PDA

View Full Version : Other: Question on RP Vote to Extend Unemployment Benefits

Jeff Woods
08-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Back in December there was a vote to extend the unemployment benefits, and it is my understanding that Congressman Ron Paul voted for that extension. Could someone please explain to me how that is a Constitutional position?

I've since withdrawn my financial support for Ron Paul as I find it to be a position that doesn't fall under what i believe the Constitution represents. I do however continue to support Ron Paul in the ballot box and in most of my political positions.

Anyone?

specsaregood
08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Back in December there was a vote to extend the unemployment benefits, and it is my understanding that Congressman Ron Paul voted for that extension. Could someone please explain to me how that is a Constitutional position?

I've since withdrawn my financial support for Ron Paul as I find it to be a position that doesn't fall under what i believe the Constitution represents. I do however continue to support Ron Paul in the ballot box and in most of my political positions.

Anyone?

If you have this understanding then it should be relatively easy to provide a link or bill #. Or did somebody just tell you he did and you believed them?

acptulsa
08-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh? And you've found a more Constitutional person in Washington to support financially?

Regardless of whether it's strictly Constitutional or not, the fact is that Ron Paul is a man of the people, practical, and not so heartless as the liberals would make him out to be. Consider his position on Social Security. He would not cut off those people who have been unable to save for their own retirement or secure other disability insurance because they've been getting too much of their incomes stolen to feed the SSI beast over the decades of their working lives. Now, do you consider this an unprincipled position? Or something that is practical on the very face of it?

Well, now, what would the difference be between taking this position on SSI and taking this position in relation to unemployment insurance, or flood insurance, or any other kind of insurance in which the government has set itself up as a monopoly?

Jeff Woods
08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
If you have this understanding then it should be relatively easy to provide a link or bill #. Or did somebody just tell you he did and you believed them?

Actually I heard it from RP and contacted C4L to voice my disproval.

tsai3904
08-05-2011, 05:50 PM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll579.xml

November 18, 2010

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Continuation Act

Ron Paul voted No.

No unemployment bill came up for a vote in December.

Jeff Woods
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
ACPTulsa. Could you answer the question and stay on topic.

Unemployment isn't a Constitutional issue and when your fund dries up, you are out. Adding to it on the backs of other people is no different than welfare. Are there limitations to unemployment benefits? Or do they go on indefinitely.

angelatc
08-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Back in December there was a vote to extend the unemployment benefits, and it is my understanding that Congressman Ron Paul voted for that extension. ?

Youtube or it didn't happen.

angelatc
08-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Unemployment isn't a Constitutional issue and when your fund dries up, you are out. Adding to it on the backs of other people is no different than welfare. Are there limitations to unemployment benefits? Or do they go on indefinitely.

Dude - you're seriously going to try to out-fiscal conservative us? Heh. Here's another thing - you'll also get told that Ron Paul votes to fund abortion. Didn't happen either.

KCIndy
08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
tsai3904 makes a good point, with facts:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll579.xml

November 18, 2010

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Continuation Act

Ron Paul voted No.

No unemployment bill came up for a vote in December.

Just in case anyone missed it. :)

cucucachu0000
08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Didn't they vote on a bill that extended the bush tax cuts and extend unemployment? Is that what ur talking about?

tsai3904
08-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Didn't they vote on a bill that extended the bush tax cuts and extend unemployment? Is that what ur talking about?

You're right. Ron Paul did vote for that bill:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll647.xml

The bill extended the 99 week unemployment insurance but also extended the Bush tax cuts.

This was his statement on the bill (he doesn't mention unemployment insurance at all):
http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1809&Itemid=60

acptulsa
08-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Where did I go off topic? Why did you bring the Constitution up if you didn't consider it a Constitutional issue? How is insurance no different from welfare when it's workers who pay the premiums? And how can you say that it ever goes on forever? Did you really find a more Constitutional candidate to support than Ron Paul? And what Angela said--do you really expect to outdo our fiscal conservatism?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Feeding the Abscess
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Jeff:

It was part of the package that extended the Bush tax cuts at the end of last Congress' session. It was not a standalone bill.

cucucachu0000
08-05-2011, 07:18 PM
yea i can see making sure 300 million people dont get tax hikes in exchange for a few million to stay on unemployment, i do think its ridiculous to subsidizes being unemployed. my friends talk about hoping to get layed off to go on unemployment its disgusting. if you look at the time periods as to when people find new jobs its consistently the last 2 weeks of unemployment, it is by far the biggest jump in rejoining the work force (its cuz they are riding the gravy train and dont want to get off till they absolutely have to. i think the unemployment number would tick down a little bit if it wasnt there.

Brian4Liberty
08-05-2011, 09:21 PM
yea i can see making sure 300 million people dont get tax hikes in exchange for a few million to stay on unemployment, i do think its ridiculous to subsidizes being unemployed. my friends talk about hoping to get layed off to go on unemployment its disgusting. if you look at the time periods as to when people find new jobs its consistently the last 2 weeks of unemployment, it is by far the biggest jump in rejoining the work force (its cuz they are riding the gravy train and dont want to get off till they absolutely have to. i think the unemployment number would tick down a little bit if it wasnt there.

Yep, it is one of the bad decisions that has prevented an economic recovery.