PDA

View Full Version : WA-Cartoonist who writes anti cop parodies likely to be charged with "cyberstalking".

Anti Federalist
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Links to original story at site.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT THE RENTON POLICE DEPARTMENT, PEACE BE UNTO THEM!

Aug 4, 2011
By Ken.
Law, Politics & Current Events

http://www.popehat.com/2011/08/04/behead-those-who-insult-the-renton-police-department-peace-be-unto-them/

What separates us from the Islamofascists, we’re told, is that we support free expression and they don’t. They get violently exercised by cartoons; we’re above that.

Yeah, about that . . .

The Renton, Washington Police Department and Renton Chief Prosecutor Shawn Arthur aren’t breaking windows or throwing firebombs or stoning anyone. At least not yet. However, they are using a kind of violence — the coercive power of the state — to retaliate against a cartoonist. Their methods may not involve overt force, but their motives are repugnant to American values of freedom of expression.

KIRO investigative reporter Chris Halsne broke the story. He learned that the Renton P.D. is butthurt over a series of YouTube animated cartoons poking fun at issues in their ranks — including, apparently, officers having “dating relationships” with suspects. The videos — apparently created on xtranormal.com — have unidentified cops and city officials engaging in discussions lampooning departmental scandals.

In America, that’s no harm, no foul, right? We have a First Amendment. You can make fun of people, even if it hurts their feelings. You can speak, forcefully and satirically, about the conduct of government business. If you make false statements about someone, you might be in for a libel suit, but you’re not going to go to jail for cartoons in America, right?

Well, there’s America, and there’s Shawn Arthur’s Renton.

Now, cops will want to do stupid, stupid, lawless things. Prosecutors are supposed to exercise some judgment and haul them back from the precipice of unconstitutional thuggery. But some prosecutors — because they’re political hacks who owe their position to the police, because they’re strictly fourth-rate lawyers, or because they’re thugs themselves — fail to provide that check and balance. Renton Chief Prosecutor Shawn Arthur is such a lawyer. He sought and obtained a a search warrant directed at Google to find the identity of the author of the YouTube videos, using the pretext that the Washington state law against “cyberstalking.” That ludicrously overbroad law provides as follows:

(1) A person is guilty of cyberstalking if he or she, with intent to harass, intimidate, torment, or embarrass any other person, and under circumstances not constituting telephone harassment, makes an electronic communication to such other person or a third party:

(a) Using any lewd, lascivious, indecent, or obscene words, images, or language, or suggesting the commission of any lewd or lascivious act;

(b) Anonymously or repeatedly whether or not conversation occurs; or

(c) Threatening to inflict injury on the person or property of the person called or any member of his or her family or household.

Shawn Arthur and his affiant, Renton Police Officer Ryan Rutledge, asserts that the cartoonist, by his cartoons, has violated this section by using lewd and indecent words with intent to embarrass officers of the Renton Police Department:

It is my belief that the targets made in these videos target specific members of the City of Renton and Renton Police Department with the intent to embarrass and emotionally torment the victims by use of electronic communications to such persons or to a third party.

Perhaps the City of Renton and the Renton Police Department is made up of weepy weaklings who are easily hurt and tormented. If so, perhaps they should move to Canada. I understand they’re quite solicitous of hurt feelings there.

But wait, you say. Cops will be cops, and hack lawyers will hack lawyers, but what about the judiciary? Surely no judge will sign a search warrant based on a theory that so patently violates the First Amendment?

Isn’t it pretty to think so. But meet Kings County Judge James D. Cayce, who rubberstamped a search warrant seeking to unveil a cartoonist on the theory that be committed “cyberstalking” by posting cartoons making fun of police officers and city officials. That, in my experience, is how state judges act. They are no bulwark at all.

I’ll watch this case from here. Will Google fight evil and challenge this search warrant? If not, will Shawn Arthur attempt to bring charges against the cartoonist? Does he realize that though he has absolute immunity for lawless prosecutions, he does not have absolute immunity for seeking a search warrant based on protected expression? Time will tell.

For now, thanks to the Streisand Effect, Shawn Arthur and Ryan Rutledge have assured that many thousands more viewers will enjoy the cartoons about their police department than would have without their censorious crusade.

It occurs to me that, in this post, I have, with the intent to embarrass censorious and thuggish public officials, used obscene language to make electronic communications to them or to third parties. Under their ludicrously unconstitutional interpretation of Washington’s silly statute, I am guilty of a crime.

Come get me, fuckers.

Hat tip to Balko.

AGRP
08-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Sworn to uphold and defend our liberty.

flightlesskiwi
08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
It occurs to me that, in this post, I have, with the intent to embarrass censorious and thuggish public officials, used obscene language to make electronic communications to them or to third parties. Under their ludicrously unconstitutional interpretation of Washington’s silly statute, I am guilty of a crime.

Come get me, fuckers.

embracing one's inner outlaw. :-*

AGRP
08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Can someone post the said cartoons/videos?

My First Name Is Paul
08-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Congress shall make no law...

But the town of Renton, on the other hand... (unless of course the state of Washington has a free speech clause. I haven't checked.)

dannno
08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Ya, the first thing that came to mind was the prostitution video that was posted recently. It referenced a specific Judge I believe, I was curious where that came from so I wonder if it's related to this.

Icymudpuppy
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Washington State Constitution

SECTION 5 FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Every person may freely speak, write and publish on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right.

pcosmar
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Someone could,,possibly,,,
http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756245/index.html
http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756506/index.html

CaseyJones
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756245/index.html Locker Room Parody

http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756506/index.html Jail Parody

not watched em all yet so not sure if safe for work yet

[ Edit pcosmar beat me]

pcosmar
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756245/index.html Locker Room Parody

http://www.kirotv.com/video/28756506/index.html Jail Parody

not watched em all yet so not sure if safe for work yet

[ Edit pcosmar beat me]

:)
Not Unsafe as far as I can tell (depends where you work)
might not be safe working at Renton PD.

I think they are someone with specific inside information of the Dept. They seem to address subjects that would be known to certain people.

Interesting and humorous.

Freedom 4 all
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Some blame the Christian Right for the current state of our freedoms. While I find much about them distasteful, they are NOT the problem. It is a religion, but nothing that can be rightly called Christianity. Statist Idolatry is the new religion, and it's far more dangerous to our freedom. With this instance, these cops have proven themselves every bit as fanatical, unreasonable and freedom-hating as those Muslims in Denmark or wherever.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Another one of the original 9 XtraNormal videos:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/11599075/score-parody-part-deux

Watch it now, before the cops send it down the memory hole.

DamianTV
08-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So, wouldnt that also mean that the producers of the Reno 911! TV show would also get charged? What kind of a world is this? Bizarro World?

Krugerrand
08-05-2011, 05:39 AM
I was never a fan of the anti-bully laws to begin with. I always thought we're better off teaching kids how to deal with bullies than to run to somebody else for protection.

pcosmar
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I was never a fan of the anti-bully laws to begin with. I always thought we're better off teaching kids how to deal with bullies than to run to somebody else for protection.

Agreed,, but this has nothing to do with children or bullying.
The guy is talking about some very questionable and corrupt (and likely illegal)practices.

And there is no mention of direct names, but apparently some people know exactly what he is talking about.

Perhaps he should do one that names names and dates, and release it to a wider audience.
That is likely what those that want him charged, fear.

Krugerrand
08-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Agreed,, but this has nothing to do with children or bullying.
The guy is talking about some very questionable and corrupt (and likely illegal)practices.

And there is no mention of direct names, but apparently some people know exactly what he is talking about.

Perhaps he should do one that names names and dates, and release it to a wider audience.
That is likely what those that want him charged, fear.

From the OP, the laws they're trying to use against this person sure sound like anti-bullying laws.

TonySutton
08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
So they are bullying him with anti-bullying laws...

this is bizarro world :(

pcosmar
08-05-2011, 07:50 AM
So they are bullying him with anti-bullying laws...

this is bizarro world :(

Actually they are just *threatening him (or her). And they don't even know who it is.

*violation of Rule 25, Making Threats.

acptulsa
08-05-2011, 07:56 AM
This can't fly. So, you can criticize the government on paper but you can't criticize the government on the web without running afoul of the cyberstalking law? Stalking a police department? Laughable. They can't possibly expect this to stand up on appeal. Not possible. So, why?

Actually they are just *threatening him (or her). And they don't even know who it is.

*violation of Rule 25, Making Threats.

Aha! They're not trying to make this stick. They're just trying to force pre-trial discovery so they can find out who it is. Then they can illegally (but with plausible deniability) harass the living snot out of that person. Well, that explains it.

acptulsa
08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Can't make someone's life a living hell if you can't figure out who it is. Damn the anonymity of the 'net...

TonySutton
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
I feel cyber bullied by the MSM on a daily basis

My First Name Is Paul
08-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Washington State Constitution

SECTION 5 FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Every person may freely speak, write and publish on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right.

Excellent! As long we recognize that the 1st amendment does not apply to anything other than Congress.

pcosmar
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Excellent! As long we recognize that the 1st amendment does not apply to anything other than Congress.

Exsqueeze me?

The first amendment forbids the federal from writing any laws that forbid or infringe on free speech.

The bill of rights recognizes and enumerates certain HUMAN RIGHTS.

the First Amendment applies to humans. Freedom of Speech is a human right.