there any way we could somehow arrange a GOP primary debate hosted by a panel of political satirists?

How great would it be if Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Greg Gutfeld, Andy Levy, Bill Maher, and Dennis Miller asked questions to the candidates? The ratings would be off the charts!

And Ron Paul might actually get treated fairly.

asurfaholic
08-07-2011, 06:51 AM
What a great idea!

I wonder if any of the other candidates would participate? Of course Romney is sitting it out..he doesn't join anything that isn't establishment moderated and covered.

Article V
08-07-2011, 07:07 AM
I started a Twitter campaign for this. #PoliticalSatireDebate

Spread it!

PastaRocket848
08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I doubt you'd get any candidates (or already any that have anything to lose) up there though. They may be forced to speak outside of sound bites!

Article V
08-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I doubt you'd get any candidates (or already any that have anything to lose) up there though. They may be forced to speak outside of sound bites!Considering the huge ratings the show would get, I definitely think the low polling candidates (Gary Johnson, Thad McCotter, Herman Cain) would attend; and once some GOP candidates announce their attendance, the rest will all follow and join the debate. Because any candidate who isn't part of the debate is invisible. So it's be seen and be a good sport, or be forgotten and let someone else steal the lead with their uncontested, incredible exposure.

KingRobbStark
08-07-2011, 09:17 AM
That would be great.

erowe1
08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I want to see a debate where all the host does is introduce the program, explain the rules of the debate to the audience, and interrupt a speaker when he breaks the rules.

The debate should be focused on a single topic, such as what to do about Obamacare, and have only 2-3 candidates in it. They should have plenty of time for opening and closing statements and rebuttals, and they should be the only people asking each other any questions.

In other words, it should be a debate.

sailingaway
08-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I want to see a debate where all the host does is introduce the program, explain the rules of the debate to the audience, and interrupt a speaker when he breaks the rules.

The debate should be focused on a single topic, such as what to do about Obamacare, and have only 2-3 candidates in it. They should have plenty of time for opening and closing statements and rebuttals, and they should be the only people asking each other any questions.

In other words, it should be a debate.

This.

FriedChicken
08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
OP, good idea.
erowe, good idea.

I hope to see either one happen but I'm not holding my breath. I think erowe's format would be more beneficial to RP and the OP's would get more attention and would be talked about more.

asurfaholic
08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Are they going to be doing any more debates where people text the station to determine who won the debate?? That seems to be the most reliable way gauge true reaction and support for the candidates.... Seems that since Romney's major loss to Ron Paul last election cycle they seem to stick to closed door voting...

White Bear Lake
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see a debate with 6 candidates. The time would be broken into 6 fifteen minute time slots. Each candidate would get a time slot where they get to choose the specific topic to be debated. Then there would be 15 minutes of uninterrupted debate time between all the candidates on the selected topic. The moderator would only jump in if the discussion was getting way too sidetracked, personal, etc and to inform the debaters that the 15 minutes is almost up.