PDA

View Full Version : Internet Sales Tax

truthdivides
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/03/with-spending-cuts-only-deal-passed-dems-seek-new-revenues-in-online-sales/?test=latestnews

Don't worry, it is only a revenue increase, not a tax.

DamianTV
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Think of it this way. City and State Govts, as well as Federal are collecting less in taxes because of the number of people that arent working and arent spending.

If they really wanted to stimulate our economy, they would CUT Taxes. Cutting taxes would give people more money to spend. The more money they spend, the more businesses make, and can afford to hire new employees. Those new employees spend their paychecks somewhere, as opposed to a person who isnt making anything or is living off of Govt handout programs. Basically, the more people that are working, the more people that would be paying taxes.

AZKing
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
... and are touting the support of Amazon and other online retailers who say they’re fine with an across-the-board system that would make tax collections simple.

What?!? Doesn't Amazon always skip town whenever internet sales taxes are enforced? I've read more than one story of them abandoning certain states because of sales taxes.

Many states already have a "use tax" for online purchases, but it usually isn't enforced. You're supposed to pay sales tax (there's a line for it on your income tax form I think) to the state if you intend to use the item within the state.

chasedbychase
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I Agree with Both AZKing and DamianTV. I also agree in order to stimulate the economy, you have to cut tax. Thank You "TruthDivides" for posting.

AZKing
08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
One more note:

For too long, U.S. tax policy has favored online-only retailers over the brick-and-mortar stores that creates the jobs...

Online retailers don't create jobs? Absolute nonsense... She represents RILA and she's going to talk about jobs? The retail stores she represents all sell cheap Made in China crap and their employees make minimum wage at best.

Imaginos
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Economy destroying, job market slaughtering the 'big brother' government at its finest.
Dear our overlords, I have a better idea.
Why don't you tax oxygen?
People who breath deeper paying more and people with Pulmonary disease will get special discount since they breath so shallow!
That would be swell!
And how about taxing people who are tall?
I heard tall people take up more 'space' than short people so those evil tall people should pay extra tax for it.

truthdivides
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
This will only be the start of the internet losing its freedom, which is a shame. It is one of the few things that has freedom left. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a download tax for every file downloaded once the government gets involved.

Carehn
08-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Thank God!

Zippyjuan
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Think of it this way. City and State Govts, as well as Federal are collecting less in taxes because of the number of people that arent working and arent spending.

If they really wanted to stimulate our economy, they would CUT Taxes. Cutting taxes would give people more money to spend. The more money they spend, the more businesses make, and can afford to hire new employees. Those new employees spend their paychecks somewhere, as opposed to a person who isnt making anything or is living off of Govt handout programs. Basically, the more people that are working, the more people that would be paying taxes.

The recent FAA shutdown eleminated some taxes on airlines (temporarily). Did the airlines offer lower prices to consumers or hire more people? No, they kept the money and even raised their airfares by the amount that the tax cut would have reduced the price of a ticket.

Zippyjuan
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
One more note:

Online retailers don't create jobs? Absolute nonsense... She represents RILA and she's going to talk about jobs? The retail stores she represents all sell cheap Made in China crap and their employees make minimum wage at best.

Online retaliers don't have the same costs (or need as many employees) to sell you the same amount of stuff. This means fewer people building retail stores, fewer people stocking them, fewer sales people. For the consumer, this means lower prices. On the other hand, it does mean fewer jobs which means fewer paychecks and in turn fewer people with less money to spend on goods and services creating even more jobs.

Vessol
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM

A euphemism of a euphemism. I fucking love MiniTru.

brushfire
08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
What?!? Doesn't Amazon always skip town whenever internet sales taxes are enforced? I've read more than one story of them abandoning certain states because of sales taxes.

Both IL and CA have attacked internet sales, and have seen Amazon take its jobs elsewhere.

trey4sports
08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Online retaliers don't have the same costs (or need as many employees) to sell you the same amount of stuff. This means fewer people building retail stores, fewer people stocking them, fewer sales people. For the consumer, this means lower prices. On the other hand, it does mean fewer jobs which means fewer paychecks and in turn fewer people with less money to spend on goods and services creating even more jobs.

Jobs mean nothing in terms of productivity. The best option is the customer getting the good at as low of a price as possible therefore he will have more money to put in other sectors of the economy. by penalizing online retailers you artificially increase the cost of goods by eliminating the more efficient producer and therefore more funds will be diverted to an artificially high cost item as opposed to being invested in other sectors.

Think of it this way....

I need an electronic toothbrush, and i have 100 dollars spending money for the month, i can buy the same quality toothbrush for either 20 or 15 dollars. Obviously i choose the 15 dollar toothbrush online and i now have 85 dollars i can invest in other areas as opposed to only 80 dollars. Now this will put the brick-and-mortar store employees out of business (the ones who charge 20 for the toothbrush), however, these employees will gravitate toward other areas of the economy that are in-demand (where i would spend my other 80 dollars)

So the end result is that the consumer gets a better product for a better price and yes, those who cant compete do lose their job but they move towards a more in-demand area of the economy.

Zippyjuan
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Jobs mean nothing in terms of productivity. The best option is the customer getting the good at as low of a price as possible therefore he will have more money to put in other sectors of the economy. by penalizing online retailers you artificially increase the cost of goods by eliminating the more efficient producer and therefore more funds will be diverted to an artificially high cost item as opposed to being invested in other sectors.

Think of it this way....

I need an electronic toothbrush, and i have 100 dollars spending money for the month, i can buy the same quality toothbrush for either 20 or 15 dollars. Obviously i choose the 15 dollar toothbrush online and i now have 85 dollars i can invest in other areas as opposed to only 80 dollars. Now this will put the brick-and-mortar store employees out of business (the ones who charge 20 for the toothbrush), however, these employees will gravitate toward other areas of the economy that are in-demand (where i would spend my other 80 dollars)

So the end result is that the consumer gets a better product for a better price and yes, those who cant compete do lose their job but they move towards a more in-demand area of the economy.

You have more money to spend but the guy who used to sell you the toothbrush has less to spend.

DamianTV
08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Wouldnt the whole subject of Internet Sales Tax be akin to National Sales Tax?

Not saying that a National Sales Tax is a great idea, personally I think we should Cut Taxes to stimulate the Economy, but that only lasts so long with a Fiat Currency. However, a National Sales Tax would effectively tax everything that is currently taxed equally, direct and apportioned, regardless if it is an Internet Sale or not.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
They have no right to tax internet purchases. Nobody owns the internet. I know some states already collect tax if you purchase from Amazon, such as NY. That is funny actually, since I live in NJ, and I bought a gift for somebody on Amazon who lives in NY. I got charged tax for sending it to NY! But I live in NJ! Stupid scam.

Working Poor
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
What?!? Doesn't Amazon always skip town whenever internet sales taxes are enforced? I've read more than one story of them abandoning certain states

yes they do. I wonder why they do it? Is it only because of the cost of bookkeeping? What kind of statement does it make to people? I am pretty sure the internet is owned by a bunch of hackers and we will do what they say do.

trey4sports
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
You have more money to spend but the guy who used to sell you the toothbrush has less to spend.

that's the point. I've proven to be more efficient and the other guy has been weeded out by the free-market. If he wants to earn more money his services will have to be directed to an area of the economy where he can be more efficient.