PDA

View Full Version : My Ron Paul story

guitarlifter
08-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Just thought I'd share some good news today. I work at GNC, and an older man (70+) came in to get some fish oil and some other things. As I was ringing him up, he said "did you hear about the troops that died in the helicopter crash?" I told him, "I don't know if you're one for conspiracy theories, but . . . " then I went into how I thought the crash might be related to the alleged killing of OBL in the recent months. I explained how there's so much conflicting evidence to believe that OBL was killed just recently, and the fact that the same troops that were allegedly in that mission were killed in a plane crash, which was conveniently blamed on the Taliban.

We eventually moved into a discussion on foreign policy, and he didn't like how we have bases all over the world. He wanted all troops to come home. He also doesn't like how public schools are so inefficient, yet they receive more and more money. He doesn't like the big government and all of the money that they waste or the taxes they impose. He said that he wasn't a democrat or republican. I told him that neither am I. I asked him if he had made a decision as to who he was going to vote for in the 2012 election, and he said he had no idea. I asked him if he knew who Ron Paul was, and he didn't. I told him to look him up. I told him what Ron stood for and how his long voting record proves that he stands like a rock on his beliefs and how he doesn't flip flop on issues to make people hear what they want to hear.

The guy wrote his name down, then I gave him a little note card with some of the main points that Ron would cover should he be elected. I told him to tell his friends as well.

Well, it's only one person, and he's not sold, but he seemed very keen to what I was saying about Ron Paul, and I think I influenced him for the better. But hey, it's all about a grassroots campaign, affecting one person at a time, right? I don't usually get a chance to do this, so I thought I'd share.

Kylie
08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Good job man!

This is how we do it, one by one.

Yieu
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Inspirational story, thanks for sharing.

Sola_Fide
08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I worked at GNC for years, even managed a couple in Louisville, and then worked on the corporate side of things for a few years. It's a great place to get to know people and talk about ideas with them because they are coming to you for nutritional knowledge so its easy to drop some other knowledge on them as well...usually on a one on one basis.

Cleaner44
08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
affecting one person at a time +rep

guitarlifter
08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I worked at GNC for years, even managed a couple in Louisville, and then worked on the corporate side of things for a few years. It's a great place to get to know people and talk about ideas with them because they are coming to you for nutritional knowledge so its easy to drop some other knowledge on them as well...usually on a one on one basis.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that if it wasn't the end of the night and him being my last customer. I'm either messing around with the store or trying to make boatloads of commission through sales. Plus I can't be shooting the shit when other customers are waiting. Oh, and I've also converted both my boss (store manager) and the other sales associate to being Ron Paul fans as well.

I love working at GNC because it isn't a physical labor job that takes away from my weight training because I'm too tired or overtrained to be effective in the weight room. I also don't have to pay half of my paycheck toward a food bill because I'm burning up thousands of more calories per day by doing labor, not to mention that I make more than any labor job I've ever done anyway. I also love working with customers and being in a relaxing environment. I'm a people person for sure. Oh, and I love the employee discount although I still get a lot of my stuff online. I still find some good deals from time to time though like clearance stuff that BOGOs.

What did you do on the corporate level? What did your advancement through the ranks look like?

Paulatized
08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I think if the older really knew what RP stood for they would support him. The problem is that they believe everything they hear on the TV, especially the "news."

Eric21ND
08-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Great story, but lose the conspiracy talk.