PDA

View Full Version : Depressing #s (including for Ron) on how MSM trumps social media in translating to poll #s

sailingaway
08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/tvradio-is-still-the-best-way-for-political-candidates-to-influence-the-people-2011-8

Includes some tables showing candidate capture of radio/tv vs poll numbers as opposed to candidate capture of twitter etc vs poll numbers (includes Ron's) There is always the 'which came first, the radio/tv coverage or the poll numbers, but we definitely know that with Ron the major (non-cable) MSM covers him little unless he gets poll numbers first.

Conclusion: Ron needs to be on the air more. :(

Bern
08-05-2011, 07:42 AM
This underscores the importance of fundraising and straw polls for generating earned media.

harikaried
08-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I calculated out various news vs polling rates from another article based on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News mentions. The percentages including radio numbers seems to be quite different:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?305640-Statistics-of-candidate-mentions-on-MSNBC-CNN-Fox-News-compared-to-polling-data&p=3427707#post3427707

sailingaway
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I calculated out various news vs polling rates from another article based on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News mentions. The percentages including radio numbers seems to be quite different:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?305640-Statistics-of-candidate-mentions-on-MSNBC-CNN-Fox-News-compared-to-polling-data&p=3427707#post3427707

interesting

Elwar
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
According to google trends in 2008 the candidates should have been Ron Paul vs Barack Obama.

sailingaway
08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
And BO only after MASSIVE pushing by the media, over Clinton, if you look at the Dem side.

Article V
08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Conclusion: Ron needs to be on the air more. :(He also needs to be in their studios more.

Enough with appearing via satellite, it makes him feel more far removed (which visually isn't helping us dispel the concern that Ron Paul is too far outside the mainstream). To the TV viewer, there's a big difference between seeing Huckabee and Ron Paul communicate via satellite versus seeing them on the same couch together. There's a big difference between chatting with Glenn Beck via satellite and watching the two men shake hands in person.

I understand Ron Paul is out working the ground campaign, but it would do worlds of good for his national poll numbers if he could make time to appear in person on the various national programs. And a bump in his national polling would greatly help his ground campaign. So I wish he'd make time for both more often.

sailingaway
08-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty certain a lot of those appearances by satellite are last minute, current to a breaking news topic. Unlike Bachmann, people actually care about his conclusions on certain things, because his analysis is thoughtful and experienced. That is entirely apart from him running for anything. If Bachmann weren't running for President, she would not be on.

Article V
08-05-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty certain a lot of those appearances by satellite are last minute, current to a breaking news topic.That might be true. And I can appreciate that.

But he still needs to work on appearing in studio when it is possible. His campaign people need to negotiate this for him. (I know he's heading to New York shortly, so perhaps he'll be appearing in studio on a national program whilst he's here?) It would do a world of good to see Ron Paul shake hands with Sean Hannity and/or Bill O'Reilly. Respectful body language between a host and a candidate boosts support for the candidate (from those who trust the host) and support for the host (from those who trust the candidate)...and if you already trust both candidate and host then it's tune-in-worthy television reinforcing one's support of each.

Napoleon's Shadow
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iW5kOB1pmg&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eY-WAtkEg

Napoleon's Shadow
08-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Direct mail and door-to-door as well as advocacy calling is actually more effective than mass-media advertising.

FriedChicken
08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
What this means to me is that we, the grassroots, should take it up a notch. Right now RP08 is practically begging forumers in another thread to call identified RP supporters that he found in his robo calling and urge them to attend the Ames Straw poll.

He's only gotten one volunteer ...

We need to ALL be on the phones in our spare time, that alone would add a significant bump in his polling I'd wager and its the easiest and cheapest thing we can do - especially those of us who only have time during baby naps after work and live in late primary states like Indiana!

The more supporters we round up (get on the phone and find them!) the more donations RP will get and the more we'll see mass media.

angelatc
08-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I think Paul is doing a great job. He's been on the air more in the past 4 years than all the other candidates combined. I really believe that his speaking style is better now, and my husband mentioned the same thing when he heard him on Savage.

We need to buy spots to reinforce his presence, but he's really a lot more popular than he was last time around.

Carehn
08-05-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't think those # are that solid. It was an ok article but this is not concrete evidence of anything. I bet i could give each alphabetical symbol in their names a number and find a way to link that to poll numbers. It would not mean anything.

This is how the hole 2012 or 2000 or may 21 shit gets going. Bad reasoning skills. Though i will admit this is not as far fetched but lets not place to much faith in this one article.