PDA

View Full Version : 71% Support Five-Year Lobbying Ban For Ex-Members of Congress

libertybrewcity
08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Would you support a lobbying ban of five years for ex-members of Congress?

I think it would be an interesting way of reducing government seeing as many congressmen and women probably have friends that they persuade to help their interest group.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/august_2011/71_support_five_year_lobbying_ban_for_ex_members_o f_congress

headhawg7
08-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Only 5 years? Maybe it should be more? I checked 5. It should also include cabinet members and other bureaucrats.

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Replace 5 Years with LIFETIME and you've got yourself a deal.

Lobbyingy is legalized Bribery.

AZKing
08-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Voted no because I would expect a lifetime ban.

roho76
08-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Replace 5 Years with LIFETIME and you've got yourself a deal.

Lobbyingy is legalized Bribery.

No. Lobbying is the people's right to address their government. What makes lobbying bad is government agencies and regulations.

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Im talking about Corporate Lobbying. Not people. Oh, wait, Corporations are considered to be "legal" fictional people and have the same rights. Yeah, at the expense of ours for their fucking bottom line.

erowe1
08-07-2011, 09:02 AM
So the majority of people here are not big fans of the freedom of speech.

erowe1
08-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Im talking about Corporate Lobbying. Not people. Oh, wait, Corporations are considered to be "legal" fictional people and have the same rights. Yeah, at the expense of ours for their fucking bottom line.

They're not fictional. I'm a real person. If I and other real people decide to pool our money and delegate the spending of it to some board of directors (e.g. Revolution PAC), that's our right. Prohibiting us from doing that isn't just violating the rights of some fictional person, it's violating the rights of real individuals who want to use a corporation.

Exponent
08-07-2011, 09:11 AM
No. Regulating the act of lobbying is just like regulating in other areas: It is generally a band-aid to treat a symptom, but it allows the underlying problem to fester and grow. I'd rather search for some way to more fundamentally alter the system such that lobbying does not allow big money to inappropriately distort representation.

YumYum
08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
"Lobbying" our Congress and Executive Branch is the "loophole" that special interests have been using that has destroyed our country. The same rules that prohibit people from "lobbying" a Supreme Court Justice should apply to lobbying Congressman and the President. If not, all lobbying should be transparent for the public to see, and recorded. No backroom deals.

08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
When you try to prohibit a popular activity, people just find alternatives or flat out break the law. The problem is not that people can lobby their representatives- it's that the representatives do not uphold the constitution. If they did, there would be no welfare to be had for businesses or individuals.

dspectre
08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
When you try to prohibit a popular activity, people just find alternatives or flat out break the law. The problem is not that people can lobby their representatives- it's that the representatives do not uphold the constitution. If they did, there would be no welfare to be had for businesses or individuals.

Constitution or not, most people can be bought and sold period. The whole problem is the fundamental premise of bribing/lobbying. If a person can buy and sell someone, the procedure just becomes nothing but a glorified sideshow.

I don't know the inner workings of lobbying, but bribing laws should be enforced.

Just like many wrongdoings can be traced back to fraud, but very little is done about fraud. No, some other law is made up and enforced, but the fraud continues.

Aratus
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
conflicts of interest verses fast sleazy payoffs?
i see any ex-congressman or ex-congresswoman
as being capable of a memoir and book deal advances
let alone being open for speaking engagements, so
it seems fair any lobbying has a 5 year delay.

erowe1
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Constitution or not, most people can be bought and sold period. The whole problem is the fundamental premise of bribing/lobbying. If a person can buy and sell someone, the procedure just becomes nothing but a glorified sideshow.

I don't know the inner workings of lobbying, but bribing laws should be enforced.

Just like many wrongdoings can be traced back to fraud, but very little is done about fraud. No, some other law is made up and enforced, but the fraud continues.

I don't know what the bribing laws are. But it should be that the only time it's a crime to bribe someone is when you're bribing them to do something criminal.

I agree that what Congress does is criminal. But the problem is that it's not recognized by many people as criminal. You can't say it's not a crime to vote for bailouts, but it's a crime to bribe someone to do it.

DamianTV
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't know what the bribing laws are. But it should be that the only time it's a crime to bribe someone is when you're bribing them to do something criminal.

I agree that what Congress does is criminal. But the problem is that it's not recognized by many people as criminal. You can't say it's not a crime to vote for bailouts, but it's a crime to bribe someone to do it.

Especially when those companies that are doing the lobbying are the ones receiving the bailouts. Here, I'll pay you $100 bucks to put in your pocket if you promise me $10,000 from the public coffers. I'll go commit a crime, rip people off, then give you a cut. Thats the way I understand the bailouts and lobbying.

PineGroveDave
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
We don't need anything like this. I remember quite distinctly, Obama going on record stating that under his watch Lobbyists would not have a place in Washington. Where's your faith in our Commander in Chief people? ;) **grin**

erowe1
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Especially when those companies that are doing the lobbying are the ones receiving the bailouts. Here, I'll pay you $100 bucks to put in your pocket if you promise me $10,000 from the public coffers. I'll go commit a crime, rip people off, then give you a cut. Thats the way I understand the bailouts and lobbying.

Except it's Congress committing the crime. If that's not recognized, then the bribing shouldn't be considered bribing.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the real problem is Congress having too much freedom, not lobbyists having too much freedom.

PineGroveDave
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
In fact, I've still got his "Blueprint For America" in PDF and I believe he even stated it there...BBIAB folks. :D

AGRP
08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
There wouldnt be anyone to lobby if Washington didnt exist.

Ytrebil
08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
This would accomplish nothing anyway. They'll just get a family member to do their lobbying or some other loophole. Waste of time and infringement of freedoms.

LibertyEagle
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
No. Regulating the act of lobbying is just like regulating in other areas: It is generally a band-aid to treat a symptom, but it allows the underlying problem to fester and grow. I'd rather search for some way to more fundamentally alter the system such that lobbying does not allow big money to inappropriately distort representation.

I don't care if they lobby. What I want to stop are the bribes and the kickbacks. It seems to me that if we started trying politicians in a court of law who are found accepting these things, it would go a long way towards stopping them.

oyarde
08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
If you had term limits . it would prevent the need probably , or if there was no pension or benefits , salary only , that would have many self imposing term limits and returning to the private sector

erowe1
08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
If you had term limits . it would prevent the need probably , or if there was no pension or benefits , salary only , that would have many self imposing term limits and returning to the private sector

I think term limits could well make it worse. Representatives who hope to get reelected at least have some motivation to placate their voters. Lame ducks would have no incentive to placate anyone other than the lobbying firms they hope to work for after they're forced to leave Congress.

ChaosControl
08-08-2011, 10:24 AM
5 year is okay for a minimum, but I'd prefer lifetime ban.

oyarde
08-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I think term limits could well make it worse. Representatives who hope to get reelected at least have some motivation to placate their voters. Lame ducks would have no incentive to placate anyone other than the lobbying firms they hope to work for after they're forced to leave Congress.

That is an interesting thought ....

Krugerrand
08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Sounds nice ... but I vote against violating freedom of speech.

oyarde
08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
If I recall , lobbying in South Korea is only allowed by individuals .

Rothbardian Girl
08-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I support the rights of individuals to lobby (considering corporations as non-individual entities). I voted "yes" out of a knee-jerk reaction because of all the bullshit that goes on regarding bribes and kickbacks, though.

Kelly.
08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
imo, lobbying isnt the problem, is it the money that can be made via lobbying. (not in the employment sense, in the corporate welfare sense)

5 years is a step in the right direction, at least until we can kill the monetary incentive to lobby.